2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Slide In Camper Certification

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slide In Camper Certification

As a truck camper user I have long known about Camper Special and other variations there of. This new F350 will be the first truck with the Slide In Camper package for me and the simple answer about the Slide in Camper Certification means only that one has Fords blessing to load and use a slide in. Talking with the Build chat today I got this further information:

When selecting a slide-in camper for your vehicle, please keep in mind that the combined weight of vehicle, camper body, occupants and cargo must not exceed Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR can be obtained from the Safety Compliance Certification Label located on the driver's door. If you intend to also tow a trailer in addition to carrying your camper, the combined weight of the vehicle, camper body, occupants, cargo, and trailer must not exceed the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.
Tara-Kay says:
All Styleside pickups that qualify for slide-in camper bodies have camper center-of-gravity included on the Consumer Information Sheet in the glovebox. Data is calculated for each individual truck based on vehicle options. If the vehicle does not qualify for camper use, the Consumer Information Sheet states that the vehicle is not recommended for camper use, and no center-of-gravity data is shown.

Others have posted that their vehicles had notices that it was "not certified for slide in camper." Does anyone have real world experience which might indicate some of these trucks genuinely should not use a slide in or is this merely a CYA legal disclaimer? I have long been aware of the CG issues and found tables and dimensions which confirmed my F250 CG was correct for my camper, even without the blessing in writing.

Also, if one purchases a truck with the camper package and gets a "not recommended" sheet, I would think the transaction would be invalidated by nature of a qualification ordered but not received.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How would one get a camper package and a "no recommended" sheet? Sounds like a mislabel perhaps? Dealership should be able to run VINCINT and get the proper label applied, I think it would show up there. Your transaction wouldn't be invalidated by a mistake in putting the wrong sticker on. If a sales guy tells you there is a camper package and there isn't one, you're probably up the creek too, though most dealerships would unwind it for you and put you in the right truck if you caught it quick enough. Obviously, per forum rules, this isn't legal advice (-=

Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Frantz
How would one get a camper package and a "no recommended" sheet? Sounds like a mislabel perhaps? Dealership should be able to run VINCINT and get the proper label applied, I think it would show up there. Your transaction wouldn't be invalidated by a mistake in putting the wrong sticker on. If a sales guy tells you there is a camper package and there isn't one, you're probably up the creek too, though most dealerships would unwind it for you and put you in the right truck if you caught it quick enough. Obviously, per forum rules, this isn't legal advice (-=
I have had many questions about this and very few answers. In the end I will probably do what I am going to anyway, but with this much investment I would prefer everything be correct. A different thread alerted me to someone who had a document which specifically excluded the vehicle from approved camper useage: It read "This Vehicle is Not Certified for Slide in Camper Use." I can take it that it is a formality which was not performed or that the vehicle indeed did not qualify. No reason was given and knowing vehicles, I assume that it is just a calculation which was not performed. CG of my camper is 14" ahead of the rear axle on my 2001 LB. Assuming the relationship of the axle to the box is the same on the 2017 everything should be within certification standards. Thanks for the response.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I have ever seen is "Not For Ambulance Use" stickers before. Do you remember where that thread was that alerted you to this?

Old 06-26-2016, 04:29 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
All I have ever seen is "Not For Ambulance Use" stickers before. Do you remember where that thread was that alerted you to this?
I looked for quite a while but cannot find the post.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would guess that truck simply didn't have the camper package. It gives the cert sheet you mention and upgrades the springs a notch unless they are already maxed for the given build. Yeah, for the money, I'd just order one from the factory the way you want it. We order about half our trucks with the camper package, but you're still settling for what you can find out there. If I wasn't in a rush, I would never buy out of stock. No amount of rebates is more valuable than getting what I want. But I'm in the minority on that it seems, or else people just don't realize it's an option.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
If I wasn't in a rush, I would never buy out of stock. No amount of rebates is more valuable than getting what I want. But I'm in the minority on that it seems, or else people just don't realize it's an option.
Agreed. Occasionally one finds exactly what they would order, colors included. That is a great pleasure but you are correct, the exact vehicle, brand new specifically built cannot be beat. Well, maybe if I could get LED headlamps without the packages, I digress.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I would guess that truck simply didn't have the camper package. It gives the cert sheet you mention and upgrades the springs a notch unless they are already maxed for the given build. Yeah, for the money, I'd just order one from the factory the way you want it. We order about half our trucks with the camper package, but you're still settling for what you can find out there. If I wasn't in a rush, I would never buy out of stock. No amount of rebates is more valuable than getting what I want. But I'm in the minority on that it seems, or else people just don't realize it's an option.
Exactly the reason I ordered mine, to get what I wanted and nothing I didnt!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 AM
Sorrentino100
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there is a conflict if the truck is equipped with a Snow Plow Prep Package. It appears Ford is concerned that someone may snow plow with a slide-in camper attached. The sheet in the glove box with Snow Plow Prep Package does state the vehicle is not intended for a slide-in camper.

There is an option for a Camper/Snow Plow Prep package that will allow a camper to be utilized. I'm sure by itself, and not in tandem with a plow.