1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Thinking about buying 78-79 F150 Explorer??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM
iLooknasty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying 78-79 F150 Explorer??

I know a guy that runs a small "Classic Vehicle" sales and scrapyard, and he recently got a 78 or 79 Baby Blue F150 Explorer 4x4 w/ 351 "High Performance" (Says the valve covers) and an auto trans.

He decided to just part it out possibly cause he lost the title and he doesnt wanna mess with it. He said i could buy it for $700...

Ive owned many of these trucks, and ive never seen one with this little rust for this cheap. The only rust at all is a couple small holes in the bottom of the doors, and 1 quarter sized hole on the driver side bed. GRILL LOOKS NEW, and the doors / hood open and close so easily... haha

Its also a factory A/C and has all Explorer badges. It runs very well, but has no A/C compressor, but all the lines, box, ect.

What im asking is should i get it??? He said i could buy new VIN tags off ebay, and i have owned many of these trucks and had to scrap them due to being to far gone for me to fix... So he told me to take an old registartion and apply for lost title... and make a new VIN tag?

Any and all thoughts would be awesome. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Jonnyuma
Laughing Gas
Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
How hard is it in your state to get a replacement title? Does he have a Bill of Sale or any documentation to prove it's a clean title, or even a Salvage title, if that's a "thing" in your state.

You can buy blank VIN tags and even the proper rivets to attatch em. But I'm pretty sure that VIN tampering is illegal in all 50 states. The real crime is committed when someone tries to pass off a 6 cyl Nova as an SS or Yenko and has restamped the VIN tag(s) to back up their claim....literally highway robbery for the unsuspecting buyer. It's been a high-dollar problem in the Barrett-Jackson-fueled musclecar world for years.

You're not trying to rip anybody off, I get that, but I would strongly advise against restamping a VIN tag. Check your state's titling laws to be sure before you do anything...a new title may only cost a couple hundo. Sounds like it might be worth it.

ETA: I just reread your post and you said that HE lost the title. That means it should be clear, if he actually had it at one point. Do a title search at the DMV and see if it's clean. If it is, I'd buy it.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM
iLooknasty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i want it for me, haha and if its an explorer or anything out of being a normal F150 ide like to keep it that way. but im not sure on the laws, ill call the BMV tomorrow and ask. He had the title from previous owner and before he had a chance to file it in his name he lost it, He doesnt want to sell it because hes affraid of the headache, but its a reallllllly nice truck.

I figured the VIN tag swapping was illegal, but he knows i wouldnt be reselling it and said hes done it a few time on old pre-40's cars.

The guy doesnt want the headache and idk if a bill of sale would work, wish they made this stuff easier for older vehicles...