Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Factory build or off the lot purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
All Ford F-150 trucks are beautiful. Fact. Congratulations on your purchase!

Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Looks nice!

Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 AM
grimmwit
Trailering
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This -

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
If I buy new, which is rare, then I really do want it to be BRAND SPANKING NEW with plastic still on the seats. No abusive full-throttle test drives by other people, nobody else farting in it, no salesman taking it home and their kids playing fort in the back seat, and so and so forth. I live next door to a sales manager of a dealership and am really shocked by what he and his family do with vehicles that he brings home.

If the dealer has what I want and it just came off the hauler then that is fine. I did that with a truck I bought many years ago. Test drove one and then pointed at another with plastic wrap still on the hood and said, "I'll take that one." Salesman was a bit miffed for some reason.

My F150 was far more expensive so I got pretty darn picky and it had to be custom ordered. I got exactly what I wanted and nothing more. 4 years later I am still as happy with it as the day I brought it home. I think long term satisfaction is helped when you check all the right boxes from the get-go.
A lot of what this person said factored in to my decision to factory order. One other factor (for me - not sure it's valid "issue")...... Many of the trucks I was seeing on dealer lots were manufactured up to 10 months prior. So they'd sat through a winter, as well as a summer baking in the sun. Combined with inability to find the color and options I wanted, I decided to factory order.

I was buying on X-plan, so no negotiation on price. One dealer clearly didn't want to play, low-balling me by a ludicrous amount on my trade. Second dealer gave me a very fair trade, and did the deal without hesitation.

It did turn out to be a bit of ordeal when my first ordered vehicle was damaged in shipment and as a result not delivered. So I had to order (and wait) again. Worked out for the best though, as 0% for 72 months was available when I finally got the truck. Better (for me) than the $3k in rebates I was originally looking at, as I was going to financing anyway.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can find the basic truck you're after I'd say buy one off the lot then add to it. I bought (by today's standards) a plain jane. It's a 16. The day I bought it I had it undercoated, paint sealed, and interior ScotchGuarded at the dealer. It goes in this week for running boards, and inner fender liners. Next up will be grill guard, then bed liner and tonneau cover. The additional things I have had added and will add to the truck, I could not see putting on a contract. I'm going to use the Pay-As-You-Go Plan. Just my .02.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:46 AM
90trunk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've bought my last four new Ford products after doing online inventory searches. If nothing else, it's a great way to add to your knowledge of the option packaging and cost. I live in an area with a lot of Ford dealers, so it has not been a problem finding what I want on the ground. I print out the vehicle info/VINs and my local dealer's salesman makes a dealer trade. It usually only takes a day for them to bring the vehicle in if it's local. The furthest they have had to drive one in is about 50 miles.

FWIW, my salesman advised me the info on the Ford dealer online inventory search is only as good as the effort the other dealers put into keeping it updated. Sometimes there is a lag in removing sold vehicles or adding new inventory. The salesman has access to more current inventory info and he still ends up making a phone call to a salesman at the other dealer to verify the desired vehicle is really available. So if you are willing to dig around, you and your salesman may find your dream vehicle near you.

There's certainly nothing wrong with ordering exactly what you want, I've just had good results looking around past my local dealer,

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I found this on the lot 2016 Black Friday sales

I also found this in 2006 on the lot week after Christmas sales

Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
So the trucks are out there...... got a great deal on the 2016, lots of options

Old 01-09-2017, 07:13 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Of the 17 new vehicles I have purchased over the last 38 years, 0 were ordered. I'm not picky about color, although 5 have been blue. I go into it with a list of must haves then start the negotiations from there. Any options on the vehicle that I don't need, I don't pay for. I did have the dealer do a dealer swap once, but most have been right off the lot. My number one rule is to test drive, then walk away. I then offer up the deal. I've had salesman call me that night or the next day and take the deal. But I'm ok with the dealership making money. Just not all of it from me!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at some of the threads on the towing forum, it is amazing all the people complaining that they can't find a F150/F250/F350 configured the way they want it.

Anything with the HD towing package, or Camper package, or Heavy GVWR or Towing rear axle ratio, or HD receiver, either can't be found anywhere, or is expensively loaded up with deluxe options that the buyer doesn't want to pay for.

I don't understand why they just don't become familiar with the options and pricing, and then ORDER it. It seems many decide they want a new tow vehicle, and then plan to shop for and own it all in the SAME WEEK. They end up buying something without some options they really know they should have, and then try to convince others on the forum, to agree that they... Don't need the slide-in camper package for a big slide-in camper, or don't need the booster springs for their heavy payload, or ... who knows.