1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van Theft, not mine..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:20 PM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Van Theft, not mine..

Someone on facebook got their van stolen here in the great northwest, they didn't have an alarm or any kind of ignition disable..

The world is in chaos, there are no jobs, there is no money, people are hungry, people are homeless and people are desperate..

Living in a van is now legal in Los Angeles and lot's of people are looking to make that switch, some of these folk are willing to steal a van to make themselves a home, better yet a home with wheels..

Unless you are proactive and have taken steps to deter/prevent the unauthorized use/theft of your vehicle you are a potential target and your van could be somebody else's new home..

I just want you to realize how our main choice of vehicles is also the main choice of those less fortunate, please don't let yourself become a victim..

It doesn't matter what type of anti-theft device you use, as long as it's effective and gives you peace of mind, if you're gong to use a club or device to lock the steering wheel i would suggest you search youtube and see how easily these devices can be defeated..

Lock picking tools are readily sold and there are videos online detailing how to pick most any type of lock so do your research and choose something that's real hard or impossible to defeat..

The "Pedal Jack" is very popular and there are several variations of the same design that work equally well, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Old 03-26-2016, 10:07 PM
foompla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tha js fort he reminder. I've been putting it off.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I'm covered too...

Insurance.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
The world is doing the best it has ever done, humanity wise. They eliminated polio from the entire continent of Africa recently. Don't let a couple morons on television, and a few angry turds from mom's basement ruin it for everybody.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 AM
delgriffith
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gman97005
Living in a van is now legal in Los Angeles and lot's of people are looking to make that switch, some of these folk are willing to steal a van to make themselves a home, better yet a home with wheels..
And I'll bet that they can then claim that it's their "Homestead" and throw up a colossal road block to ever getting your van back if they are caught having stolen it.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:33 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i didint know there was places it was ever illegal to live in a van.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:27 PM
MoeDaMaster
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Happens everywhere

Sadly you can't stop shady people from doing anything. Here in Europe it's mostly drugged people crushing windows to steal what's inside, so first rule: do not leave anything of value in the car (GPS, phone, bags that look like laptop cases).

The pros will steal your car no matter what, but that's limited to certain 4x4s and expensive cars (BMW X5, Land Cruisers).
These will be "exported" to Eastern Europe/Russia

And on certain cars (particularly BMW 3 and 5 series) organized groups steal headlights or interior parts. My colleague has a BMW 3 series and his steering wheel was stolen twice(!). These parts usually are sold on ebay or on "parts markets" in Poland

take a look, the police caught one of those crooks:

http://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht.../35235/3401705

(just look at the pictures, it's all in German)

Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Story was interesting enough to translate and share:
Location: Bremen Time: 10.08.16 The police were able to record a success in their investigation against a 28-year-old Bremen. He is said to have committed a variety of car breaks or car theft. After extensive police action, more than 35 headlights could be confiscated with xenon lights, steering wheels, interior equipment and navigation devices from predominantly BMW and Mercedes vehicles. The investigators came to the 28-year-old from Sebaldsbrück by a damaged car owner on the squabble, who found his special headlights on an Internet sales portal. Civil servants arranged a setup and came to the suspect so on the track. A judge of the District Court of Bremen immediately issued a search warrant. After the completion of their measures, the investigators were able to assign specific parts directly. The total damage to the confiscated items alone amounts to approximately 90,000 euros. The 28-year-old was arrested for the time being. The investigations continue. The suspect was already at the beginning of the year in the focus of the investigations of the Lower Saxon colleagues. The police seized a variety of xenon headlights from the BMW brand. For several years the number of cases has increased in the area of ​​vehicle theft in Bremen as well as in the entire Federal territory. The background for this development is likely to be the good sales potential of the vehicle parts via the Internet. The police therefore advises: Make it a thief as hard as possible! If you do not leave any valuables in the car, remove the brackets of your navigation device. Secure the vehicle and tire through rim locks and the installation of an alarm system. Highlight high-quality items, such as artificial DNA (kDNA). More information at Polizei Bremen Bremen. Aber sicher! - Startseite. In the case of suspicious situations or suspicious delivery vehicles which are suitable for the removal of parts, alert the police via emergency call 110.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:03 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by delgriffith
And I'll bet that they can then claim that it's their "Homestead" and throw up a colossal road block to ever getting your van back if they are caught having stolen it.
You'd lose that bet

Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 PM
KarstenP
Senior User
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
Insurance.

+GPS tracking device
+9mm and .223Rem. high speed long range wireless devices

in this particular order