2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the noise in the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the noise in the dash...

Coming home from work tonight, Radio turned down, Air off/Heat off.
Whats the sound coming from the dash around the radio/heater controls/ vents?
Cant really explain the noise, but its like a boiling/clicking/scratching noise.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Cant really explain the noise, but its like a boiling/clicking/scratching noise.
Mine was the plastic cowl piece under the wipers...took forever to find it

Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 03redstx
Mine was the plastic cowl piece under the wipers...took forever to find it
Nope thats not it as you can hear the noise while the truck is sitting still in the driveway.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gremlins from the Kremlin?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
I have a similar noise that you explain but mine is coming from my home depot cold air intake mod (2ft pc of 3"PVC rattling in the fender). Not sure if you have done this or not, sounds like it is coming from the dash, but it is most distinct while idling in gear and a stop light.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
Had you eaten dinner yet...?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
damone
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
I have a similar noise that you explain but mine is coming from my home depot cold air intake mod (2ft pc of 3"PVC rattling in the fender). Not sure if you have done this or not, sounds like it is coming from the dash, but it is most distinct while idling in gear and a stop light.
What's this you speak of. A worthwhile mod? What did it improve?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by damone
What's this you speak of. A worthwhile mod? What did it improve?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ghlight=intake

2nd page (should be there already)

Any gains.....I don't know, but he whole concept makes sense and it cost me lee than $10 and 1/2 hour of my time (while drinking beer). Some claim to hear a difference, I don't, but I also have exhaust on my truck so that may be why i can't hear it. And, I had a 03 cobra that made all kinds of noise (roots type blower) while accelerating so this is a really quiet engine.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Sorry for the questions for your question...

Is the vehicle actually running (on the road, driveway...etc.) during these noises? Do you have the original vehicle radio? Can you change the intensity or the type of the noise from changing heater-a/c settings (or any other settings)?

.BTW...The reason why I bring up the radio question is that, I have a headunint (DVD- double-din) which has a cooling/exhaust fan in the rear of the unit that will ocassionally make a chirping or scratching noise during extreme (outside-ambient) temperature changes. It only usually lasts a few seconds tho.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
Sorry for the questions for your question...

Is the vehicle actually running (on the road, driveway...etc.) during these noises? Do you have the original vehicle radio? Can you change the intensity or the type of the noise from changing heater-a/c settings (or any other settings)?

.BTW...The reason why I bring up the radio question is that, I have a headunint (DVD- double-din) which has a cooling/exhaust fan in the rear of the unit that will ocassionally make a chirping or scratching noise during extreme (outside-ambient) temperature changes. It only usually lasts a few seconds tho.
Havent done the CAI mod so I know its not that.
Yeah vehicle was running as I came into the Sub, I turned the radio down and just wanted to listen. It was then that I heard it, very faint noise.
Figured out it came from the radio/temp control area.
Sat in the driveway and left it running to see if I could pinpoint it more or if it quit doing its thing. But I could still hear it while the vehicle was parked.
I didnt try turning the temp control back on so I dont know..Has factory 6disc changer radio.
Today I didnt notice the sound at all...Maybe the gremlins flew home

Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Well Im thinking of calling the dealer on this one, as it seems to be getting louder and is annoying to me.
Other than you can hear it in the CD/Temp control area, I have been unable to figure out when and why it does it. Yesterday the temp control was off and you could hear it, 30 minutes later it quit. Never to be heard again.
Unless you guys have any other clues as to what it may be. Im not even sure how im going to explain it to the mechanic so I hope its doing its thing when I take it in!!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
My hazzard of a guess....
Air in your cooling system perhaps? Did you recently add colant or check its level with the cap off? If so maybe you trapped an air buble somewhere and you can hear it in the heater core..bubbling etc. Has it been running hotter?
-Chris

Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 73f350sc
My hazzard of a guess....
Air in your cooling system perhaps? Did you recently add colant or check its level with the cap off? If so maybe you trapped an air buble somewhere and you can hear it in the heater core..bubbling etc. Has it been running hotter?
-Chris
Ah...I wonder, I just had a oil change about a week ago at the dealership, Dont know if they would have checked this.
Thinking about it I hadnt really noticed it until after the oil change, not to say that it wasnt doing it before but it is more noticeable now, maybe because I know what im listen for and havent had the radio blaring as much.
Havent noticed it running hotter, If it is a trapped air bubble how can I get rid of it?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
2004/4.6/4x4
New User
HMMM I have an 04 f150, with the 4.6, and it does the same thing! I notice it when im at a complete stop with my foot on the brake. It sounds like a computer booting up inside my dashboard.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Sometimes it will work itself out...short of that...you may want to consider doing a flush on the cooling system...but dont do it with compressed air...that could make things worse....Im sure if you do a search youll find some posts on doing exactly that and the best methods.
-Chris

Quick Reply: Whats the noise in the dash...