Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Clock spring swap

Old 04-27-2016, 04:07 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clock spring swap

Hi, I have a 1992 Aerostar Sport edition. My clock spring went bad like 6 months ago. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. Not even at the Ford. I went to different junk yards and couldn't find the same exact one. Since i wanted to change the steering wheel anyway, i got the steering wheel and the clock spring from a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport at the junk yard. The clock spring fits perfectly and so the steering wheel. My only problem is that clock spring harness is different. I have no problem on the steering wheel side since both the steering wheel and the clock spring came from the same car. But under the dash is a different story. I have the manual for my Aerostar with the wiring schematic for the speed control system (cruise control) and horn but i just can't find the one for the 1999 Explorer. I got one for a 1996 Explorer and have the same wire colors than the clock springs i got from the 1999 Explorer. But i want to make sure i got the right schematic to feel confident i'm doing the job right. I can also use another version for the 1992 Aerostar because mine is a little confusing.
My old clock spring had two harnesses. One for the airbag which i am not going to use (i dont like airbags) and a second one for the cruise control/horn. This harness had four wires. One thick black one that goes to the casing of the ignition switch, and three more smaller wires (BK, LB/BK, and Y/LB). The clock spring from the 1999 Explorer has six wires on that harness. One thick black that goes to the ignition switch and five more smaller ones (BK, LB/BK, DG/O, Y/LG, and R/BK). Going by the two schematics i have them figured out (i think), but want to make sure.
Any help will be very appreciated Thank you in advance!

Old 04-27-2016, 04:38 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at the 99 explorer Contact diagram, I am seeing the at BK/WH goes to ground, the DG/OG goes to speed control ground, LB/BK goes to Speed control switch input, VE/LG goes to the anti-theft module/horn/cigar lighter, RD/BK goes to instrument cluster illumination, GV/OG air bag feed, GV/WH air bag return.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM
geearturi
Junior User
This is the diagram i have....
Does it look like the one you have? It sounds very similar. Thanks.

1996 Ford Explorer

Old 04-27-2016, 05:30 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Yes, except that the 99 had PATS, so the line splits between the RAP module and the horn (the Y/LG on your diagram, which in 99 becomes VE/LG).

Old 04-27-2016, 06:14 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Oh ok, so i guess i can follow safely the one i have. This is the diagram of my 1992 Aerostar. Is it safe to conclude that this is the way to do it?: Y/LG 6 (clockspring) with Y/LB 6 (car). BK/W 570(clockspring) to ground (car). DG/O 848 (clockspring) with BK 57A (car). LB/BK 151 (clockspring) with LB/BK 151 (car). And R/BK 235 (clockspring) to instrument illumination (car).
Sorry, but another set of eyes would be very helpful and really appreciated Thanks!!!

1992 Ford Aerostar

Old 04-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
About 8-10 years ago, I bought a replacement Ford clockspring for my '93 Aerostar. I do remember that there was a direction sheet inside the box that said exactly what had to be done to install it because (IIRC) it was a retrofit that was originally made for the Explorer. I never installed it and I THINK it's still around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it somewhere in the next day or so. Perhaps the instructions will help you.....perhaps they won't.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kruse
About 8-10 years ago, I bought a replacement Ford clockspring for my '93 Aerostar. I do remember that there was a direction sheet inside the box that said exactly what had to be done to install it because (IIRC) it was a retrofit that was originally made for the Explorer. I never installed it and I THINK it's still around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it somewhere in the next day or so. Perhaps the instructions will help you.....perhaps they won't.
Thank you so much! I'm sure it will help.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
It looks like they used different color wire, but this should straighten it out.

Here is the 99 Explorer wiring diagram for the clockspring:

and here is your 92 Aero

The 99 has a line RD/BK for the light on the dash (seen in later models to tell you that the cruise is on, which you could add a light to tell you, or just leave disconected)

It looks like the YE/LG (exp) would go to the Y/LG (aero) for the horn.

Then the LB/Bk (exp) would go to the LB/BK (aero) for cruise pos.

then DG/OG and BK/WH (exp) would be your BK (aero) would be your grounds.

I am shot from a hard day so I am not 100% sure if that is right.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Originally Posted by 93nighthawk
It looks like they used different color wire, but this should straighten it out.

Here is the 99 Explorer wiring diagram for the clockspring:

and here is your 92 Aero

The 99 has a line RD/BK for the light on the dash (seen in later models to tell you that the cruise is on, which you could add a light to tell you, or just leave disconected)

It looks like the YE/LG (exp) would go to the Y/LG (aero) for the horn.

Then the LB/Bk (exp) would go to the LB/BK (aero) for cruise pos.

then DG/OG and BK/WH (exp) would be your BK (aero) would be your grounds.

I am shot from a hard day so I am not 100% sure if that is right.

Cool! That's exactly how i had it figured out. Except for the R/BK. I think that goes connected to the dash/instruments illumination so when you turn your lights at night the cruise control buttons will illuminate as well. I could be wrong, though. You have no idea how much i appreciate your help!!!

Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Okay. My part search didn't take as long as I thought it would. I have a parts inventory that would put a few dealers to shame and since it's not categorized, sometimes things take awhile to find . (I'm not lying. I've worked for some dealership owners who don't keep any replacement parts in inventory. Tightwads.....)
ANYWAY, I found my replacement Aerostar clock spring. Actually, Ford just calls it a "Contact". Here is where things get fuzzy: There are no directions inside the box. Did I open it years ago and lose them? Did the parts man print up a set of retrofit instructions that I lost? Did I print up the instructions somewhere and lost them? Your guess is as good as mine. I do seem to remember that it was a retrofit fix, and the "B" suffix might support that statement, or maybe it was just an improved part, I don't know.
The part number on the box is: F3UZ-14A664-B. I specifically wrote on the box: "Aerostar Clocksping". At the time, I purchased it for my '93 that had an erratic clockspring that magically fixed itself, so I never bothered to replace it.
Perhaps a few part experts might chime in and give me some facts on this part number and what it fits and what it doesn't.....

Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Okay. My part search didn't take as long as I thought it would. I have a parts inventory that would put a few dealers to shame and since it's not categorized, sometimes things take awhile to find . (I'm not lying. I've worked for some dealership owners who don't keep any replacement parts in inventory. Tightwads.....)
ANYWAY, I found my replacement Aerostar clock spring. Actually, Ford just calls it a "Contact". Here is where things get fuzzy: There are no directions inside the box. Did I open it years ago and lose them? Did the parts man print up a set of retrofit instructions that I lost? Did I print up the instructions somewhere and lost them? Your guess is as good as mine. I do seem to remember that it was a retrofit fix, and the "B" suffix might support that statement, or maybe it was just an improved part, I don't know.
The part number on the box is: F3UZ-14A664-B. I specifically wrote on the box: "Aerostar Clocksping". At the time, I purchased it for my '93 that had an erratic clockspring that magically fixed itself, so I never bothered to replace it.
Perhaps a few part experts might chime in and give me some facts on this part number and what it fits and what it doesn't.....
Yes, they also call it airbag contact, slip ring or clock spring. Don't worry. Trying to help counts too, and you tried to help me. Thank you Hope you find it just in case you need to replace it someday. Or you can always comeback to this post. I think i have enough to give it a try. I will post any outcome. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
I do seem to remember that it was a retrofit fix, and the "B" suffix might support that statement, or maybe it was just an improved part, I don't know.

I show F5TZ 14A664-D for 95-97 Aero, w/ Airbag, w/ cruise. F2UZ 14A664-B for 1992, and F39Z 14A664-A, which supersedes to F3UZ 14A664-B, which has a comment "when replacing with F3UZ-B tape back unused connector." and that is used for 93-94 models. Also it is listed for the 93-94 E-150/250/350.

So now you know.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 AM
geearturi
Junior User
UPDATE: SUCCESS!!!!
I finally had time to work on connecting the cruse control and horn wires and everything is working perfect. I connected the wires as mentioned in last post. I also connected the red/bk wired from the clockspring to the ash tray/lighter illumination and now my cruise control buttons on the steering wheel illuminate along with the instrument panel illumination when i turn the lights on.

One more question though, how many volts do all those light bulbs on the dash and ash tray are suppose to get? I'm getting only 7 volts and the illumination is very dim. Been noticing that for about a year or so. I think my dimmer switch/lights switch is going bad since i have to kinda play with it a little to get the dash illumination to work.

Anyway, just wanted to share the results
Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:48 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Great work, and contribution to the knowledge base.

Most automotive bulbs are designed to work at 12 volts, so to get their full designed brightness, that's what they need. It's possible your dimmer has a dirty spot on it, and you may be able to clean it off by turning it back and forth a few times. Sometimes dimmers just wear out because they've been set to a certain spot for too long. Other possibility is that some lights are dimmed intentionally so they won't distract you at night.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
geearturi
Junior User
Thank you!!
Yes, my dimmer is probably bad then since i have to turn it back and forth, like you said, to make it work. I'm gonna try to buy it new. I don't think i want that from a junk yard if i don't have to. Shouldn't be that expensive.
Thank you again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clock spring swap