Does anyone live in a 5th wheel as "permanent residence"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Does anyone live in a 5th wheel as "permanent residence"?

Just curious here if anyone has made a home out of a 5th wheel trailer, not necessarily those that are on the road in it more than not, rather a patch of land that is yours somewhere with permanent hook ups? How hard is it to set up like that? Aside from a smaller footprint home, are there any considerations you can think of?

Frame of reference - I'm tossing around some ideas for a change of residence. Modular/manufactured homes (off-site manufactured house, not "mobile homes" as in trailer park) are among my ideas. Though, I do some road trips each year and would like to do more as the years go on. A 5th wheel may be in my future regardless, I just thought I would entertain the idea of it and try to find out from some here that may be doing this or have tried it. I can think of a lot more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't but plenty of folks do, you also have to remember that some 5th wheel builders claim that their rigs are year round, 4 seasons full time living. These trailers are the better built, more expensive rigs with good insulation, maybe thicker walls and ceilings etc.

I would think that it would also depend on how you lived in it and how many adults and kids were there. If you found a quality maybe older to fit your budget 5th wheel and really treated it well you "shouldn't" have many problems.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
in my area.. are many "OIL" workers.. 1 to 2 years in one place then move to next job for 1 to 2 years..

5th wheel trailers are the number One in Sales of long time and Full time users.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Given our TVA lake campgrounds I work on dozens and dozens of fivers with folks doing that. Not so great in the winter, but otherwise okay. If you buy new be sure to check the warranty as some manufacturers state in their warranty their RV or components in it (read those warranties too), do not cover fill time living.

Steve

Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
My sister lived in one for years. Out in Arizona so no real problems with the cold. But two A/C's is a must.

They got along fine with it. Just had to make perm connections to power/water/elect.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for the info. Dealing with the cold was one topic I was curious about - insulation. I read the thread about condensation on some inside walls due to warm temps/AC and not much ventilation. One issue I am aware of with houses on stilts is floor insulation and, maybe more so, blocking airflow from under the building. I presume that would still be something to deal with on a 5th wheel.

Appliances are another topic. The AC units seems to be a hot topic. What about dish washers, refrigerators, washer/dryer? Are the grade of appliances usually found on 5th wheels fairly good quality? Easy to repair?

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If you buy new be sure to check the warranty as some manufacturers state in their warranty their RV or components in it (read those warranties too), do not cover fill time living.
Good information. Are there manufacturers that are higher quality and built to last longer that would be a better investment than others? Jayco and Montana seem to be pretty popular it seems.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Look for double pain windows and the differences between one manufacturers "4 seasons package" when comparing to another. They are drastically different at times.

As for appliances, they can be easy to repair depending on the service needed. They can be a nightmare as well. Washing machines are smaller and typically found as one unit that can take 3x longer to complete a load. I always compare the washer to the ones we had in England when I was stationed there.

Dish washers, I have only seen those in really high end 5th wheels and class A models.

Refrigerators, there are a lot of models floating around and really your only choices should be do you want residential or RV style and if you want RV style, do you want a double or single wide?

We don't currently live in our trailer, but we will be living in a 5th wheel in the near future. We plan to use a Montana High Country 313RE that I will customize to be a boondocking king. The trailer fits our personal needs and requirements the best after looking a hundreds of RV's.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If you seriously camp in cold weather, you will need plenty of propane and should count on finding a ducting system that belongs in a comic book in terms of design. As suggested 4-Season or Arctic packaging can have wide variations in meanings.

As a general rule, RVs do not do well in cold weather.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
How would full time stationary rigs deal with the black tank?

I know you'd have full hook-ups with sewer, but you can't just leave the gate valve open on the black tank or you'll get the dreaded poop pyramid problem.

The gray tanks aren't as bad since they (generally) don't have any solids to pile up in the tank where the drains enters.

Would they just wait til the tank gets full, them dump it like you would when camping? All at once to flush the solids out too.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Use enough water when you flush and build-up is not a problem, so that or dump occasionally just like in a campground.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:01 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,290 Posts
Something to think about with condensation is that it will build up inside your cupboards/ closets (look in the corners and seems for mold) one way to prevent this is opening the cupboards at night, occasionally wipe the walls down with your choice of cleaning solution.

Also maybe between the bed and slide out wall if there isn't any air circulation.

Just something to think about or look for.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
ALWAYS leave black tank closed! That pyramid is a reality. I leave grays open when on full hookup, no problem.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I just open them both. Never had a problem...sound gross but my main bathroom is a straight shot, who could miss.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:32 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
There really is very seldom a problem leaving the black open provided you use enough water when you flush. Countless campers set up permanently here at the lake never close their valves. Not saying that is best practices. Sometimes there is a problem, but it is a not common.

If you go way way back in time, you might recall when this was discussed by one of the columnists writing for Trailer Life.

Steve

Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,290 Posts
Now how can we conserve water when trying to flush down the brown monsters. No more complaining about low water levels in the lakes, reservoirs or rivers.

Quick Reply: Does anyone live in a 5th wheel as "permanent residence"?