2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

How much does start-stop operate in summer when you want AC blowing cold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much does start-stop operate in summer when you want AC blowing cold?

Just wondering if automatic start-stop makes the AC worse by shutting off the engine (compressor) all the time, or if it backs off and lets the engine run more when you have AC running?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong...but if I'm remembering correctly, the start-stop feature/function is automatically disabled if the A/C is on and running>

Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 217 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by SabreFX4
I could be wrong...but if I'm remembering correctly, the start-stop feature/function is automatically disabled if the A/C is on and running>
it does, but it may depend on the fan speed. I don't know the details, but just ask the dealer, or test one.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the AC and start stop configuration varies by vehicle , it's disengaged in 4 x 4 but I don't think it's disengaged when the AC is on. I'm not a big fan of the start stop I've driven many many vehicles with it and I do not find it seamless, I really dislike it. The AC fan motor will run but the compressor will be stopped so it will stay cold for a certain amount. But out here in hot LA traffic it's a mess a nightmare with that start stop going on and off, the headlights are dimming and coming back bright I hate it. In traffic you can always tell a car that has start stop

Old 06-09-2016, 04:41 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its a terrible idea and people are going to be killed because of it. Here in VA the AC compressor is running practically all the time the temp is above freezing. During summer, I do not want the engine to stop when I stop temporarily. If I had a car with that feature I would want to disable it right away.
By 'people getting killed', consider this; we all make mistakes. Just the other week, I was on my way to the airport to drop somebody off. I got to running my mouth and took the wrong exit, but I managed to abort just in time but still had to stop and wait for an opening to swing back into traffic. I needed the car to go when I hit the gas, not wait for a start. There are infinite situations that make this a terrible idea. Did I mention I don't like it at all?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:09 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
There could be more to the list. Start/Stop is disabled when, the interior temp of the truck is too hot (or cold), you disable it, you are in tow/haul mode, there is a trailer connected, you are in 4x4 mode, battery needs charged, the defrosters are on, the outside temperature is not too hot (or cold) and your elevation is below a certain level.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
I needed the car to go when I hit the gas, not wait for a start.
I guess turbocharged engines will also get people killed? I've not driven a 2.7L truck yet, but I'd almost wager money that turbo lag on a stock 6.4L Powerstroke is worse.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
There could be more to the list. Start/Stop is disabled when, the interior temp of the truck is too hot (or cold), you disable it, you are in tow/haul mode, there is a trailer connected, you are in 4x4 mode, battery needs charged, the defrosters are on, the outside temperature is not too hot (or cold) and your elevation is below a certain level.
Perfect. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I guess turbocharged engines will also get people killed? I've not driven a 2.7L truck yet, but I'd almost wager money that turbo lag on a stock 6.4L Powerstroke is worse.
Nah, that's why God gave us two feet - left one to hold the vehicle and the right one to spool up the turbo. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Nah, that's why God gave us two feet - left one to hold the vehicle and the right one to spool up the turbo. A man's gotta know his limitations.
That's kind of my point. Know the vehicle you're driving and adjust accordingly. My '08 6.4L truck almost got me clobbered once...was turning left and traffic was going faster than I thought. Floored it and expected to GO, and got the desired response over a second late. Didn't make the same mistake twice.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yup. Thought so. Both of our primary vehicles have twin turbos, and neither is quick off the line in normal mode. Both both can be rocket ships if you know what you are doing.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
My 3.5L EB is about the fastest vehicle out there in stop light to stop light races. I drove all the F150s in a Ford driving event in 2011. The 3.5 EB was faster in the 1/8 than than the 5.0.
If you really want to take off with smoking tires and all, the 2 foot method works great.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
My 3.5L EB is about the fastest vehicle out there in stop light to stop light races. I drove all the F150s in a Ford driving event in 2011. The 3.5 EB was faster in the 1/8 than than the 5.0.
If you really want to take off with smoking tires and all, the 2 foot method works great.
I drove a '15 F-150 3.5L eco boost earlier this year that a guy had, who was bragging to me how fast it was. It had no where near the acceleration of my '06 Saleen supercharged Mustang and I was a little disappointed. I didn't really expect it to be, but I thought it might be closer than it was after reading some of the comments on these boards. I didn't have the heart to tell him, so I said, yeah its pretty fast. And I don't mean to demean anyone, but there are a good number of vehicles out there that are faster stop light to stop light.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
It's still a pickup truck, but quite rapid by most everyday standards. The only faster vehicle I've owned was my '11 Mustang.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 PM
Ancona
Senior User
I'm not saying its not fast for a pickup truck. I'm just saying there are vehicles out there that are faster stop light to stop light. I have had my fair share of seeing some of them trying to race my Mustang at stop lights over the past 10 years.

Quick Reply: How much does start-stop operate in summer when you want AC blowing cold?