Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Build Thread - Onug's Silver Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And for today's mod, my WeatherTech floor mats arrived. Since I've got kids, I went with the full coverage models. Heck, I'd have seriously considered a rubber floor if Ford let me order it in the Lariat trim level.

These things fit like a glove. At first the front passenger side didn't match up very well and I was getting irked. Then I realized a corner was ever so slightly hung up behind the glove box. Once that was fixed, it looked great.

However, I wasn't happy with the way they transition to the door edges. While the basic design helps channel junk away from the seats, I could see the other three in my family (not me...no way) tripping on the corners at some point. So I decided to do some trimming and tuck them under the door kick plate (or whatever they're called). While I hate cutting new toys, I'm really happy with the result. I've eliminated the trip hazard and the plates actually help keep the mats in place...

The un-boxing...

Fit like a glove...but don't like the trip hazard potential for people getting in/out of the truck

Doing some trimming...

Trimming done and kick plate re-installed. it holds the mats in place and eliminates the lip that someone could trim on while getting in/out

Old 04-02-2016, 02:15 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I have Weathertechs too. Great product. I would like for the passenger side had locating snaps like the driver's side. Not Weathertechs fault though. I might put the rough side of some velcro on the bottom so the mat will grip the carpet better.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 AM
onug
Postmaster
This has been a busy week for accessories...

Added a Decked drawer system to the bed. It holds the same amount of stuff as an inside-the-rails truck box, so I decided to give it a shot. With this layout, I loose some depth (12.5") but have easy access to my gear and retain a flat deck for hauling stuff. It's rated to hold 2,000lbs, which is well above my truck's capacity. The system weighs 220lbs.

They advertise it as "weatherproof" and I've yet to see any water or dust in the drawers. I haven't driven in a solid rain yet, so I'm still testing that feature. Hopefully we get a good downpour before I get my canopy.

There was a fair amount of assembly involved, but it was straight forward. The instructions are pretty good and some humor is interlaced in the text, so it makes for a fun read.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 AM
garymac
Freshman User
The Decked system is pretty nice, though does add a lot of weight. Unfortunately they don't make it for an 8' bed.

The upgrades on my '16 SCAB have been subtle. As mentioned before I had the bed Line X'd, added a tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and rear wheel liners. I removed the 4x4 stickers. Still need to get the vent shades.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:21 PM
onug
Postmaster
Got my phone mount in as well. I had a Proclip on my F-350 and really liked it, so I got another one for this truck. The mount puts the phone at an easy-to-reach location, but doesnt' block any of my view out of the truck. The strap over the top of the dash is a bit strange, but I'll get used to it. It's a solid mount and once I get the holder dialed in to my odd-sized phone case, I'll be golden. Oh, and find a way to route the power cord that doesn't block the dash *****.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
onug
Postmaster
And got my cab steps on. They're the "Folded Flag" special editions from Iron Cross. I really wanted some of the black OEM cab steps, but couldn't find them w/o going to a dealership, so I decided to try these (and save a few hundred bucks). Other than the impressive shipping box, I don't have much nice to say about these. The instructions were a complete joke and the install just went down hill from there. The brackets that attach to the truck are fairly sturdy, but he mounting hardware for the steps are a joke. They require small hands with strange joints to install the screws. The hardware didn't include washers or any locking nuts; I used lock-tite. Installation might have been easier with the truck up on lifts, but working all the small parts under the truck was insanely frustrating. I tried a different technique on the second step. The hardware that I couldn't get installed on the first step fell out of the second step as I walked to the truck and nearly broke my toe. Everything was dropped, dents added, many bad words said and I think a neighbor closed their windows. Finally, with all the dropping, shimmying and shifting, the cheap black surface treatment chipped off in a number of locations. It won't survive rocks hitting it on the road. I hope to get a few years out of them before they rust apart.

I do like the wide step. They stick out a bit, but are perfect for kids and seniors...both of which sit in the back of my rig often. And hopefully they take the hits from other car doors.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:29 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
OEM take off cab steps are all over Craigslist down here. Lots of people remove them from brand new trucks.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 PM
onug
Postmaster
Funny, I didn't even think about Craig's List. Dang it...I'll start there if/when these fail.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Western
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi.. saw you posted on my question on the engine issue.. how you like the 3.5EB? I did test drove both.. not sure which which will do for me until you said 2.7 will fit more nicely for me.. 80% on highway with three good size hills to go thru. some light towing such as fourwheeler,, 5x8 trailer of firewood, light stuff,, nothing major hauling. my feeling is this,, I dont make a mistake on getting a small engine that says "if I could make it". dont need bigger engine that is a overkill.. my mind leaning 2.7 while my body is leaning for 3.5 eb.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 PM
onug
Postmaster
I love the 3.5 EB and the MAX tow package with the 3.55 rear diff. The truck just jumps when I tip into the throttle. I got home over an hour ago and I'm still grinning from the freeway run home. Now that I'm past 1,000 miles I've been working the engine harder and played with the "Sport" setting tonight. I was really surprised how fast the 2.7 engine felt, but I'm glad I went with the 3.5. I'm not towing anything right now, but I love having the capacity.

Good luck with your decision. If MPG isn't a factor, then get the 3.5EB. I'm a firm believer in the "it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have" phrase.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
EDITED

Posted in the wrong thread. Right quote, but I don't want to derail your thread. I'm gonna post over there now.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
onug
Postmaster
And she's done...for now. Weather tech mudflaps installed last weekend and the Snugtop installed yesterday.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
meganjoe
5th Wheeling
onug..

I just ordered a Silver XLT.. I also want to put a cap on mine.. What kind did you get and what options??

Thanks, Joe

Last edited by meganjoe; 05-01-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling..
Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Western
New User
damn.. nice rig. Yesterday, I took the chance to test the 3.5EB at a different dealer.. oh my!! I want it.. with the extra punch is handy down the line.. I like your towing mirrors better than the stock that came with it.. what package or part to order that? gonna get ruby red color.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
onug
Postmaster
Joe - It's the Snugtop SuperSport. I got the folding slider rear window, carpet lined interior, light switch connected to the truck battery, the lock mechanism that connects to the truck tailgate lock (so it locks/unlocks with the truck) and the cargo box rails on the top.

Western - As we've discussed, I love my 3.5EB. I'm glad I got it since I've added a bit of weight with the Decked system and canopy. I think the tow mirrors are a must have, even if you don't tow. They provide a huge improvement over the "normal" mirrors. I can keep track of everything around the truck without having to strain to the left or right over my shoulder. They're an exclusive option; not part of a trim package. I specified them when I spec'ed my truck.

Quick Reply: Build Thread - Onug's Silver Bullet