Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Weird brake question 95 Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:54 AM
birdco85
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird brake question 95 Bronco

So quick backstory, 95 bronco, ABS system has been removed, 9 inch in rear, and my own disk brake kit. When I did the 9 inch swap I put calipers from an 87 thunderbird on that were recommended by another user that strictly uses his bronco off-road, and rotors from from an 02 Kia Sportage. They are the closest in thickness to a stock Thunderbird rotor, 5x5.5 Bolt pattern and are 11.2" diameter. Not bad for an off the shelf rotor. I kept everything stock up front and before the swap it seemed to stop pretty well, I was able to lock up the tires on the street.

Now after the conversation, everything seems crappy. After the initial run I gutted the stock proportioning valve and it helped, barely. Then I tried to upgrade to the lightning master and at the same time replaced my booster. The booster failed the engine off test but did good with the engine on so I figured why not. Well I didn't have enough boost for the lightning master (1-1/4" bore) so off it came and the stocker went back on. Still crappy brakes.

I finally got around to completely removing the abs motor and converted most everything to -3 up front. I also added a Wilwood prop valve inline for the rear. Way simpler for sure and easier to make I feel. I really thought that was going to be it because in my mind the abs motor had air or something wrong with it but it seems it didn't.

I still can't even get the rears to lock up in the dirt! I've tried a lot of positions on the prop valve and it makes minor changes but nothing that tickles my pickle.

I then replaced the stock master because it would slowly fall to the floor with the engine on, so after researching that found that that means fluid is bypassing the pistons and it needs replacing. So a new one is in, everything bled, brakes still suck! The pedal feels pretty good though, not spongy at all, not too firm.

So, way back when my axle seals disintegrated from some incorrectly installed bearings, the rotors and pads were soaked with gear lube, I replaced the pads when I fixed the seals but not the rotors. After which, the brakes still sucked, so I replace pads front and rear with Wagner ceramics. Still sucks.

So my question is, in the rear, do you guys think the rotors being soaked in gear lube will make them never bite again? I didn't turn the rotors or anything after new pads. I'm about to light this thing on fire. What am I doing wrong? Should I replace all rotors and pads? Power stop makes a kit for the front with drilled slotted rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads for $170. They make fancy pads for the tbird calipers and I can get whatever rotors I want for the rear also (drilled, slotted, or both) and put those on, do a whole other brake in procedure and see how it goes. I'm just really worried the rear will still not work right. And the calipers so travel normal, I pushed the brake pedal while they were unmounted and the piston traveled normally.

I'm just at a loss and getting super frustrated, so is my wife, and want the brakes to work normal. I do not have room for a f350 booster or hydro boost because of my coilover towers unless I cantilever the master. I don't have a garage at the moment so fab is a little hard.

What do you guys think? Help me out!!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:12 PM
birdco85
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump! Anyone?