1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F250 Superduty - Adding a circuit with "Add a fuse"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2016 F250 Superduty - Adding a circuit with "Add a fuse"

I just stumbled upon the Add-a-fuse units which replace a fuse in the fusebox with 2 fuses and a pigtail for adding another circuit. The 2016 Superduty fuse box behind the front passenger kick panel uses low-profile ATM fuses. Has anyone found a "add-a-fuse" which will work in that fusebox? Because the fuses are inset below the top of the fuse panel, I have not been able to find an "Add a fuse" which will fit the fusebox. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 330 Likes on 299 Posts
Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Mike, thanks. I saw those adapters but because the tops of the fuses are inset into the fusebox, that unit will not plug in all of the way into the box. It would need a longer insert to counter the depth of the box. That unit is designed for a box where the tops of the fuses are flush with the top of the box.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you trying to achieve with the added connection? Have you used all of your upfitter circuits?

Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
There should be two customer access wires that are taped to harness near connector C210 in the passenger kick panel area. One is a fused connection that is hot in run/acc, it is White with Blue stripe and the other appears to be hot all the time, it is White with Violet stripe.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 PM
whalerron
Elder User
I need a source to power the lights in my cap and I was hoping to do this without splicing into one of the power point pigtails. On my last truck, I soldered splice into the cigarette light pigtail and it did exactly what I needed. My 2016 doesn't have the upfitter switches but I wasn't aware of the available wires near the C210 connector. I will look for those. I need 12V all of the time so that the cap light will work without a key in the ignition. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
There should be two customer access wires that are taped to harness near connector C210 in the passenger kick panel area. One is a fused connection that is hot in run/acc, it is White with Blue stripe and the other appears to be hot all the time, it is White with Violet stripe.
There is a group of about a dozen pigtails on the driver's side near the kick panel and they seem to be there for a PTO unit which I don't have. One is White with a Blue stripe and it is labelled Run/ACC. Another is White with a violet stripe but it is labelled Parking BK. Are these the ones to which you are referring? There is a white with Orange stripe that seems to pass through the firewall to the engine compartment. I was planning on using that one carry the 12 V from under the dash to the outside.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:46 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whalerron
I need a source to power the lights in my cap and I was hoping to do this without splicing into one of the power point pigtails. On my last truck, I soldered splice into the cigarette light pigtail and it did exactly what I needed. My 2016 doesn't have the upfitter switches but I wasn't aware of the available wires near the C210 connector. I will look for those. I need 12V all of the time so that the cap light will work without a key in the ignition. Thanks.
I just ran mine straight to the battery and put a fuse there. Granted it would have been cleaner to sneak constant hot out of the cab. I did a pretty good job running my wire with nice loom, solder, heat shrink, etc.

I'm going to look into these pigtails near C210. I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future. Anyone have any pics?

-J

Old 07-30-2016, 05:08 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
There is a group of about a dozen pigtails on the driver's side near the kick panel and they seem to be there for a PTO unit which I don't have. One is White with a Blue stripe and it is labelled Run/ACC. Another is White with a violet stripe but it is labelled Parking BK. Are these the ones to which you are referring? There is a white with Orange stripe that seems to pass through the firewall to the engine compartment. I was planning on using that one carry the 12 V from under the dash to the outside.
That is them. I was mistaken on the Ford Service DVD said they were in the passenger kick panel area. The labeling on the wire is correct. The parking BK should be hot at all times. There should be 4 pass through wires taped to the main harness that passes through the firewall.

The 4 pass through wires are these colors

Brown w/White stripe
White (no stripe)
White w/Orange stripe
Grey w/Orange stripe

Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 AM
rspeters
Senior User
I just stumbled upon the Add-a-fuse units which replace a fuse in the fusebox with 2 fuses and a pigtail for adding another circuit. The 2016 Superduty fuse box behind the front passenger kick panel uses low-profile ATM fuses. Has anyone found a "add-a-fuse" which will work in that fusebox? Because the fuses are inset below the top of the fuse panel, I have not been able to find an "Add a fuse" which will fit the fusebox. Thanks.
I believe you can use one of the regular mini add-a-fuses in there (not the low profile one). I haven't tried it myself yet, but from what I've read, the non low-profile ones fit in the same spots, just stick out farther which is what is needed on these trucks. In fact, I'm not sure why Ford used the low-profile fuses since there seems to be plenty of space for the regular mini fuses.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Originally Posted by rspeters
I believe you can use one of the regular mini add-a-fuses in there (not the low profile one)...
Yes. This worked. I bought a mini ATM "add-a-fuse" and it fits perfectly. It is held firmly in place when it is plugged into the fuse box. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:03 AM
rspeters
Senior User
Good to hear. Thanks for reporting back. I'll be doing it soon as well.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:15 PM
cybrid war machines
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. This worked. I bought a mini ATM "add-a-fuse" and it fits perfectly. It is held firmly in place when it is plugged into the fuse box. Thanks!
Sorry for the thread necro, but this thread popped up during my search for adding a fuse tap to a 2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty. I'm trying to install a dash camera with a hardwire kit, but the low profile mini fuse tap that's included with the kit won't fit won't fit into the fuse slot because as you said, the fuses sit below the fuse panel inset.

So are you saying that something like this will work instead?

Amazon Amazon

If that's the case, then it would also mean I would have to buy a new fuse of the same type and amperage because the low profile minis that Ford uses won't plug into that tap, correct? Sorry for being dense, but this is all new to me and I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
I bought the same kit I believe and used an extra fuse that came with the kit to fill it out. I just went outside and took these pics.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
One of the problems seems to be it the fuse box cover will not fit with the add-a-fuse. I don't have a problem with it and the circuit I added, I placed the cover in the right kick panel area not on the fuse area..

Quick Reply: 2016 F250 Superduty - Adding a circuit with "Add a fuse"