Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a truck recommendation for off-roading

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
superdave1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a truck recommendation for off-roading

Hi,

I just moved to Oregon and now I really want a truck for off-roading. But, I am not a great mechanic. I am totally willing to learn but I want to start with a truck that I can handle.

Would an older F-150 be appropriate? I really like the metal body and extended cab on the older F-150s.

Newer Tacomas seem to be the most popular out here. But I just want to have fun and don't need to spend a lot. Dakotas seem like the best value as far as used go.

Thanks,
SuperDave1

Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 378 Likes on 289 Posts
What kind of offroading? Trails, rock crawling, mud holes, a combination of all? An 87-95 f150 short bed will get in and out of trails better than a four door longbed. But, climbing a hill the longer wheelbase can be an advantage.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
A Supercab short bed F150 would be a fairly good off roader no matter what, around the same wheelbase as a long bed regular cab truck but with the cab type you want. An auto is generally recommended for off roading unless youre good with a manual, feel free to correct me if Im wrong but you sound fairly new to off roading. In my opinion, for a truck that will see exclusively off road use, look for a truck with a C6 auto, as well as fuel injection. This will limit you to 1988 and 1989 trucks, but if you are fine with an electronically controlled transmission (IDed by an "OD ON/OFF" button on the shifter) then that will open your search to include 1990-1996 trucks. Hope this helps, and good luck with your endeavors!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. An F-150 is pretty big (especially width, but also length). That will limit where you can go in some places, but it adds stability which is more important in others. Size-wise a Ranger or an early Bronco might be a little better (staying with Fords since this is a Ford bulletin board), but the F-150 is a nice starting point with a simple, rugged design that can pretty easily be built up if you choose to.

How many people you want to carry (and how big they are) is another factor. I started fourwheeling in a J**p CJ5. It was fine on the trails for two people, but once I added two small kids I couldn't fit lunch in it. And once the kids reached about 10 years old I couldn't fit them either.

Now I have an early Bronco which I think is a great vehicle for a family of 4 to take on day trips. But it's old, so being a mechanic is a necessity, and it's not the cheapest either as it's gotten to be a collectable. As far as an F-150 goes, the back seat of the SuperCabs (Ford-speak for what GM calls an extended cab) is pretty small, again really only good up to about 10 years old kids.

As I ramble here (sorry) I realize that I should have pointed you to a fullsize Bronco earlier. It's the same as an F-150, but with a shorter wheelbase and more room for people in the back seat. It has plenty of room to carry the gear you'll need for the day (but you will need to pull a small trailer if you are going for a longer time. Still, a fullsize Bronco pulling a pop-up tent trailer to a campground and then taking day trips onto the trails would be a good setup.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
I agree with NS above, my comment was assuming you were stuck on having a pick up if you could, but as you can tell in my sig my father-son project is an Gen 2 fullsize Bronc

Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't get a full size truck.
Best bang for your buck is a Jeep Cherokee XJ.
4.5" lift and 33" tires will go damn near anywhere.

If you want a Ford go with a 1st gen Explorer.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't forget if you like the 150 body style that the 250 & 350 bodies were the same. Lot of folks end up going with heavier duty components anyway.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
I have a 96' F150, super cab short box. I put a small lift and 33" AT tires on it and squeeze it just about anywhere I want. Key is to not care about paint... I find it does well. My buddy has a 99' 4runner on 33"s and we go many of the same places, though I have to work a little harder with route selection. Primarily due to weight and skinny tires (10.5" wide vs 12.5" wide). I can haul plenty of gear but personally wouldn't want a smaller truck, unless it were a dedicated trail rig. If the trails aren't too wild I think this is a great truck with some modification.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Bodyguard8367
New User
Originally Posted by superdave1
Hi,

I just moved to Oregon and now I really want a truck for off-roading. But, I am not a great mechanic. I am totally willing to learn but I want to start with a truck that I can handle.

Would an older F-150 be appropriate? I really like the metal body and extended cab on the older F-150s.

Newer Tacomas seem to be the most popular out here. But I just want to have fun and don't need to spend a lot. Dakotas seem like the best value as far as used go.

Thanks,
SuperDave1
Superdave1 Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

Get you an extended cab 4wd. Whatever you can find. They are out there, and plentiful means inexpensive. The type of wheeling you go for influences the appropriateness of the build as well.

If you are going to rock climb with the truck, then you will need winch, air compressor and other goodies. Everyone should have recovery gear. If you are more relaxed, just take your time, and most important have fun!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:19 AM
superdave1
Freshman User
Taking the trails in the National Forest to start with.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 AM
superdave1
Freshman User
I like your and NS's opinion, but I assumed the full-size Bronco's were gonna be pricey. Any years to avoid between 78 and 96? I would be aiming for the 90's.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 AM
superdave1
Freshman User
So, no, not pricey. Carfax says original owner and only $5000. Any thoughts on what I should ask the guy?

Cars for Sale: Used 1993 Ford Bronco in XLT, Bend OR: 97702 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 AM
4DB
Junior User
There are lots of variables that we've only started to get to, but I'll throw my two cents in.

''86 up through '97 F-350s already have heavy duty everything, and these are available in almost every configuration. I've read so many threads about guys trying to put Dana 60 axles in their F-150 or F-250. Ugh. Buy a truck that already has them. This gets you a nice lift as a free bonus. Going with a 350 also gets you other (larger) engine options.

And it wouldn't hurt to be aware of the very rare Northwestern red breasted 4-door Bronco. This rare beast is an F-350 based 4 door Bronco so the top still comes off, the kids can come along until they're 100, there's room for seven, etc., etc. I love mine. This is certainly the right rig for me.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
I would definitely agree with what others are saying. It depends on what kind of off reading you will be doing. I've spent some time wheeling in Oregon and a lot of trails are too tight for a full size truck. Not to mention that you will hate the turning radius out in the woods. I'm planning on getting a fullsize bronco soon to wheel. That one that you posted is pretty nice. Just make sure it is in good condition I've been looking on Craigslist for a while and there are a lot of them in our area for cheap.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
If you're in a lot of trees, you might not like the super cab short box truck. While it's fine in WY for me, we have lots of open space. I can see where the Bronco would be a better choice. If you get an automatic trans, shoot for newest you can get. Early 95' the E4OD saw some good upgrades that are worth while. I'd prefer a 5.8L over a 5.0L, but unless you're towing the 5.0L will be fine.

Quick Reply: Need a truck recommendation for off-roading