spark plug, coil, cap replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:22 AM
stapleton2709
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
I would think that if you had a leak that you would see smoke as well. I know that is teh case with the diesel trucks but I am unsure about gas. When you take that plug out of number 4 cylinder, have a look and see if you see any coolant in the spark plug well and have a look at the plug and see what it looks like

the plug wasn't wet and I could really inspect the hole too well with it being back under the firewall.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:04 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapleton2709
the plug wasn't wet and I could really inspect the hole too well with it being back under the firewall.
Hmmm I was thinking if there was a leak that the well would have had signs of coolant in it and the plug would be wet as well...Odd I wonder what the heck is going on

Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM
stapleton2709
New User
Hmmm I was thinking if there was a leak that the well would have had signs of coolant in it and the plug would be wet as well...Odd I wonder what the heck is going on

I can't figure it out either. I guess it's to the mechanic shop to see if they can figure it out. I would hate to be driving around with a blown head gasket or something

Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Well once yoou get an idea from them, come back and update us on what the diagnosis is.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:47 PM
stapleton2709
New User
Well once yoou get an idea from them, come back and update us on what the diagnosis is.
so checked the oil cap today and there was the dreaded chocolate milk looking residue one the cap. it wasn't a lot so my thinking is I have a small head gasket leak. anyone had any success with the head gasket sealants? I know some of them can clog up heater cores but I figure it may be worth a shot with my engine having a 161,000 miles. I would replace the enine before I have it torn down to do a head gasket job. I don't believe I could tear it down myself. Might be too big a job for this weekend mechanic.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
so checked the oil cap today and there was the dreaded chocolate milk looking residue one the cap. it wasn't a lot so my thinking is I have a small head gasket leak. anyone had any success with the head gasket sealants? I know some of them can clog up heater cores but I figure it may be worth a shot with my engine having a 161,000 miles. I would replace the enine before I have it torn down to do a head gasket job. I don't believe I could tear it down myself. Might be too big a job for this weekend mechanic.

Have a look at this and see if the symptoms line up with a head gasket leak:

Symptoms EngineGuy

This is a youtube video of a guy who test for a head gasket leak without any special tools, might be worth it to have a look.

Now there is head gasket leak sealer type stuff out there such as the link below:

https://gobdp.com/blog/what-are-the-...n-head-gasket/

But I dont know anyone who has tried the gasket leak sealer and whether it works, myself I woud be a tad leery but that is me.
I would do some googling on any gasket sealer and read peoples results good and bad with a gasket sealer that people tried.

You dont have any mechanically inclined friends or relatives that could give you a hand or guide you along if you turned the wrenches do ya?

I sure hope that this isnt the case for ya, cause that would suck . You'll have to keep me updated on how things go.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 PM
stapleton2709
New User
Have a look at this and see if the symptoms line up with a head gasket leak:

Symptoms EngineGuy

This is a youtube video of a guy who test for a head gasket leak without any special tools, might be worth it to have a look.

Now there is head gasket leak sealer type stuff out there such as the link below:

Fixing Tough Head Gasket Leaks - YouTube

https://gobdp.com/blog/what-are-the-...n-head-gasket/

But I dont know anyone who has tried the gasket leak sealer and whether it works, myself I woud be a tad leery but that is me.
I would do some googling on any gasket sealer and read peoples results good and bad with a gasket sealer that people tried.

You dont have any mechanically inclined friends or relatives that could give you a hand or guide you along if you turned the wrenches do ya?

I sure hope that this isnt the case for ya, cause that would suck . You'll have to keep me updated on how things go.

I'm pretty sure it's a gasket problem with the engine hesitating a little and the coolant on spark plug 4 which explains the misfire I'm not really scared of the engine tear down to get to the gasket but getting the timing back right when I reassemble scares me

Old 09-16-2016, 01:55 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Any updates on the engine. Been a while since I saw you post anything and am curious how you made out. Hope everything went well. I will keep an eye to see if you post a update on what has transpired

Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 AM
stapleton2709
New User
Any updates on the engine. Been a while since I saw you post anything and am curious how you made out. Hope everything went well. I will keep an eye to see if you post a update on what has transpired

So far so good, the engine is still going. I changed out the fuel filter and just ran some sea foam through the intake and through the gas tank. It has still hesitated a few times and it is usually around 50-60mph and only when I try to lightly accelerate. It doesn't do it during hard acceleration. I took it to my trusted mechanic and it said the code said engine misfire in cylinder 4 just like I had previously stated but he said it did not sound like it was misfiring to him. He cleared the code and the check engine light went off and hasn't returned. Now I am just trying to figure out what could be causing the hesitation during light acceleration and it seems to only do it when the truck is in high gear and I try to give it just a little throttle. Seems like it does it worse too when the AC is on. Any ideas on what could be causing the slight hesitation during light acceleration?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
So far so good, the engine is still going. I changed out the fuel filter and just ran some sea foam through the intake and through the gas tank. It has still hesitated a few times and it is usually around 50-60mph and only when I try to lightly accelerate. It doesn't do it during hard acceleration. I took it to my trusted mechanic and it said the code said engine misfire in cylinder 4 just like I had previously stated but he said it did not sound like it was misfiring to him. He cleared the code and the check engine light went off and hasn't returned. Now I am just trying to figure out what could be causing the hesitation during light acceleration and it seems to only do it when the truck is in high gear and I try to give it just a little throttle. Seems like it does it worse too when the AC is on. Any ideas on what could be causing the slight hesitation during light acceleration?

Hmm that is odd. I have to wonder if you have a vaccum leak some where. A vacuum link will definitely cause an issue like that but you also say it is still showing a misfire on the number four cylinder, which still has me puzzled as to why with what you have done with the truck. Have you tried to buy a cheap compression gauge and checked the compression in the number four cylinder?