1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD Sudden Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
It firmed up my shifts. As far as how it works, you'll have to talk to someone that knows about transmissions

Old 09-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Dcoffey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed sensor

Originally Posted by Skape
I thought that I could toss in my 2 cents worth of E4OD experiences, A year ago I had trouble with my 96 f250 e4od. it had intermittent shifting issues, one day it worked fine other days it would slam into a "limp mode" other times it would shift oddly. well to get to the point my problem was the speed senor on the rear differential, but wait, i replaced this senor 3 times with an after market version, I went to rock auto and found one that is similar to the original, the senor part was round rather than hexagon. I placed the new one in and poof never had a problem since. So what i suspect was happening was the circuit path was from the sencor to the PCM then to the Speedo then back to the PCM on to the transmission. the sensor failed giving a false reading telling the speedo an incorrect speed which inturn told the transmission to shift up or down at incorrect speeds, the possible conflict caused a fault and the transmission by default went to a safe mode. I know all this sounds garbled but its the only way I could grasp it. bottom line is that the aftermarket sensors dont seem to work properly. I hope this made some sense to you and maybe helps in the future. I know my problem haunted me along time.

do you happen to remember which one you bought? Brand? Same problem i’m having. Drive perfect some days, some days can’t get Out of neighborhood without it shifting crazy, od flashing, going into neutral etc. next morning, drive to work smooth as butter. For some reason.... warmer weather affect frequency. I’ve changed everything from solenoid packs (on old trans) to new rebuilt trans......same thing. If “round” sensor vs “hex” worked for you..... I’ll try it. Thanks

Old 01-27-2024, 05:46 PM
Luvthisoldtruck
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse sensor?

Is there such a thing as a reverse sensor? Truck drives fine, but no reverse.
96 F250 powerstroke.
And, is there ANY other transmission that will interchange with the E4od? They're hard to find, and problematic.