6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rock Crawling in a Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Crawling in a Super Duty

Who says our trucks are to big to play with the rest of the hardcore offroad guys? The video linked below is of me maneuvering the beast under the guidance of a buddy on the most difficult obstacle we encountered on the Dome Plateau Trail NE of Moab, Utah.

Thankfully I have the 2WD front airdam and I got rid of the horns that hang off the front frame rails, otherwise it never would have made it without a lot more carnage. if it wasn't for the Titan 50 gallon fuel tank that barely grazed I would have cleared this obstacle without an issue.

Trust me when I say this obstacle was a lot worse looking in person than on video. When we were scouting it and I was guiding my friend over in his Raptor that barely cleared, I thought this was the end of the trail for me in the rig. I was quite excited when I conquered this and the adrenaline was sure pumping once I made it to the top!

Old 06-06-2016, 02:10 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need to get one of those trail rated emblems jeeps have and put it on the truck

Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
A person would be surprised at what a truck can do it you are skilled enough.

Even my DRW can do a lot more than most would think. I would not have cleared that obstacle right there but to the left of it I could have.

I took my truck up the Yankee boy basin outside Ouray, CO a few years back. Truly a Jeep Trail for the most part as you get to where the picture on the beer can came from for Coors.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by pgg00
Need to get one of those trail rated emblems jeeps have and put it on the truck
Haha! A couple friends of mine that are Jeep owners saw the video and told me I should buy a Wrangler since it would have cleared the obstacle without a problem and it wouldn't get buried in the sand. I then asked them if they thought their Jeep could tow my camping trailer to Utah and back.

Originally Posted by senix
Even my DRW can do a lot more than most would think. I would not have cleared that obstacle right there but to the left of it I could have.

I took my truck up the Yankee boy basin outside Ouray, CO a few years back. Truly a Jeep Trail for the most part as you get to where the picture on the beer can came from for Coors.
The route I took in the video is about the only and by far the easiest route up. To the immediate left there were trees blocking the way and about 50 feet over there was another path that some people had made that appeared easier, and was the way we came down. The problem was it was really sandy and a 23 degree slope, and once you were at the bottom it was a very tight and steep turn around that caused both of us to drag our receivers. The worst part was the crossover to get back to the main trail, which was on a sandy side hill with a tree in just the wrong spot that the trucks wanted to slide towards. We made it, but I was within 1/2" of tagging that tree and causing some body damage.

It is surprising what these big trucks can do. I joked with my buddy that was spotting me that I guess I have to go to a dually next for more of a challenge. The best part was a Toyota group of about 15 trucks and SUVs showed up at our lunch spot that was just after this obstacle and all their minds were blown when they saw basically a stock Super Duty and Raptor parked there. They wanted to watch us climb back out, but they were on a pretty tight timeline and had to leave before us anyway since they blocked us in.

Colorado is another place that's high on my list for exploring the backroads. I bet you got some looks on that trail with your dually!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Not really truck related, but here's another video of us mountain biking the Porcupine Rim Bike Trail on the same trip. The views are out of this world.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
At work, but try this on for size, way before the road become a rutted mess.

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Exactly the reason why I shortened air dam, retractable steps, no radius arm drop brackets.... A long wheelbase needs all the clearance it can get. A little patience and care with the skinny pedal can get you though with trashing your truck.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come to South Dakota.
You can do some real rock crawling!

Old 06-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this at Canyonlands? (or Canyon Lands?)

Old 06-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Pshaw! That ain't nothin' Here's a Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge:

Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge- Moab, Utah - YouTube
That is awesome. I guess no one told him you had to have 4x4 to get there.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:54 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randy Klauk
Is this at Canyonlands? (or Canyon Lands?)
It's pretty close to Canyonlands, but about 50 miles east of the park. Just to make sure I don't scare anyone off what I think is the trip of a lifetime, White Rim Road in Canyonlands is nowhere near as technical as this, yet the scenery is much more breathtaking in my opinion. Any stock 4WD Super Duty can tackle White Rim as long as you are comfortable with your truck and can stomach very narrow shelf roads with steep drops. The Park Service uses dually F450 pumper trucks to service the multiple outhouses on the 100 mile journey if that gives anyone more confidence that it can be done.

Originally Posted by Tedster9

Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge- Moab, Utah - YouTube
I so love that video and have watched it so many times. That guy is truly a boss!

Let me just say that even though I wouldn't risk my truck on Hell's Revenge, he chose the easy part of the trail, and that Crown Vic would have never even made it to the obstacle I conquered on Dome Plateau. I'd happily watch him make the attempt, then drive him the 60+ miles back to civilization to call for a $1K+ rescue of his car.

Hell's Revenge is less than 5 miles outside of downtown Moab, which gives this guy plenty of trolling ability on the easy portions. He is my hero though since he used a Crown Vic to tackle what 95% of Jeep owners and 99.9% of Super Duty owners will never attempt.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The whole 4 Corners area is just amazing. Actually, the state of Utah does a great job of maintaining a network of graded, marked, dirt roads that are passable by even high clearance 2wd cars (in dry weather) over thousands of miles crisscrossing the region. The jeep trails are something else, but the scenery is (mostly) no less spectacular.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
A person would be surprised at what a truck can do it you are skilled enough.

Uhh, that is barely a jeep trail! I have done that ride.

Agreed though, I have taken mine in places that Jeeps actually asked how I got there, such as the east side of Alpine Tunnel near St. Elmo, Colorado, or Handly Lake.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:19 PM
99 BAT
New User
I still have my 99 F250 7.3 that I bought in 2002. Had 87k on it when I bought it. I have yet to put another 100k on it. Jones'n for a new one, but worry I will have buyers remorse.
Its been a trusty steed and always done what I need it to. Had the whole thing line-x'd last year as the paint was hurtin. Will decide by years end on fish or cut bait. Looking at F-150's as well but for some reason it just ain't the same.

Quick Reply: Rock Crawling in a Super Duty