1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

A Conversation on AirBags in old vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM
back2fords
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Conversation on AirBags in old vehicles

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger that I plan on keeping until I can't run it any longer. But this whole thing with airbags gives me the "*******". How likely is it that an old airbag will blow up, as they are apparently doing on newer vehicles. Do any states allow you to remove them after a certain vintage? Surely they must get either dangerous or just plain not work after a time. Any thought?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on my 97 i had to disconnect them. the sensors were bad.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:04 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,618 Likes on 1,319 Posts
Your '96 predates the (so far) Takata list of vehicles. So no problem there.

Your truck should have an airbag light that comes on when you turn on the ignition, then goes out once the engine starts. For the most part, if that light is coming on, then going off, and it does not come on at any other time, I think your airbag system is "safe". Early airbags were too powerful, but unless you are leaning on them asleep, or put your child seat on top of them, they are not particularly dangerous and do a fine job of keeping you away from things in a crash. (they do make your ears ring for a while....I've popped them and hope never to repeat that)

In the case of post 2, where the sensors went bad, I am going to guess that his light came on and he disconnected the whole thing rather than fool with sensors. The bag and charge are still there however. I think it is unlikely the bag would go off without a signal from the sensor.

We have been hearing about the Takata bags and the occasional airbag pop. This website seems to cover a lot of ground on older systems outside the Takata problem:

Airbag Center: Reset Airbag Light On | Reset Airbag Module | Car Airbags | SRS Airbags

Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
While I am not condoning the Takata air bags, I feel that any vehicle with an air bag, even a Takata air bag, will give the occupants a better chance of surviving a serious crash than any vehicle without an air bag.
It is true that Takata air bags have killed people when they deploy, but how many people have died because they did not have an air bag?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,618 Likes on 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Kruse
While I am not condoning the Takata air bags, I feel that any vehicle with an air bag, even a Takata air bag, will give the occupants a better chance of surviving a serious crash than any vehicle without an air bag.
It is true that Takata air bags have killed people when they deploy, but how many people have died because they did not have an air bag?

I do not know if every Takata air bag throws metal when it goes off. Probably not, or there would be a much larger number of fatalities. So your odds are probably still better with than without even with a Takata bag.

Attention to the condition of seat belts would be ahead of the air bag IMO. But only after tires, brakes, steering and lights. Avoid a crash and the bag is less of a worry.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 AM
back2fords
New User
The consensus seems to be that the system is okay and not dangerous. A previous mechanic disconnected the sensors in my Ranger, I guess, as the light is always on. Problem is now I am in a state where the system is supposed to function as originally intended to pass inspection. I'll see if I can have it trouble-shot and reconnected. Thanks all for your input.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First of all, the airbags don't just "blow up." You seem to be implying that they just deploy for no reason. The recalled airbags still only deploy when you're in an accident, never any other time. But when they deploy, they MIGHT send some metal fragments flying, which can injure you.

Your airbags were not recalled, so you have nothing to worry about. And even if they were recalled, they still most likely would NOT send metal fragments flying. My Ranger WAS recalled for this, and guess what? I already got in an accident about 4 years ago and the recalled, "dangerous" airbags deployed! No metal fragments anywhere.

Disabling airbags, or any other safety device for that matter, on any vehicle is illegal. Doesn't matter how old the vehicle is, and doesn't matter if your area has safety inspections or not.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM
back2fords
New User
First off, I'm not implying anything. I'm simply trying to weed my way to getting this fool truck inspected. In a world where we have been making ignition switches for 100 years and still have them killing people, I want to be sure that I reach a balance between what is good sense and petty foolishness. I have been driving for over 55 years without airbags. I did not disconnect the airbag system, I'm just trying to figure how to get it reconnected again without my wallet being outrageously foraged by the local geniuses.
Let me give you an example. The emergency brake's plastic handle broke and fell off. I asked, among other things, to have a new one glued in its place. Instead what I got was a totally new lever and rod system installed for $240. I was told one could not buy “just the handle”. I could have glued my own home-made thing on it I knew that. This sort of thing does not build my confidence in these people doing the right thing.