5th Wheel Recommendation for F350

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:28 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
You have tow/haul mode on your tranny don't you? When I was out there I hardly ever even using my service brakes going down the mountains, I just used tow/haul and touched the brakes and it simply drops a gear to hold ya back. Or hit 'em a little harder and it drops another gear.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM
towm8ter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
You have tow/haul mode on your tranny don't you? When I was out there I hardly ever even using my service brakes going down the mountains, I just used tow/haul and touched the brakes and it simply drops a gear to hold ya back. Or hit 'em a little harder and it drops another gear.
Yes, I have tow/haul on the TV. Brand new to towing so not sure how much the extra weight will feel versus the smaller unit. Just don't want any surprises if we opt for the larger 5er. Glad to hear it wasn't an issue in your case...curious to know what your loaded trailer weight was.

-Chad

Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
When you get it...large parking lot and maybe a ground guide or two and practice.

See how tight you can turn, how it backs up and most important, if possible get it up to about 30 mph and then practice braking and setting the gain to where you are happy.

Remember you turn when your truck is at the hips for those sharp turns.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:22 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by towm8ter
Nice rig Kevin! That BHDS model seems to be really popular.

Since I'm a first timer, I'm a bit nervous about towing, crosswinds, backing-up, etc, and feel the HT would be a more pleasant experience. The eagle is significantly heavier and 5' longer which is definitely a concern and so its really helpful to hear from people on this board.

Do you have the 15" or 16" wheels on the trailer?

Thanks!
Thank you! I have the 15" on there.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:47 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
We will be climbing mountains quite a bit. We plan to visit our local mountains often for weekend excursions but also have the So Cal grapevine and other grades in northern california/Oregon to contend with on our longer trips. Almost every trip except the occasional beach trip will involve some sort of grades or mountains.

How much will that extra 2800 pounds affect us for the grades? I don't mind going up slow but also don't want to feel like I'm beating the truck to death (I don't mind the high rpms ... I actually like the sound of that big V8). Also wondering if I'm going to be sorry when it comes time to go down the big grades and mountain roads with an extra 2800 pounds and only SRW.

We really like the big one but it'll be out of the running if I feel its unsafe in any way with our current TV.

-Chad
We gross at 24400 when loaded and on the road and we have no problem going over 11300 ft passes, it gets a little slow up that high but everything slows down when the air is that thin. I don't use tow haul but the manual shift is the greatest thing they ever came up with.

Denny

Old 07-24-2016, 10:06 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Yes, I have tow/haul on the TV. Brand new to towing so not sure how much the extra weight will feel versus the smaller unit. Just don't want any surprises if we opt for the larger 5er. Glad to hear it wasn't an issue in your case...curious to know what your loaded trailer weight was.
-Chad
Without going out to the truck to get the scale weights, I know it was between 12.5 and 13. But I do have the 6.0 diesel so the computer helped by closing the turbo vanes too...... that really retarded the forward motion!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
I have read many times how strict California is on tow vehicles and towing. If that is true, and you probably know, I would try to stay within the legal limits of the tow vehicle, whatever that may be. If you aren't worried about it, on the other hand, I towed my Sandpiper which weighed about 11k with my F250 V10 with 4.10:1 gears for years through all the Rockies without any problems. I had air bags on the rear and it was fine. I know it was over the truck's 8800 GVWR. When I bought my first diesel, I realized how much it was over. Then when I bought our current 5th wheel and I thought that diesel DRW was over tasked. Now I am finally happy with my tow vehicle and how it tows. If your tow vehicle feels like it is working too hard to tow, it really makes the trips long. I always felt fatigued and worried something was going wrong. If you are sure you are getting a 5th wheel, maybe you can install the hitch and talk the dealers into letting you hook up to the trailers and go for a tow. That is really the only way you will know how it is going to be if you buy it. After looking at both rigs and your truck specs, I would get the big one. It is similar to our floor plan and you will love the 1/2 bath.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:03 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Bonus, I just saw the washer/dryer hook ups in the 360. I must recommend it now. A lot of people say they wouldn't use it but we won't go without it. When you are at the beach or pool, it is so nice to be able to dry your towels/swimsuits and not have a bunch of wet towels/swimsuits hanging around in the 5th wheel. Just make sure if you get it, get the vented model w/d. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
RV Puller is spot on with his experience towing heavy with the 6.2, manual shift on these units is the best part of the truck, both up and downhill. I am wholly converted to it and truly enjoy being in control. Now if it only came with a paddle shifter...