Rebuild vs crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Kieran Underhill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild vs crate engine

Hey all,
I need some advice. I am not mechanically gifted at all and to be honest have no intention of doing this work myself it will be done by professionals.

What i want to know is i have a F150 fx4 with a 5.2 vortex v8 that has 165k miles on it. Im trying to decide if i should have the current stock engine rebuilt or if i should just drop a crate engine in it.

What is the pros and cons of each?

If i decide crate engine could i put a diesel engine in it in place of the v8 gas engine?

Also for crate engines what is suggested?

Also i plan to have more work done to this truck than just the engine. It will be getting off road tires, and about a 4 inch lift, a flowmaster dual exhaust, and a cold air intake as well as some other improvments. Now i know that the transmission will probably also need to be rebuilt or replaced to keep up with the engine.

Help me out here guys. Im a Firefighter/Medic this is all out of my league.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

F150 FX4. 2005, right?

So you don't have a Vortex. "Vortec" motors are GM, so we know you don't have one of those either.

5.2 V8. No such animal at Ford.

Could it be a 5.4 Triton? Let's go with that.

It appears you have emissions testing in CT:

The Connecticut Emissions Program « CT Emissions

Generally, with an OBD II vehicle and an emissions testing regimen like you have, you pretty much have to stick with the OEM engine set up just like it came from the factory.

Is your engine worn out? If so, you can get a factory spec long block and install that with all the existing intake and exhaust hardware and electronics.

A diesel engine is not an option. It would be subject to the OBD test and to make a swap like that would cost many times the value of the truck.

Cold air intakes--doesn't your truck already draw air from outside the engine compartment? Save your money.

Dual exhaust? Look into cat-back systems if you must have more noise. Dual or large single it doesn't matter power wise.

Big tires and a lift. Your gas mileage will drop nicely. You may be able to get your speedo adjusted to the tires.

You may also be able to get a little more power out of a good running OEM spec motor via the tuner route:

FORD 5.4L/330 Computer Programmers - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

And of course, there is always supercharging. That probably won't fly emissions wise but is "easily" reversible.

https://www.procharger.com/truck-sup...04-f-150-54-3v

Old 04-21-2016, 01:25 AM
Kieran Underhill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol yes its the triton engine. My apologies this is my first ford. Thank you for the advice. The current engine is a bit lacking in power but still runs well. And im not overly concerned with the decrease in fuel economy as i am a live in firefighter and reside at the station full time so i dont have much of a commute. This truck is more or less becoming an off road toy now and a project.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What are the compression specs of the engine? Why would you want to rebuild/ replace. If its broke don't fix it. If you want more giddy up in the trails and around town change your differential gearing, while you're at it install a locking differential for the trail. That limited slip in the trail doesn't help much. Where in CT are you located. Swing by the Connecticut Members forum and say hi

Connecticut Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums