2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Adding pins to a connector

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 PM
chewtoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding pins to a connector

Hi,

I'm adding two more wires for backup and battery charge for my 7 pole trailer hitch. To do this, I have to continue two wires that go into the rear loom at the connector for the loom that reaches to the hitch. I've identified the wires and that they go into the connector, but there is no pin forthem on the other half of the connector. I need to source the pins so I can attach wires to them, and have them connect through the connector for a nice clean installation.

Unfortunately, my local ford dealer tells me that the pins are not for sale to the public, but I could bring my truck in for service and they can do it. Since I'm no stranger to this kind of work, I'm looking to see if someone can direct me to a source for the pins so I can connect wires to them and finish this myself.

If you can direct me to a source for the pins - they are the larger ones at the top of the photo, I'd be grateful.

I can get a connector from a junkyard if need be, but would rather just order new pins - will be less trouble and cheaper.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:08 PM
k9education
Senior User
I would check Digikey, Mouser, and Terminals & Connectors to see if they have something you can use. Just had a quick look and I'm certain you can find something that will work at one of those sites. The hardest part will be finding them in their massive catalogs.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 PM
chewtoy
New User
Smile

OK, got the connector from a great junkyard Saturday. Astro Auto Wrecking in Long Beach, CA had a 2015 that was hit hard in the front and I got the connector from an earlier Navi that was next to it.

Anyone actually disassemble one of these things?

I got the rear hitch and rear wire loom, as well as stock audiophile speakers to undo the crap work the radio boy prior owner did. Got to crawl around the junkyard and get dirty. It was a big scoring day!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM
chewtoy
New User
Got them! The connectors are weather pak, and pull out if you put firm pressure on them

The other sized connectors are different mounting, so will not respond the same way.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 PM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
Del-City is a great source for all those weatherpak connectors and pins and all sorts of automotive electrical items

Old 06-08-2016, 05:44 AM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just for the sake of clarity, these are NOT WeatherPack connectors. WeatherPack is manufactured by Delphi, whom is very fond of embossing their name on the housings. WeatherPack and MetriPack connectors have terminal guides on the REAR, not the front like typical Ford/Chrysler style connectors do. I've disassembled a few of this style before for a Neon gone SRT4, you gotta pull off the front terminal guide first, then carefully pick the 'ramp' up to release the terminal. Not really hard, just requires the right tools to do it correctly.

Can you get a clearer picture of the terminals? I can see some form of marking on the one with the white seal, but I'm not sure what it says. Looks like it says "AMP", indicating it's an AmpSeal connector from TE Connectivity (formerly Tyco Electronics). The seals look 'shiny' like Ampseal too, WeatherPack/Metripack ones are a bit 'dull' on the surface.

Do the housings have any other markings on them? I'm pretty good at identifying manufacturers by their logos. For example, the blend door actuator connector on my 97 Expedition is made by Yazaki. Only the terminal guide had their logo on it, but that was enough to nail it down.

You got the right idea about just getting new terminals. Mouser, Digi-Key and WayTek Wire are excellent resources for them.