Sponsored by:

Overreacting or....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM
jazz77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Overreacting or....?

We took our Ex to a local business and got almost 6k worth of work done prior to our trip. This included specific instructions to inspect the brake systems and replace anything that needed it. The work done included new front calipers, pads, hubs, new xrf ball joints, new shocks all the way around including dual fronts, a 6.0 tranny cooler and all new fluids. I alook tried getting a magtec differential cover installed but was told it didn’t fit.

Long story short, while on the road we began to notice a grinding noise occasionally on small bumps. In redding ca our rear drivers side brake pads basically disintegrated and we were stranded while BigO replaced both pads, calipers and one rotor. They also advised that the slide pins were frozen on both calipers. This had no effect on the other noise I described.

Now that we're home we went back to the original shop and explained what happened. The owner agreed to take another look at the truck but basically said he stands behind his employees. He admitted that they chose not to examine the rear brakes to save usome "3 hours" of shop time. He also said that the rear brakes would've cost the same regardless of if they'd replaced them instead of BigO.

When my wife pointed out that our family had been first of all put in danger and secondly stranded by his worker's shoddy examination he said "I'm sorry, what more do you expect ". He then preceded to ask why I insisted on doing so much work to such an old, high mileage truck. I left our truck with him so they could see if the sound could be traced back to anything they worked on and off course they didn't hear it.

I'm going back there tomorrow to take him for a drive and show him the noise which I repeat only started after their work was done. Am I wrong to be furious and think this crap is completely bs?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Jazz, you gave him specific instructions to *inspect the brake system and replace what needs to be replaced *!! Please tell when did the brake system not include the rear brakes?!! When you get shoddy work, you run away as fast as you can, but I understand that you have spent so much money with him, that you want the wrongs fixed right. I would move on from him. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's a jerk and anything else you have him do, he'll make sure to sound like you're getting a great deal. And alot of guys run mag hytec covers including myself. So yes, I would be pissed.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there any rear brake work noted on your receipt? To play devils advocate here, the rear brakes of most vehicles don't see much punishment and if they had sufficient pad material left on them, there wouldn't be much cause to do anything to them unless they are trying to soak you for money.
I run mag hytec covers myself and found that there are two different designs for the front diff. The early design interfered with the trac bar on compression but the late design fits great. Unless they were referring to the rear diff hitting the gas tank, which is not possible.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:59 PM
jazz77
Senior User
I'm not sure if it's an older model cover but that is something I'll definitely check into. It's my fault for trusting them/being in a huge rush but the once I actually looked at the rotors I could see that the pad had been making minimal (2" area) for enough to time for thick corrosion to build up.

I only intend to have them fix any issues with the work they've already done. Anything else I'll do myself.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Doing your own work is IMHO the best way to go anyhow. Chasing issues on a shops dime can get expensive really fast, especially when you start modding things. You will know the early from the late cover by the fins at the top. The late cover has the fins at a steep angle that allows the trac bar room to travel. The early cover looks better as it has more fins, but has the interference issue. Here is a late cover for reference, you can see the angled fins at the top:

Old 08-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In what shop does it take 3 hours to"inspect" rear brakes? I've come to the conclusion that customer service in America is dead. My family has been subject to these exact scenarios lately. I too have been trying to get home improvement businesses out to my home for estimates on jobs and they just don't call back or show up. Seems no one wants to take your money in that industry. With car repairs, if youre able youre almost always better off to do them yourself but who has the time anymore.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:21 PM
jazz77
Senior User
Blak: that's exactly the issue I had, we were working 60-70 hours a week and only had a few weeks to get the ex ready for the trip...

Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
I know the feeling. I get my 40 plus in 4 days and still can't seem to find time for everything I need to do.

I would be just as mad as you about this situation. You had a reasonable expectation that they would do what you asked. Sounds like for the money you spent they could have and should have done a free brake inspection which to me as a former tech, for someone going on a road trip, would mean a disassembly of the calipers and close inspection of the pins and pads and pistons. Seems reasonable to me

Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
I know you spent your money already, but I sure as hell would not let them even take a look at my truck again. If they couldn't fix it the first time I wouldn't give them a second time...

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 PM
jazz77
Senior User
Name:  ForumRunner_20160811_205801.png
Views: 610
Size:  372.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160811_205816.png
Views: 598
Size:  503.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160811_205839.png
Views: 603
Size:  453.4 KB

These are pics of the differential cover they said didn't fit which appears to be the newer version, the rotor in question and also the ubolts which are supposedly new but seem suspiciously as rusty as the springs....

Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
The business owner asking why you wanted to spend so much money on such an old high mileage truck is an oxymoron. The fact that this man still has a business is a miracle. He doesn't seem to understand how his business exists. That question from the owner of the repair shop just blows my mind. It makes absolutely no sense.
Needless to say if he doesn't get it he shouldn't get your money again.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Those are not new ubolts, those rotors are rusty enough to see something is wrong and that cover should have no problem fitting the vehicle. Can't cut them any slack seeing those pics.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:37 PM
jazz77
Senior User
Name:  ForumRunner_20160811_213508.png
Views: 541
Size:  448.7 KB

I pointed out to him that the ubolt for the sway bar which I know is new and was installed at the same time is clearly newer than the ones they supposedly replaced when removing the rear block.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ummm yeah..I think for spending 6K to have all that done and to not inspect the rear brakes and then break down qualifies as a **** offable offense. People can make honest mistakes and sometimes people are just mistakes waiting to happen. I would be major aggravated but the thing that is over the top is the guy's attitude. That is a **** poor way to treat someone under any circumstances. It's a whole different story if they do everything they can to make it right....unfortunately, THAT didn't happen. When we work on our trucks, we may not be the most skilled or wrench savvy, but we try our very best to get it right

Old 08-12-2016, 12:29 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Jazz

Are you over reacting???? Absolutely not!!!! I would be right there with you if it was me... You gave this guy cart-blanch and he chose to do only what he wanted to do and not what you told him to do... His only job was to do what you told him to do and he failed... He can stand or hide behind his TRUSTED employees all he wants, his TRUSTED employees failed not only you but him as well.

First of all, it's none of his %^&$*@ business why you wanted to spend that kind of money on this truck. It's his attempt to put you on the defensive all while he trying to hide, deflect and manipulate attention away from the issue of his failure.

To me- Bottom Line: His job was to do what you told him and he failed, be it him or his TRUSTED employees that he stands so firmly behind (Maybe that's the issue: he's firmly standing behind his employees, whatever - to each their own)... Then we can talk about 3 hours labor to inspect the rear brakes.... PLEASE... He or his so called TRUSTED employees could have looked through the wheel with the truck on the ground in the parking lot in the rain and told you there were issues... And he / TRUSTED employees chose not to do it because they felt it wasn't important... To me, that right there tells me exactly where you stand in there eyes...

My opinion: You now know where not to get work done at... I would make sure that you received what your billed and paid for. Tell him - It's now a creditability issue on his part and that your are now in a trust be verify mode... Make him show you that he did what you paid for.... If he didn't do what you paid him to do, he owes you money, not a shop credit....

After that... RUN!!!! FOREST!!!! RUN!!!! I seriously doubt that you will get anything from him for the work you had to do while on the road.... Save your time, money, blood pressure, and Rum & Cokes.... He's not worth it... This is one of those guys that you will never be satisfied and pretty sure that your are not going to let work on your truck again anyway....

If he owes you money get it and run... If he refuses to give you a refund for the work he didn't perform and billed you for, (hoping you paid with credit card), take it up with the card company for what he owes you and have the credit card company do your dirty work / charge him back...

All while you are finding another qualified mechanic and planning your next trip. Then think about that Rum & Coke delivered you on the beach by a hard working scantly clad coed working her way through college....

My apologies for the rant and guessing that I didn't say anything that you already didn't know.... These kind of people just pi$$ me off...

Steve

Quick Reply: Overreacting or....?