2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adaptive steering and plowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive steering and plowing

I have been wondering about this for a while now. I am still actually a little puzzled how you can still have a direct link to the steering shaft but yet still have adaptive steering.

What do you guys think of the longevity of the adaptive steering and plowing? Over the years I have had a few steering problems from the constant lock to lock steering while plowing, just like steering boxes and u joints. But overall been pretty good. I'd say my main trucks get around 350-400+ hours of plowing a year, and that's constantly turning. The adaptive steering would be very beneficial, but I dont want more problems..

Also, when I'm in a very tight lot plowing around cars and getting the plow within inches of them is it going to be very predictable and consistent with the amount it helps with the turning? It sounds trivial but with how fast we try to plow and keep up with the storm and how close we get to vehicles while maneuvering and keeping momentum with the snow in front I need to make sure it's very predictable and precise.

Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts that I would love to plow with the adaptive steering, if I still plowed with a truck. All reports are that it is very intuitive and excellent in close quarters where the wheel is turned lock to lock as in backing in a trailer or maneuvering in a tight spot. The direct link is the servo motor in the steering wheel itself which works in conjunction with the speed of the vehicle. The additional revolutions are created there and the shaft is still solid out to the gearbox. Several European cars have been using this style adaptive steering for a few years now, successfully. (I use a skid steer now, real fast turns)

Old 08-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you'll be in good shape. It still is directly connected, it just has a changing ratio. Ford claims to have engineered to adaptive steering to outlast the motor and transmission, and if it fails after your third transmission, it's just a module in the steering wheel, so at least labor should be cheap to swap.