1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD Sudden Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLONDON
UPDATE: I replaced the CPS with a brand new one from the Ford Dealer. The CPS that I removed from the truck looked fairly new, and may have been replaced by the previous owner that I bought the truck from.

Once installed, the truck fired up better than ever before. I then took it for a drive around the neighborhood, and no problems at all. I tested all the gears out several times, and it worked like a charm!

I then left to run a few errands, and after driving about 15 minutes on the highway, I pulled into a parking lot, and once again no darn reverse! I was forward parked towards a building, had to shift in and out of gears, and finally put it in reverse, and it barely reversed out of the parking spot.

Drive is still a little sketchy like yesterday, but reverse is not happening. I'm having flashbacks to the events that unfolded yesterday!

I ran the diagnosis on my programmer, and it comes back clean! No code issues.

Anything else on this guys?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Please help!
From the time it took me to type this update, I decided during that time I would put the truck back to the "stock" setting with the programmer to see if the Edge 15000 programmer may be causing the issue. Especially since after installing the new CPS earlier today, deleted and reinstalled the programming.

After setting it back to "stock" I then proceeded to head back home, and the truck drove just fine again. Reverse and all the other gears shifted and engaged without any problem. I got home, shifted it in and out of all gears again, drive around the neighborhood, and no issues.

I did run the diagnosis again with the programmer, and I received this code again after programming.

P0603 PCM Processor Keep Alive Memory Error

Not sure if it's something that it will throw after programming, or not.

I'm letting it sit now, and will drive it again with no programmer (Stock) after lunch to see if it acts up again.

Please stay tuned!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Skape
Most of my problems began with the speedometer was not steady the needle was bouncing. suddenly i would slip into neutral and had no power to the transmission then it would slam into gear again thus leaving the OD light flashing. after awhile the OD light would blink off and all was fine again until the next mishap. the codes I pulled showed the speed sensor.
Ok. 10-4 Skape. My needle has always done that since I bought the truck back in March 2016. Drove it all the way from the St. Louis, Missouri area to San Antonio, TX without a problem.

I'll definitely keep this in mind if I continue to have problems.

Thank you.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The ONLY way to not have reverse is an internal problem in the transmission. There is NOTHING electronic that can cause no reverse. You can remove all the electronics and you'll still have reverse, if the trans is working.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The ONLY way to not have reverse is an internal problem in the transmission. There is NOTHING electronic that can cause no reverse. You can remove all the electronics and you'll still have reverse, if the trans is working.
10-4. I'm just trying to figure out why it's just an intermittent issue.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Kingkong0192
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You check the shifter linkage to make sure it's in adjustment?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

10-4. I'm just trying to figure out why it's just an intermittent issue.
Sometimes clutch seals fail like that. They get torn, and sometimes they seal, sometimes they don't.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 AM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Kingkong0192
You check the shifter linkage to make sure it's in adjustment?
Thanks Kingkong0192. I'm planning to check that, and verify its compliant.

I appreciate the reply.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Sometimes clutch seals fail like that. They get torn, and sometimes they seal, sometimes they don't.
Ok, I can understand what your saying here. Now, I don't have any experience working on a transmission, and I have very limited connections here where I live of anyone I know and can say I trust to do the work. I'm going to do some research, and contact a few local shops to get a few estimates.

If you were in my position, but with the professional experience you have on this type of work, what steps should I take next on this, and what would be a fair cost to do the repairs?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The best way is to find a shop that's trusted. That's a lot harder than it sounds. I have a few, but none of them are in Texas. I just don't know people in Texas.

Cost can vary from $1500 - $3500 for a stock rebuild.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:27 AM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
The best way is to find a shop that's trusted. That's a lot harder than it sounds. I have a few, but none of them are in Texas. I just don't know people in Texas.

Cost can vary from $1500 - $3500 for a stock rebuild.
Ok, I'm going to do some research on local shops that have top reviews and try to find one that I feel comfortable with.

Would it be best to just do a complete rebuild of the one I have, buy a remanufactured tranny and have them install it, or have them just replace the clutch seals?

My apologies, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this with the shops, so that I get what needs to be done, and not get "raked over the coals" on more repairs than what's needed. Unfortunately, I'm unemployed right now, and the funds are going to be limited, but I do want this done correctly without taking any shortcuts that would end up costing me down the road.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Kingkong0192
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'm going to do some research on local shops that have top reviews and try to find one that I feel comfortable with.

Would it be best to just do a complete rebuild of the one I have, buy a remanufactured tranny and have them install it, or have them just replace the clutch seals?

My apologies, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this with the shops, so that I get what needs to be done, and not get "raked over the coals" on more repairs than what's needed. Unfortunately, I'm unemployed right now, and the funds are going to be limited, but I do want this done correctly without taking any shortcuts that would end up costing me down the road.
You want to find a trusted shop, give them your transmission, and go "hey can you open this up and tell me what's wrong with it".

Then you go from there.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Would it be best to just do a complete rebuild of the one I have, buy a remanufactured tranny and have them install it,
The only difference between those options would be cost. And it could go either way.

or have them just replace the clutch seals?
This is by far the most expensive way to go. Because not too far down the road you'll have problems again and then you'll be right where you are now. And the labor to just replace the seals is exactly the same as to do a full rebuild. You'll only save a few hundred on parts. But you'll spend far more than that rebuilding the trans again.

Originally Posted by Kingkong0192
You want to find a trusted shop, give them your transmission, and go "hey can you open this up and tell me what's wrong with it".

Then you go from there.
That's right.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 AM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
The only difference between those options would be cost. And it could go either way.

This is by far the most expensive way to go. Because not too far down the road you'll have problems again and then you'll be right where you are now. And the labor to just replace the seals is exactly the same as to do a full rebuild. You'll only save a few hundred on parts. But you'll spend far more than that rebuilding the trans again.

That's right.
Thanks for all your advice and input on this Mark K. Hopefully I'll be tackling this challenge very soon, and can only pray for a resolution that doesn't break the bank.

If a rebuild is the route I end up going. Are there any specific upgrades that I should look into doing to help bulletproof the tranny? Maybe purchase a specific rebuild kit for the shop to use, upgraded parts, etc.?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I really like my tugger kit. Made by trans go

Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
KLONDON
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I really like my tugger kit. Made by trans go
I'm not familiar with that product or what it does?

Quick Reply: E4OD Sudden Transmission Shifting Issues