Sponsored by:

Rattle noise in dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:23 AM
st8yd
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Rattle noise in dash

Got a rattle noise in dash that comes and goes it sounds like it is behind radio. Kind of a loud solid sounding noise.
It will do it sitting at at idle occasionally, it will do it when hitting bumps in road occassionaly
Can not find any consistency sometimes its just a little and sometimes real bad, and sometimes nothing at all.
I pulled radio out but cant feel anything loose back there.
Thanks.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I would pull the radio and then drive the truck for a little bit until I hear the noise again. Keep removing dash pieces until you find it.

Rattles and wind noise drives me crazy, I have to stop it as soon as it starts. It really sucks that I have a passenger that like to have his window cracked all the time.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
BEARDOWN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing, I thought it was my radio but ended up being the screw in the top middle of the dash just needed to be tightened up. There is a plastic cover on that screw you will see it if you look near where the dash meets the windshield. I think there are 2 more at each end of the dash as well.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:47 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
This is funny, I picked up this same rattle. Mine does it at idle in park. Been bugging me a bit for a while, no time to chase it, maybe tonight.

I was thinking something in the cowl as I can hear it outside the truck almost louder than inside. The chase begins.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:44 PM
st8yd
Tuned
I found it, so now momma will be happy, well hopefully.
Checked the top dash screw and gave it a couple turns, to no avail. Although that was the area it was coming from.
felt all around under dash, behind radio and couldn't seem to locate it.
Couldn't hear it outside the truck either.
But started feeling around under the hood anyway while wife sat in truck listening.
Moved a small hose, and she honked horn at me, and said it stopped.

There is a 3/4" hose on the driver side that goes into a metal crossover pipe at the back of the engine compartment fire wall and goes over into something on passenger side. Anyway it is held to firewall by two studs and one of the 10mm nuts was backed half way off on the driver side, rather I should say, some ash hole didn't get it all the way back on, and it weren't me.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:12 AM
RedBirdin96
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by st8yd
I found it, so now momma will be happy, well hopefully.
Checked the top dash screw and gave it a couple turns, to no avail. Although that was the area it was coming from.
felt all around under dash, behind radio and couldn't seem to locate it.
Couldn't hear it outside the truck either.
But started feeling around under the hood anyway while wife sat in truck listening.
Moved a small hose, and she honked horn at me, and said it stopped.

There is a 3/4" hose on the driver side that goes into a metal crossover pipe at the back of the engine compartment fire wall and goes over into something on passenger side. Anyway it is held to firewall by two studs and one of the 10mm nuts was backed half way off on the driver side, rather I should say, some ash hole didn't get it all the way back on, and it weren't me.
Resurrecting a really old thread. I have what sounds like a very similar noise. I have driven with radio out, glove box out, pulled most of the dash out, and cannot for the life of me find/replicate the noise except when driving and hitting bumps or rough roads. I see that your signature shows your Ex is a 7.3PSD, but I am wondering if you can take a pic of the hose you tightened the bracket on for me to see if my 6.8L has the same setup or not? Many thanks, as this noise is driving me crazy! It used to be only a winter noise as if in the summer things would expand and tighten up to make the noise go away, but now it is 80+ degrees here in SC and it is still doing it :-(.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Redbird, check my new thread titled "7.3 heater hose woes" for pics of that heater piping from the heater core to the block. I just had to replace a bunch of hose on mine, and that piping was part of the project.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM
RedBirdin96
Mountain Pass
Thank you Mike for the hint. I found your post and see the pictures. Do you know if this hose is the same in the V10 as in the PSD? I will check tonight when I get home form work regardless.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I think it is a 7.3L specific hose...but I could be wrong. I've never worked on a V10.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 PM
st8yd
Tuned
See pic with stud in center of red circle. I have no idea if it is on the V10 or not.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:03 PM
RedBirdin96
Mountain Pass
I have checked under the hood and don’t see that same hose on my V10. I also have removed my glovebox and had my wife drive GM the other night and it sounded more like the noise was coming from the passenger side fender area. I removed the fender liner the next day and found the antenna wire in there and possibly could be hitting the sheet metal of the inner fender. I put a rubber hose around it and zip tied it in place, but that wasn’t it either.

here is a video I took the other night with the glove box out. Has anyone heard this same noise and what was the culprit? I can’t for the life of me find it.