Replacement tv antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Replacement tv antenna?

I need to replace the old batwing antenna in my rv. It predates Hd tv and I'm pretty sure I don't want to repair it. I don't like the big clunky thing any way.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking of one of the omni directional types that look like a big mushroom.

Or does anyone use an indoor amplified antenna?

This is one of those times I wouldn't mind a simple reasonable cost solution that doesn't involve me getting on the roof of my camper.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I replaced my batwing antenna with a "Jack HD TV Antenna" I got it off Amazon. It works 100% better in my opinion than the batwing that there is no comparison and I don't have to remember to lower it either, although I never had that problem, but came close a couple of times. Search for the "Jack RV antenna" an you will get lots of info.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Although I now have a Jack on our fiver, I compared it in two different locations where I was familiar with the reception and did a before and after. I found no improvement at all. I read all the comments about the Jack on multiple sources and they were certainly positive, but I had pretty good reception with my bat wing and the Jack did not change that.

I guess results may vary by location or depend on the rig. I don't know the reason, but I didn't get any change. Not saying others are wrong. Just saying it didn't work for me. I just left it on as it was no worse than the original.

You can find comments about the window mounted antennas sprinkled around the Internet.

Steve

Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 AM
tmilicia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will 2nd Steve's above comments. I have used both the Jack and the batwing on different campers and I really saw no difference either way. I will tell you to stay away from the Jensen Omni-directional antenna, that thing is a piece of junk. It came factory on my last camper and I couldn't pick up more than a couple stations with it where I knew I could grab many more.. I replaced that one with the Jack and was then able to pull in the stations I knew were in my reach. I have the batwing on my current toyhauler and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the comments.

I'll probably pull the ladder out and see if it's and easy an easy fix.

I'm thinking not as the direction pointer and the antenna don't line up and it stows funny. It also will not power either.

I'm thinking that one of the storms last year really fine tuned the antenna on one of our extended stays last year.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Thanks for the comments.

I'll probably pull the ladder out and see if it's and easy an easy fix.

I'm thinking not as the direction pointer and the antenna don't line up and it stows funny. It also will not power either.

I'm thinking that one of the storms last year really fine tuned the antenna on one of our extended stays last year.
The antenna on the roof is fixed and the part you pull down inside fits into slots on the antenna so make sure things are right inside. There is really nothing that should change on the roof unless the antenna was actually ripped out of the roof.

Powering up is also an inside issue with the amplifier in the wall. The antenna is simply connected with coax. The issue on the roof is whether the coax is broken. When you say powering up, do you mean you have no light, in which case I would check the fuse behind the amplifier.

Just some ideas,

Steve

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I once read on one of the RV forums where a guy compared a Jack antenna to a batwing using actual test equipment to measure signal strengths. The Jack did not perform as well as the batwing. Winegard also sells an attachment that increases signal sensitivity of the batwing antenna.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I did have the HD attachment on my bat wing. It takes about 5 minutes to install and costs only about $30.00 (amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...an%2Caps%2C156)

Steve

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I did have the HD attachment on my bat wing. It takes about 5 minutes to install and costs only about $30.00 (amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...an%2Caps%2C156)

Steve
I keep meaning to get one. I think they were only $15.00 when I first started thinking about getting one. Now I need two, and they're twice as expensive!
Guess I'll keep messing around until they cost $40.00 each...

Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
The antenna on the roof is fixed and the part you pull down inside fits into slots on the antenna so make sure things are right inside. There is really nothing that should change on the roof unless the antenna was actually ripped out of the roof.

Powering up is also an inside issue with the amplifier in the wall. The antenna is simply connected with coax. The issue on the roof is whether the coax is broken. When you say powering up, do you mean you have no light, in which case I would check the fuse behind the amplifier.

Just some ideas,

Steve
yep no light when powered up.

Also the alignment is all messed up (orientation indicator).

What holds the indicator ring in? Right now the only thing holding mine in the hole is the handle it self.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Yes, that's all that holds it on.
Figure 9 of the Winegard installation and maintenance guide shows how it is put together. Here is a link to the pdf:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451808.pdf

Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys. I'll try and look at it tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can get the King Jack as a complete system replacement that doesn't have to be cranked up, or you can get it as the batwing only replacement that mounts on the top of the crank up pole. I did the second one and am getting a little better reception.
The Winegard supplement is also a good improvement, but it sounds as if you need a total replacement if you have no power for the booster.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:16 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Plug a phone charger (with a light) into the 12v socket to see if the outlet has power. If it does not have power, then you're going to need to go searching for a blown fuse. If it does have power, then you're going to have to pull the switchbox cover and start checking connections. The only connection between the antenna and that panel (with the amplifier button) is coaxial cable.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If you do not have power, the fuse in often on the back side of the amplifier. You are not likely to find it in your fuse panel.

Steve

Quick Reply: Replacement tv antenna?