Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

TREX Auto Parts Fuel Sending Units?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:20 AM
natnovus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TREX Auto Parts Fuel Sending Units?

I was looking around for sending units and had read that the rear one was the only available one and was only through LMC and its $149.

I found this site, TREX Auto Parts that lists both midship/side and rear tank specifically for the diesels with the idi and the pictures look promising [at least they don't have a spot for an in tank pump].

Here is the links to each

Rear
Rear

Midship/Side
1987-1989 Ford FS PU 19 gal. SIDE tank *Diesel SU - T-Rex Auto Parts

Has anyone used these? Do they work for our application? The prices are great compared to LMC [for rear] or just not being available [midship/side].

Thanks
Nate

Old 08-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Moore558
Elder User
That looks to be about the same thing that Chevy Eater got from TREX's ebay store in the thread below. Not sure what the end result was on that but you might try and ask him.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16386092

Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm about to change the sending units from my tanks due to the fact that they don't work. I'm going with a sending unit that has been 100% fool proof (due to no moving parts) and I've been using them with my biofuel tanks without any issues. Plus they are substantially cheaper than TREX.

I'm going to use the Centroid Sending units. They are just concentric aluminum rods, that measure capacitance. They are even programmable if you want to use a non-ford gauge. CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Check them out.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
One of the first things I notice is it states right on the website that it "does not come with funnel filter" so you will have to source or fabricate your own pick up end. Not the end of the world, but still.

You'll also want to verify the ohm range of the sender in your truck. Ford changed around resistances used in sending units with no rhyme or reason over the years, varying by year and engine type.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:47 PM
natnovus
New User
The ohm range looks right and I would use a piece of hose instead or buying new cones of death.....

Just curious if anyone had used them and to let the forum known of an option.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
When I run the Centroid fuel level sender, I'm going to drill a second hole on top of the tank to secure the sensor. Then use the stock fuel pick-up (without that f-ing cone of failure) and use a section of hose to get to the bottom.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I'm about to change the sending units from my tanks due to the fact that they don't work. I'm going with a sending unit that has been 100% fool proof (due to no moving parts) and I've been using them with my biofuel tanks without any issues. Plus they are substantially cheaper than TREX.

I'm going to use the Centroid Sending units. They are just concentric aluminum rods, that measure capacitance. They are even programmable if you want to use a non-ford gauge. CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Check them out.
That's really cool. Spent 10 mins poking around the site and can't find a price for anything, though.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
That's really cool. Spent 10 mins poking around the site and can't find a price for anything, though.

you gotta call and order on the phone. The price is dependent on the length of the concentric tubes. Or if you need a bend. I got two on my biofuel tanks, one for my jetta and one for my van. I think they were around 4inches long for the jetta and about 7inches long in the van. (not for the stock tanks, but for my custom aluminum tanks).

I think both were around $60 a piece, but that was YEARS ago. I think I got the jetta one back in 2009, and the van one in 2012. I'd suspect with inflation and for the length necessary for the Ford 80's tanks, it would run around $70 for a fool-proof Centroid fuel level sending unit. But the catch is, you'd need to drill your own tank hole to mount the centroid unit in addition to the stock diesel fuel pick up. Also, if I remember correctly, Centroid supplies a gasket for you, but no 5-hole receiver, like in the arctic fox fuel pickup setup. So you'd have to source a 5-hole receiver, if you wanted that instead of just threading it just to the tank.

Frankly, i love the Centroid system, and I'm still confused on why they are so unknown. No moving parts, no wear and tear, and they are programmable (to an extent). Programmable in the sense that if you want to run a different resistance (e.g. for a non-stock gauge), all you have to do is jump a couple probes on the unit when the tank is full, and it will register that as the "full" resistance for the gauge. It's sweet.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM
awhtx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aircraft have been using capacitance style fuel gauges for years. Extremely accurate and no moving parts to wear.