Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Metal twister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

So it looks like I have about 1/2 of a tank of vintage 2010 Diesel fuel that needs to go away. I started thinking about it and it got me wondering just how does one get rid of it? Are there recyclers for this stuff? Maybe use it for the next bbq start? Heck who knows It might come out of the tank in solid form its been in there so long? Any input would be appreciated... I'm in Socal so no noon plums of black smoke allowed...

Name:  barney_fife-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  14.5 KB

Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
If you have acreage, potential use as a vegetation killer along fence lines (or in driveways, along the edges of buildings, etc.)?

A better option, though, would be to use something like a triple dose of Diesel 911, mix well, and then meter it into your fuel tank 1-2 gallons at a time.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Rikster-7700
Posting Guru
Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You could call your trash company, sometimes they have a hazardous material disposal program, or sometimes your local recycle center has the means to properly dispose of the fuel.

I am sure, as **** as California is about environmental stuff, they will be able to help you. If not I am sure they can provide some direction.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Gasoline goes bad relatively quick. Diesel on the other hand, lasts years in the proper storage conditions.

Pull a sample from the bottom of the tank into a clear glass quart bottle and take a look. It may be OK to burn.

Failing that, call around and see who is still running waste oil heaters at their business. They'll be glad to take it off your hands.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Thanks for the reply's guys. All good suggestions... Im in San Diego I don't own a heater and dont think Ive ever actually seen an oil burning heater, but a great idea! I am curious what the fuel looks like so I might try to get some out of the tank and give it a look see. Was there anti siphon devices installed in the fillers tube back in 2001?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Don Naslund
Elder User
Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.
I would drain the tank, remove the tank and inspect its insides. I would filter the old fuel back into the tank, add cetane boost and dive it like it was free.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
sledhead999 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sledhead999 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Around here we would burn it in a turbo heater during the winter. Diesel is a little sootier than kerosene, but does the job.

The oil burner heaters mentioned above works well to use up old motor oil, atf, etc and common at auto repair shops. Its injected under pressure similar to a furnace.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
It sure would be sweet if someone made a aftermarket compression fitting drain plug that could be added to these plastic tanks. Humm I wonder if there is something like that?

Old 07-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund View Post
I would drain the tank, remove the tank and inspect its insides. I would filter the old fuel back into the tank, add cetane boost and dive it like it was free.
Don what would you use as a filter medium? I see that Mc Master sells filtration socks to really small micron sizes but would rather use something more accessible. Maybe pour it through a half dozen face breathing filters or something? Once filtered I could just add a few gallons at a time mixing it with new good fuel? There was a quart of this stuff in the truck... Says cetane boost so it looks like some filtering and Im ready to go?

Name:  CIMG3780_zpsqhhl22pv.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  87.0 KB

Old 07-19-2016, 01:36 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
sledhead999 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sledhead999 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Metal twister View Post
It sure would be sweet if someone made a aftermarket compression fitting drain plug that could be added to these plastic tanks. Humm I wonder if there is something like that?
You could always add fuel sump for easy draining, plus you could get all fuel out of the tank instead of leaving a gallon or two in the bottom if that's your kinda thing. The downsides are they could get hung up on stuff offroading and cutting a large hole in your tank.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
That looks really great! I wont be wheeling this off road too much that is what the other toys are for. This truck will just be used to get me to the playground.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
clem1226
Postmaster
clem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to behold
With the shop that you have I would pull the bed.

Take you maybe an hour and then you have easy access to the top of the tank. Pull out the sender and fuel pickup, do the hutch and harpoon mods and if the fuel looks like crap pump it out the top with a rotary pump on an electric drill.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by clem1226 View Post
With the shop that you have I would pull the bed.

Take you maybe an hour and then you have easy access to the top of the tank. Pull out the sender and fuel pickup, do the hutch and harpoon mods and if the fuel looks like crap pump it out the top with a rotary pump on an electric drill.
Wow, I would never thought of tackling it that way... Im going to have to think that one over. Pull the bed to get to the fuel tank... sounds kinda weird. But it does make since. I hate to admit it but my head is spinning with working and the research on this truck. Is the Hutch thing just to get all the fuel out of the truck? I just havent had time to look over the link you sent me on that yet, Im wondering if I should just get the thing running first an then look into the Hutch thing? I was thinking about dropping the tank anyway and pressure washing it out?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Rikster-7700
Posting Guru
Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hutch is moving the in tank screen filters outside the tank (Racor strainer or similar mounted on the frame before the fuel pump), and reworking the pick up foot in the tank.

Harpoon is simply trimming the vent lines as close as possible to the side of the tank to allow for faster, easier and more complete fill ups without having fuel puke all over you

Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700 View Post
Hutch is moving the in tank screen filters outside the tank (Racor strainer or similar mounted on the frame before the fuel pump), and reworking the pick up foot in the tank.

Harpoon is simply trimming the vent lines as close as possible to the side of the tank to allow for faster, easier and more complete fill ups without having fuel puke all over you
Very cool and thanks for the info. I didn't even know there was slow fuel filling issues with these. Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.