1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Am I the only one salivating over 2017 Raptor Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dr G,
That is some pretty impressive work you've done on your engine. Since you do all of your own fab work, at least the link to Steve's photo's will maybe provide some ideas on how you might do your install.

I'm impressed by the distributor mods which you have made. I would like to go to that type of ignition on my project which will use a Trick Flo EFI manifold on a Ford Racing 450 hp 427 crate motor. I will be running a Vintage Air Front Runner for a compact drive system. My problem will center around how to mount a crank trigger with the Front Runner system.

I am curious about which model of MSD distributor you modified for this change. Have you done any threads here on this modification?

Philip

Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second and third the FLATHEADS FOREVER !!!!! Is not a powerhouse but from a noise , beautiful exhaust noise , and just being impressive looking ain' t nothing better . closest competition would be the original chrysler hemi's . that being said the best engine i ever had ( my buddy norm is in possesion of it now ) was my 70 429. 11.0:1 compression , very healthy but streetable cam , weiand stealth intake , old school dual point distributor , port matched heads ....... There is not a v6 made period that could take the abuse that thing took or out run it if they were in a simialar car and i do not care what all you proponents of late model tech say thats just how it is . it was in a 70 bird 2 door that with me and all my crap in it weighed 5200 if memory serves me right had a 2.37 rear gear and outran my 95 gt vert equipped with the gt40 package and 3.73 gears . now your v6 will get better mileage than it .......... I also second the motion of the twice turblown coyote .... NOW THAT WOULD BE IMPRESSIVE !!!!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work on your spark set up G. Very slick. I'm guessing you are going with a MAF setup as well. I dig it.

As for the original question... Yeah, that new Raptor motor sounds badass. I always laugh at the guys that dismiss everything new as "counfouded complicated" lol. Most of the old guys at work say that stuff. They seem to recall the era of points as better than it was.

My first induction to modern technology and turbos was in 1992. The vehicle was a 1987 Buick GN. Alcohol injection, bigger turbo and cooler, exhaust and plumbing. That was the fastest thing I've ever been in....... It was stupid fast. Made my reasonably built 71 Chevelle 396 look like a dog. From that day on I bonded with modern technology and learned you either learn new things or get left behind....

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet you all wish you could have an engine like mine -- 90 horse power pulls my 3900 lb beast around just fine and gets 15 mph!! Eat your hearts out !

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Mine is 110 with 4 more cylinders and gets an awe inspiring8 to 8.5 in town worse on the highway ! LOL !!!!!!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by Nicholas+
I'm guessing you are going with a MAF setup as well. I dig it.
No actually. Right now I'm using throttle position as the main load determinant. Though for a turbo application I'd be changing that to MAP (manifold absolute pressure). Although I do have a MAP sensor hooked up and operational the Comp cam that came in my sealed circle track racing engine is stated to be for "carburetors only". That did not stop me from using it with EFI, but there is something about it that the MAP sensor did not like. Especially at idle.

Gustave

Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by AZAV8
Dr G,
Since you do all of your own fab work, at least the link to Steve's photo's will maybe provide some ideas on how you might do your install.
I did look through Steve's photo's. Very nice fabrication, much better than I could ever do. The distance from the exhaust ports to the turbos seemed pretty long, not so good for turbo lag, but there may have been a good reason for that in terms of packaging. The pictures seemed to end at one point. Did the project get completed?

Originally Posted by AZAV8
I'm impressed by the distributor mods which you have made. I would like to go to that type of ignition on my project which will use a Trick Flo EFI manifold on a Ford Racing 450 hp 427 crate motor. I will be running a Vintage Air Front Runner for a compact drive system. My problem will center around how to mount a crank trigger with the Front Runner system.

I am curious about which model of MSD distributor you modified for this change. Have you done any threads here on this modification?
Philip
Philip, this snippet from the MSD instruction manual shows the p/n of the distributor I used as an engine position module:

I think I bought the one with the steel gear. Though it doesn't much matter since I swapped the gear for a composite one in any case.

Here is a photo of the Hall effect SYNC sensor:

And here is a photo of the inside of the distributor showing the eight teeth that trigger the magnetic REF sensor that determines crankshaft RPM:

I had originally intended to use an engine position module sold by AEM specifically for SBF's. But after I'd made some modifications to it I learned about distributor-to-cam gear compatibility, and man is that a can of worms. The AEM EPM comes with a steel gear which is not compatible with my Comp cam, though AEM seemed not to have any idea why this should be so. So I had to scrap the idea of using it. Too bad because it was nice and small.

HTH,

Gustave

Old 07-10-2016, 04:18 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dr. G,
Yes, the project did get finished. Steve drives it almost daily. The truck is currently for sale, if anyone is interested, as he needs the cash to finish the super cab 1953 with the diesel. Check him out on Facebook or his website. He is an excellent fabricator and I had him do the Dodge Dakota IFS for my '48 F1. Soon he will do the install of the engine transmission for me and add the torque arm to the 9 inch.

Thanks for the info on the distributor mods and part numbers. There is a company that makes cam position sensors for SBF engines. Link here:
Price Motorsport

This may simplify things for some people. I'm not quite there yet for the ignition system for my 450 hp 427 SBF. I have other things to do before I'm there. I just collect information like yours whenever I come upon it for future reference.

Thanks again.
Philip