2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

So much new tech....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 PM
RBtruckin'
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much new tech....

So has anyone heard if Sync Connect will be available as an option at some point for the 2017 Super Duty trucks? I know they will come with the Sync 3 Infotainment System and reportedly Apple's CarPlay and Googles Android Auto will be added in a software update towards the end of the year, but what about the in-vehicle LTE connection that is Sync Connect? Articles are saying it will be included on "select" 2017 vehicles. If you haven't heard of Sync Connect yet it appears to be a cellular connection just for your ford vehicle that allows you to control your truck from an Apple or Andriod smartphone. Remote Start from anywhere, scheduled remote starts, lock/unlock doors, windows, climate control, etc.... Basically control vehicle functions from anywhere with your phone as long as the modem in the truck has a signal.

So much interesting tech in these 2017's. It's why I held off the 2016 models. Excited about seeing what becomes of the rumors and what surprises there will be.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Still playing catch up with GM in the tech world.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
My BMW X5 has the same called Connected Drive. It is a neat feature to have your car live. The main screen has configurable widgets which can provide all different kinds of info. I didn't realize Ford was going this direction too. The only down side I see is that while I'm sure it will be free (just like satellite radio) to begin with, it will be a subscription based service at some point during ownership and end up being another monthly or annual payment to make. For our BMW, we get 4 years for free but I'm guessing Ford will be less. Ah well, gotta pay to play...

Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
I would imagine the Super Duty will get it, maybe not at launch, but shortly after I would think. The '17 Escape is the first Ford vehicle with it I believe.

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
For our BMW, we get 4 years for free but I'm guessing Ford will be less. Ah well, gotta pay to play...
I believe it will be 5 years free for Ford vehicles. At least, I think that's what I read on the Escape.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
System
Prolocutor
That would be a pleasant surprise!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:47 AM
RBtruckin'
New User
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I would imagine the Super Duty will get it, maybe not at launch, but shortly after I would think. The '17 Escape is the first Ford vehicle with it I believe.
In my reading it seems that the feature requires a physical modem to provide the LTE connectivity so Ford wouldn't be able to patch it in with a software update. If the Super Duty doesn't come with that modem I wonder if it's possible and how difficult it will be to add the functionality later?

I think I remember reading somewhere that "customers will have a choice of options between Sync 3 and Sync Connectivity". That could mean hardware and design that's necessary for the feature that we may not have access too.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RBtruckin'
In my reading it seems that the feature requires a physical modem to provide the LTE connectivity so Ford wouldn't be able to patch it in with a software update. If the Super Duty doesn't come with that modem I wonder if it's possible and how difficult it will be to add the functionality later?

I think I remember reading somewhere that "customers will have a choice of options between Sync 3 and Sync Connectivity". That could mean hardware and design that's necessary for the feature that we may not have access too.
Correct, it will require a modem, but my thoughts are that the modem will be included with Sync 3, and turning on the functionality will be a software update.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh... just give me a nice XLT with the basics and I'll buy myself a 2 way Viper remote start system.

How the hell do $60K+ cars not have 2 way remote start fobs that the aftermarket sells for ~$500?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 PM
RBtruckin'
New User
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Meh... just give me a nice XLT with the basics and I'll buy myself a 2 way Viper remote start system.

How the hell do $60K+ cars not have 2 way remote start fobs that the aftermarket sells for ~$500?
I'm not positive about these new trucks but I believe they do have the two way remote start key fobs. The Sync Connect is additional functionality the allows you to control the vehicle with your phone from anywhere, with many more options. This is in addition to the key fobs which are very limited relatively. I'd likely use the key fob most of the time but the cellular connectivity brings lots of options and functions to the table with room to grow.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
GM vehicles have leveraged OnStar for these functions for years now.

Nevertheless, I have no interest in paying another subscription for cellular data, and really, what more do we need to do remotely other than start the car? The 2015+ F-150's have the two-way remote start built into the newly designed key fobs. After pushing the button sequence to remote start, a green LED on the remote blinks to indicate a successful start, or a red LED blinks to show a failed start. I like the remote start, but I don't need any confirmation lights or messages...I can hear the roar of the engine firing up, and see the parking lights come on.

Being able to unlock the vehicle from "around the world" is silly and useless. Having an LTE modem connected to vehicle functions is nothing other than an invitation to have your vehicle hacked.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would assume that if Ford offers something that's considered cutting edge, by default it's going into a fully loaded Super Duty.

The nerd in me is excited about an embedded LTE connection even though it may not amount to anything I'll use. 😄

Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by EightySecond
The nerd in me is excited about an embedded LTE connection even though it may not amount to anything I'll use. 😄
Me too. Plus, it can't be hacked. It's not a Fiat...

Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Threads like this inspire me to look at my 14 year old son and ask him to figure out a cable to connect the OBD2 port to a phone. Then, figure a way an owner could tuck an old/unused phone in the vehicle and have it be the modem y'all are talking about and it could handle all the functions (maybe). I've given him all kinds of ideas which are certainly way over his head and probably not possible, but, one never knows......

Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Meanwhile all of these connectivity "enhancements" all ready exist in your cell phone.

Why any one would pay for navigation and sync is way beyond me especially when you can get a smart phone the size of a small tv.

What a bunch of foolish crap to fix.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Fix? I've never had to fix a NAV in any car? Any other infotainment item either. Let's go back to crank windows and manual locks while we are at it. My grandfather said power windows and locks were foolish and prone to breaking too... Lol...

Quick Reply: So much new tech....