1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

General Van related Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Tony1790
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Van related Question

Hello,

Nice to see a Van forum, I own a F250 Super duty truck and was considering getting the wife a Van. She currently drives a Jeep Cherokee that we bought to replace a Ford Windstar that I was leery of due to it's problematic reliability record.

So if you VAN owners wouldn't mind, please help me out with a couple of questions.

1. So If we/she goes back to driving a van would the new Freestar be a good bet or a E350 Super duty van be better??

2. Is the Full size van tippy?? The media claims that they are a serious roll over risk. I haven't had one as a daily driver.

3. What are some of the reliability concerns with the E350? Tranny's, engines ok??

4. What about manuverability?? My Long bed, Crew cab 4x4 pickup is a beast to manuver and takes planning to park, I don't need another like that.

5. What exactly is this Van conversion deal?? How much does it cost and how does that effect warranties, etc. Any info about conversions would be cool.

6. What about looks and how effective is the Full size package over say a minivan? As far as looks, what I'm saying is that I don't want to look like I drive a Government vehicle on a liberty run.

7. What trim level and seating level do you guys recommend? XLT with 8 pass, 7 pass or bigger. I have in the family me, wife, teenage son, younger son and the distinct possibility of a certain sister in law with her two small kids moving in with us (hence the consideration about vans). We also like to travel quite a bit, I drove from SoCal to Mt Rushmore over a long weekend just to say that I'd been there.

Thanks for any info that you can provide and feel free to post anything that would be helpful in deciding to get a Big Ford Van.

Tony in Alaska

Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Kaleo
Senior User
I'm a van guy so I can live with the draw back of driving and E-350. My wife won't drive it so I had to buy an Explorer. The van is great for travelling plenty of room and power to pull our 6000# travel trailer to the Kenai or up north. They are big so don't plan on parking in the front rows at the mall or getting into most parking garages, If you get 4x4 don't plan on fitting in any.

Do you really need a 1-ton? I also have an E-150. and it is a lot better to manuver. Any vehicle will rollover, but driven responsibly they are safe. Conversions are nice but prices start about $6000 and go up to $20,000+ on top of the price of the van. I don't think any of the ford dealers in anchorage stock conversions, except the Quigley 4x4's. makes it kinda tough to see exactly what options you want and get a feel for them.

Last edited by Kaleo; 11-27-2003 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 AM
94van
Posting Guru
Do you really need an E-350? Unless you're hauling lots of people, or doing some big towing, I would think an E-150 would suffice as a general use van.

I have a '94 E-150 MKIII Hi-Top conversion van. It handles great as far as I'm concerned. High winds are no more of a problem than any other vehicle, maybe a little bit more of a sway, but not anything to worry about. I've been to Florida several times in mine, and it handles great on the big roads. Any vehicle can be "Tippy". If you drive like you have a van and not a sports car, you will never have a problem. I surely can't drive it like my Mustang.

I always find a pull-thru parking spot, or back in if necessary. For some reason, people like to pull up behind you and stop when backing out of a parking space in a van, and if you're not careful, will hit them.

Maybe look around for a good 1-2 year old van, you can really save a bundle.

Old 11-27-2003, 03:32 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About the only reliability concern I would have is in the E40D transmission, but if you get one that is newer than a '95 then you'll be ok. That is when they got the bugs worked out. They are really reliable I've had my 92 since 2000 and put over 60k miles on it. With no major problems at all, the only things that have gone bad are sensors that are cheap to replace and easy to do.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:42 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
The extended length (11-15 pass.) vans can be tippy, though in my younger days I drove not so gently and I never tipped a E-350. I certainly put the 351W through it's paces.

If a van is loaded down, do not take downward sloping curves or exits at speeds close to the speed limit or over.

I think a dual rear wheel van would be solidly stable.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:55 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YOu have to remember who was doing the tests. It was Dateline (the same people that rigged the chevy trucks with dynomite so they'd explode on impact).

Old 11-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
A couple of winters ago I was late for an appointment,so I was going about 40 down a shortcut country road. I hit a patch of ice that sent me sliding down the road sideways at 40 mph. To my surprise, when I hit dry road going sideways, it just screeched to a stop. After all the talk about tip overs, I was sure it would, but it didn't.
I think they turn hard one way, and hard the other, so the momentum from recovering from the initial turn helps tip them over. I feel pretty safe in mine, and it's a high top, not sure what to make of the tv shows. I think they ruined the Samurai, and trooper's sales because of the same stunt. I think a van would tip over easier than a porshe, but most people wouldn't drive them the same either.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 AM
rawb
New User
I can only help with some of your questions.

1) I have never had a problem with rolling over or tipping and I drive my E350 extended van like a sports car. It's very windy where I live and I drive over a lot of large overpasses and bridges. Never a problem. Just don't go above 75mph over a long bridge when the cross winds are above 25mph. It gets a little squirrly. Put all terrain tires on ASAP. They greatly help with rain and everyday traction.

2) I had a 99 F350 crew cab and it was about the same for parking. The van is a little easier due to the front tire placement. Parking sometimes sux but I back into most parking spots 99% of the time. Pull up at an angle so you can see that no goofball gets behind you. It's safer when you go to leave and the van is easier to negotiate backwards when parking. People don't like to be behind a van except for when you try to park. I don't get it. Put 3" blind spot mirrors on your door mirrors. Sometimes you just have to walk. E350's don't like parking garages, especially if you get a high top.

3) As far as room goes, I have 4 captain chairs and a 6' long by 5' wide bed in the back of the van. I have enough room for 4 big guys to sprawl out in the back of the van with their feet up on two coolers, a 19" TV and two people up front. You could never get close to that in a minivan. Plenty of room for luggage, bags, tools, camping gear, etc. underneath the bed.

4) As far as tranny and engine, I have a PSD with over 100,000 miles. I carry 5-6 guys and all their junk and pull a 4500# trailer. I can easily do 75 down the highway and get about 16-19MPG. I've gone from Texas to Seattle to LA to Kentucky to Chicago to Yellowstone to Las Vegas to Reno, etc....etc... and only had problems in the desert in the middle of summer when the outside temp was above 95. The PSD doesn't like to go fast or up hills in the extreme heat of the desert. (Not much desert in Alaska.) Keep it under 65MPH. I use to do this in a Chevy G20 and I went through 1 motor, 6 transmissions, 1 radiator and countless shocks.

Just decide on how much room you need and add 20% (cuz you never have enough). The E350 extended is not for everybody. And yes it does look like a government vehicle. The bay window helps a little. It makes my wife happy when the movie stops.

Hope this helps, it is a beast.

Rob

Old 12-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Tony1790
Senior User
Thanks for the replies, I'm not convinced one way or the other yet on which is the best van for the wife (full sized or mini). She doesn't know yet either, she even briefly mentioned the Excursion as is has 9 pass seating, but that thing is really expensive.

Anyway, I hope that some others will post and I will post what we decide to get once we figure it out.

Thanks again,

Tony in Alaska

Old 12-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Kaleo
Senior User
I don't know where abouts you live, but it may be best to just go and have the wife test drive a few of the rigs she is considering. I you live in the Mat-Su or Anch I would check out Nye in wasilla. They seem to have a better selection of vans there, even had about 6 4x4 passenger vans. I would also recommend talking to at least one of the fleet sales guys about the full-size vans, I would think they know more about the vans they the normal sales people. Now is a good time to test out handling and control, the roads are SLICK! today.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:03 PM
LHO39
New User
Idle comments

1. I think most of the roll over accidents happen when the big 15 passenger vans are carrying 15 big passengers. This makes them top heavy.

2. Why a E350. I agree on the E150. Or even better ask your wife what she wants to drive. My choice for the sweetest "old fart" (me) ride right now is the Toyota Highlander. For more seating than five the Honda Pilot looks sweet.

3. Yes. I have a couple Ford vans and I had a E350 24 foot bus. That had some room.

Larry

Old 12-06-2003, 01:11 PM
rawb
New User
I have a buddy who runs a limo service and has a couple diesel Excursions. They are nice. They drive and handle exactly like a F350 Crew Cab and are much quiter on the inside than a van. The draw back would be you can't pick up 4x8 sheets of plywood in an Excursion. I heard Ford has discontinued them. You might be able to find last years model and save a few bucks and make up the difference. And follow Kaleo's suggestion of talking to fleet sales. They are much more helpful and more interested in turning product than nickle and diming you to death.

Rob

Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
snotwilim
Junior User
Seems the Explorers were more of a flipover problem than the E series. True, big vans might get tippy but you have to really try to flip them or just be stoned out of your gord to send one tumbling. Mine has the unfinished interior and looking at the body reinforcements, I'd probably come up singing after a rollover.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:32 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
My husband's 83 E150/302 AOD is a "Deluxe" camper series. It will carry our six member family and a couple of friends with room to spare.

But if this is any help, here is a woman's point of view to help your wife.

I am a 53 year old woman and still a newbie driving my older 82 E100 full size former delivery van (Inline Six/300). Only started taking it out on longer trips since getting six months ago as it has been needing some TLC. But have been driving shorter jaunts to get used to it's "feel".

This is my first van after only driving cars for all my driving life. No, I do not drive his van. That's HIS baby an is uneasy if he is not driving. So decided to get one of my own. So was unsure just how well it would handle on our rural roads, in winds and manuvoering in general. Most cars I have driven have been midsize to large. Most recently a 79 Cordoba. My son drives a 94 Tempo riding in it, feels like a small fighter "cockpit" in comparison. So I was not disoriented and used to "wide spaces" from changing over from car to Van than someone coming from a compact "cockpit" to the "wide open spaces" of a full size van.

Found it does handle rather well even with crosswinds although it's power steering took some getting used to. Just "different" compared to my 79 Cordoba. It is driving a truck afterall and getting used to the shorter steering base.

Because I am sitting on top of the wheels, it manuovers more easily I found out. Just have to remember I have length "back there" but also I do not have a "long nose that goes before" while turning. There is more clearance up front. Took some time practicing righthand turns. It was strange not having to look at a rear view mirror at first and learning to use the "fisheye". The bay window is helpful and found other methods useful to "see" what is happening when backing out. (other truck windows or store windows). My van only has the bay window and rear windows, so there are blindspots to consider. Yes, you do want to back out much slower than in a car or truck when in a parking lot. However, in my limited experience, people seem more careful around a van than with a car while walking.

Best of all I have a better view of the road out front and sitting high enough to see everything. Most cars keep their distance better from me while driving the van. But then I noticed the smaller compacts kept their distance when I drove the larger Cordoba too. However the big rigs do not seem to try crawling up on your butt than if you were driving a car. At least that is what it seems like.

I have two captain's chairs and nothing behind right now as all it hauled was water containers originally. The chairs were put in later by some friends who were going to convert it into a camper van. Believe me, there is plenty of space in these fullsize vans to turn it into anything you may want. This is part of the fun I am looking at with my big empty "box".

Converting it into something I want.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony1790
Hello,

1. So If we/she goes back to driving a van would the new Freestar be a good bet or a E350 Super duty van be better??

2. Is the Full size van tippy?? The media claims that they are a serious roll over risk. I haven't had one as a daily driver.

3. What are some of the reliability concerns with the E350? Tranny's, engines ok??

4. What about manuverability?? My Long bed, Crew cab 4x4 pickup is a beast to manuver and takes planning to park, I don't need another like that.

5. What exactly is this Van conversion deal?? How much does it cost and how does that effect warranties, etc. Any info about conversions would be cool.

6. What about looks and how effective is the Full size package over say a minivan? As far as looks, what I'm saying is that I don't want to look like I drive a Government vehicle on a liberty run.

7. What trim level and seating level do you guys recommend? XLT with 8 pass, 7 pass or bigger. I have in the family me, wife, teenage son, younger son and the distinct possibility of a certain sister in law with her two small kids moving in with us (hence the consideration about vans). We also like to travel quite a bit, I drove from SoCal to Mt Rushmore over a long weekend just to say that I'd been there.

Thanks for any info that you can provide and feel free to post anything that would be helpful in deciding to get a Big Ford Van.

Tony in Alaska
1) The Freestar is pretty much the same as a Winstar. Its a FWD minivan. Compare one to an E150/350 and you will realize the difference. I have had both minivans and full size vans. Once I had my first Clubwagon, I never wanted another minivan.

2) No more tippy than a truck. The rollover issue is on a fully loaded E350 extended van. But then _any_ heavily loaded vehicle has the same problems.

3) The E150/350s are about as reliable a vehicle as you can buy these days. I have had 3 different E series vans since '92 and they have all been the most reliable of any vehicles I owned. My current E150 is over 230,000 miles and still going strong.

4) For a family hauler I would go for a standard box E150. These are about the same size and as manuverable as a standard sized pickup. I typically don't drive mine daily but when I do its not a problem. I did have an F350 supercab dually and it was a much bigger pain to park than my E150.

5) What kind of conversion? Do you mean a 4x4 conversion? (I noted you are in Alaska) Or do you mean a custom interior or high top (Mark III, Centurion, LA Conversions, etc...). I was assuming you meant a 4x4. Quigley makes a good 4x4 conversion which can be bought through your Ford dealer and comes with a full warranty. They are very good/high quality conversions.

6) The Clubwagon XLTs or Chateu are nice looking vans. Mine is an XLT, two tone (Crimson over silver), with alloy wheels. Some of the better conversions are also pretty stylish but I am not a fan of the cheapie fiberglass add on fender flares and skirts.

7) I would for sure go with either an XLT or Chateu. My current XLT is an 8 passenger. It has two benches behind the front captains and is quite efficient. Taking out the front bench (takes about 5 minutes) makes a 4/5 passenger with acres of room. As a people hauler I liked my '96 Chateu best. It had 4 very nice captains chairs with a 3 passenger bench in the back. 4 adults and three kids was a breeze and very comfortable even for long distances. If you are only hauling people you really don't need the 350 (1 ton) van. An E150 in either 7 or 8 passenger config would work just fine. I would recommend finding a dealer that has them in stock and looking at both configs to determine which you would prefer.

Don't know what else to tell you. Any more questions just ask.

Good Luck,
Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Quick Reply: General Van related Question