1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:42 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
It will burn the same as diesel, I've used tranny fluid every time I change the fuel filter on the equipment at work or the diesel truck no real side affect.
There's people that run a diet of pure tranny fluid on trucks Just FYI.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it thanks...

Old 07-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts
The main reason for not using transmission fluid in the fuel system is that it is dyed red. Off road diesel is also dyed red, and it is a federal crime to use off road (non taxed) diesel in on highway vehicles. It isn't a crime to use transmission fluid, but I'd rather not have to explain why my fuel filter has red tinge to it.

Motor Fuel Tax Evader Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison

Calvin Russell Laird, 50, of Lawn, was sentenced to twenty years in prison on July 6th, 2012 for motor fuel tax fraud. It is the maximum sentence allowed by law for Evading Motor Fuel Tax, a second-degree felony that is the highest criminal charge in Chapter 162 of the Tax Code.
Laird was accused by indictment of intentionally and knowingly evading and attempting to evade motor fuel tax by delivering dyed diesel into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle for use upon a public highway. The case was prosecuted by the Taylor County District Attorney's Office and was a part of a multi-case plea bargain involving separate, unrelated offenses alleged to have been committed in Taylor County. The sentences run concurrently, and Laird's motor fuel sentence was the highest sentence imposed.
"The opportunities for dyed diesel crime have increased over the last several years, due to increased industrial activity in West Texas," stated Sgt. Dickie Hass, a peace officer with the Comptroller's Criminal Investigation Division. "As access increases, so do the opportunities for improper use.
"In order to deter improper use and protect the state's tax revenue, the Tax Code allows dyed diesel offenses to be prosecuted per act regardless of value, rather than by value, the way property crimes such as Theft are defined," explained Hass. "The result is that a felony conviction can be based, depending on the facts, on actions relating to one tank of fuel."
"This case is a warning to those considering diverting a tank or two of dyed diesel fuel into their vehicles for use on a public highway, which is prohibited by law," said CID Chief Martin D. Cano, Jr. "Prison time is a possibility in these cases. Any time, much less 20 years, is a lot of time to think about a couple of dollars saved. It's just not worth it."

Old 07-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Do they look at fuel filters? Around here they just pull a sample out of the tank afaik.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Holy crap 20 years, that's something to think about.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Remarkable ain't it? That guy damn near coulda buggered little boys and ran them through a wood chipper and got less time than that.

Nice to see they have their priorities straight though.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts
Ted, your twisted metaphor reminded me of Jeffrey Dahmer.

And a few politicians.

Speaking of twisted, you got that golden (or at least gold colored) gift of yours started yet Metal Twister? Hurry up, cause I need you to drive 1800 miles round trip to pick up a sheetmetal hood I need cut, flanged, and rolled. I like your work!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Thank you. I'm so spent... Not making excuses but this 108 tempeture just sucks the go juice right out of me! If I can actually touch the truck due to the heat I might lite it off tomorrow. I know... It's a dry heat!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
After it starts running I encourage you to plan the Hutch mod.
I have said for years that this is a requirement, not an option to keep the truck running.
This is because when the screens clog, the truck will not run, or when the umbrella breaks loose you cannot burn the fuel in the bottom (1/3 to 1/2) of the tank.

You have probably said, but what year is your truck?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Right I'm just waiting on the 10 day probation so I can add a Signature line. Its a 2001 f350 7.3 with the manual transmission. I have been so busy I haven't had time to research that Mod yet but it will be one of the first ones I do I'm sure. The truck has 158,000 miles on it so I'm not sure how or when is the best time for the mod?

Old 07-23-2016, 01:54 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Judging by the fuel sample you took from the tank I bet your mixing chamber is fine. The pickup up foot on the other hand may be gone.

With a long bed you have a 38 gallon tank,if you trickle the fuel in after the pump shuts off you can get well over 40 in there. If the pickup foot is gone or deteriorated you will run out of fuel around 1/3-1/4 of a tank left.

Until you get a chance to look in the tank carry some diesel with you on your excursions to the desert.

Running the 7.3 out of fuel is not the end of the world. It's not nice to the injectors but getting it restarted is a non issue. Just add fuel to the tank, cycle the key once or twice and she will fire up. It will sound like crap for a few dozen miles while it works the air out of the lines but you don't have to prime the pump or bleed air or any other nonsense.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

Calvin Russell Laird, 50, of Lawn,
Calvin Russel Laird looks a lot like Bill Murray to me.

You guys spend a lot more time thinking than I do. Given the looks of that fuel the most I'd have done is drain the fuel bowl and fill with fresh fuel, had good batteries in it and turned the key already.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Its another Hot Day here but nothing was going to keep me from trying to start the beast today. I kinda had a heart to heart with myself and got on to myself for being such a puss and not just going for it? So after I got through beating myself up I changed out the fuel filter. The little yellow valve thing worked perfectly by the way. I then got in and cranked it for just a few seconds and it fired right off, died, a few more seconds of trying to start it and finally it started! Being more in tune to hearing aircraft and finely tuned hot rod stuff I panicked for a split second, then remembered it was a diesel.

No smoke, no drips, no exhaust leaks or anything out of the ordinary! Actually very anti climatic. I let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes and oil pressure looks good as well as the charging. The heat gauge was just making its way off the cold peg when I shut it down. She starts right up now and I think it is going to be just fine. As needed I will top it off with the old fuel and burn it up. Might throw a 5 gallon can in the back until I can see if I will need the fuel tank mod or not. Works perfect guys and thanks to all of you for helping this greenhorn out. It is appreciated.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Right I'm just waiting on the 10 day probation so I can add a Signature line. Its a 2001 f350 7.3 with the manual transmission. I have been so busy I haven't had time to research that Mod yet but it will be one of the first ones I do I'm sure. The truck has 158,000 miles on it so I'm not sure how or when is the best time for the mod?
Make sure you check the clutch pedal bushing, which is a known common failure point. The pin itself on mine got worn and grooved, so I replaced it with a bolt.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...c-bushing.html

Old 07-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Good to know... Thanks for the info. Seems to shift smoothly, anyway I didn't notice a problem the little I have used it but will be looking for issues.

Quick Reply: Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...