Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Up-pipe doesn't line up on early 99

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 AM
73stroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Up-pipe doesn't line up on early 99

I have a early 99 f350. My previous turbo went out. I bought this one from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-99-FORD-7-3-TURBO-POWERSTROKE-SUPER-100-UPGRADE-TURBOCHARGER-/111613541147?hash=item19fcaf7b1b It came with the pedestal and everything. The issue I am having is that my driver side up pipe won't bolt onto the exhaust manifold. It is about half an inch off. I'm wondering if I may have gotten the late 99 pedestal instead of the early 99. Do you think that could be the problem? Or would the rest of the set-up not line up correctly if I was using the wrong pedestal? Another question is can I put the wicked wheel from my old turbo onto this one? If anyone knows info about the new turbo. Otherwise I'm just going to end up spending the money for new up pipes and seeing if that fixes it. I'm not sure if it was leaking before because there was leaks everywhere in the old exhaust and I put a new 4" setup on at the same time of the turbo install.

Last edited by 73stroke; 05-18-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: link
Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73stroke
I have a early 99 f350. My previous turbo went out. I bought this one from ebay. Early 99 Ford 7 3 Turbo Powerstroke Super 100 Upgrade Turbocharger | eBay It came with the pedestal and everything. The issue I am having is that my driver side up pipe won't bolt onto the exhaust manifold. It is about half an inch off. I'm wondering if I may have gotten the late 99 pedestal instead of the early 99. Do you think that could be the problem? Or would the rest of the set-up not line up correctly if I was using the wrong pedestal? Another question is can I put the wicked wheel from my old turbo onto this one? If anyone knows info about the new turbo. Otherwise I'm just going to end up spending the money for new up pipes and seeing if that fixes it. I'm not sure if it was leaking before because there was leaks everywhere in the old exhaust and I put a new 4" setup on at the same time of the turbo install.
I see that it says it is a reman... There is a number at the bottom of the ad to call the guy directly.

Is the DS up pipe too long or too short? Could you have received mis-matched up pipes?

Is the exhaust turbine side of the new turbo larger in diameter than the old turbo?

Is the old pedestal shorter or the same height? I would think that the PS & DS up pipe would be too short if you received a L99 pedestal.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 AM
73stroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
I see that it says it is a reman... There is a number at the bottom of the ad to call the guy directly.

Is the DS up pipe too long or too short? Could you have received mis-matched up pipes?

Is the exhaust turbine side of the new turbo larger in diameter than the old turbo?

Is the old pedestal shorter or the same height? I would think that the PS & DS up pipe would be too short if you received a L99 pedestal.
It seems like the driver side one is too short. The truck wasn't put together very well when I bought it, and I've been trying to make it solid again. I haven't bought new up pipes yet. The exhaust side appears to be the exact same. The pedestals seemed to be the same if I remember correctly but I can't guarantee it. Does anyone know the heights of the different pedestals?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 AM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran into this last summer. Yes the pedestal from E to L 99 has a height variation. so the lager(L99) has clearance on the bottom of the housing to head/VC. Make sure you go back and use your old E 99 platform and turbo. I also would advise replacing the upper up-pipe gaskets with the International ones. Don't try and skimp out.

The ww should be in there stock. But an upgrade would be the Riff raff 4/4 wheel. Mine rubbed my case slightly. It only rubbed at higher pressures. Had to remove and shave off about .003 off the back side to make it work. I guess results could vary on cases on the GT/GTP. Most likely Garrett had a "ballpark' tolerance.

I was thinking of using the L99 larger turbo higher pedestal and intake plenums. As it looks like if you replace it all would line up. But I like the low end spool times with the E-99 set up. My brother in laws L99 cam on a smidgen later, but he also has more injector ect to make more top end. I dont pull trailers at 75-80 so to me its a non issue.

Hope that helps ya out