6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Does the 6.7's reliability really ruin the fun?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the 6.7's reliability really ruin the fun?

I'm still doing my research on which engine to get in my 2017 F350. I drive almost 20,000 miles a year, with only 2000 of those miles towing. My camper will be around 15,000 lbs, within the tow ratings of both a 6.2 (with a 4.30 rear) and the 6.7.

I have analyzed (way over analyzed) the cost across 12 years (240,000 miles) of ownership, and have concluded that the cost is roughly the same, with the 6.7 probably being a little cheaper. With this, it comes down to which one is more enjoyable. Reliability is a big part of how much I enjoy a truck - the "fun factor."

As far as enjoyability, I see the following benefits for the 6.7:
1. Much more low end torque - nicer for towing and general driving. I have a 5.4 now, and really don't like the high revs pulling a camper.
2. More total power - nicer for pulling 23,000 GCVW up mountains

Benefits for the 6.2
1. More reliable (but how much???)
2. Easier to find fuel

The main variable that will swing my decision is reliability. Does anyone have real statistical data on this? I hear on the 6.7 forums, "My truck has never broken down." On the 6.2 forums I hear "My 6.2 brings my friends with broken 6.7 back home." If the 6.7 had the same (or better) reliability, it would be a no brainer for me. If it spends weeks in the shop, I'd rather deal with the anemic low end of the 6.2.

Does anyone have reliability stats for the 6.2 vs the 6.7? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
If your can live with a 6.2L, sounds like the perfect solution for the reasons you have stated. Nothing wrong with owning one.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Nothing wrong with either. Mine has (6.7) has been very good. only one sensor replaced...and that was no hurry.

biggest concern is your daily driving. If it is short city type commutes then the gas motor is the way to go.

Hwy stuff then the 6.7 is the way to go.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just think that the possibility of a bad part is higher with the diesel, the actual number of components and overall complexity of the engine lends itself to being more problematic if there were ever a part operating out of spec. You don't get over 400/800 with near zero emissions and 20% or more mpg than a big gas engine easily.

My 2015 has 82,000 miles on it now and it's never been in the shop. I had some issues with my 2008 and 2011 trucks but this one has been perfect. The rear seat heaters blow fuses but otherwise, good to go.

By the time you get a 2017 I should be around 120,000 and it would be 50% of your goal, I'll let you know how it goes. All my miles are towing 8k-16k, depending on the work I'm doing.

6.2 is great too and would serve you well for the limited long distance towing you'd do. We abused a 6.2 up to around 140,000 and it never complained.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:09 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My commute is 22 miles each way, so either engine will have time to warm up. Hopefully that is enough distance for a regen as well. On-demand regen would be nice so I could kick off a regen a couple of miles into my commute when needed.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
either will work with that commute. Choose your poison.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Once you tow and go diesel it's really really hard to go back... In 2004 I started owning diesel trucks and for the first couple of years 50% of the stations had diesel. Now it's closer to 80%... Other than one trip I took in 2004 I can't remember ever getting off an interstate ramp for a fuel station and NOT finding diesel and even then I drove 1 mile down the road and found one. The last issue that has since been totally resolved. It was most recently finding DEF and now that is everywhere too. And you only need 1 gal per 800 - 1200 miles the truck has 5.5 gal on board. Anyone that says diesel is hard to find isn't looking for it. Not all stations put that they have diesel on the sign out front.

It's a tough choice as I am not saying the 6.2 is a bad motor at all. I've driven them in my previous employer's vehicles - but I wouldn't own one. And I don't drive all that much. What's cheapest for me would be to own a small eco car and when I needed it rent a truck and deal with renting the lowest possible trim level vehicle in existence, but it would work. I"d rather be comfortable.

I have never put more than 50k miles on my vehicles as I trade out often and I don't drive all that much, so it's hard for me to give you reliability numbers. Other than my 6.0s never made it to 10k miles without major repairs. I like always being in at least an extended warranty. Before that's up I'm out. I can't handle surprise repairs in anything. I'd rather just pick a payment amount I can live with and go from there. It isn't the cheapest way to run a vehicle, but I'm not into the cheapest.

So far my 2015 has been really good, an occasional gremlin popped up but a restart fixed it and they haven't been back. Only dealer trip in the past 18 months and 8.6k miles was for an oil change and plugging tires. Our EREV car and gas cars have had more issue than my diesel truck has. And one of them only has 2k miles on it.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,456 Likes on 900 Posts
Pulling 15k really puts you into diesel territory and it will pull that load while putting a smile on your face.

My '12 6.7 PSD is almost 4years old with 88k miles and the only trip to the shop was to have a emission recall flash performed which took about 2 hours and I just waited on it.

This '12 truck has been by far my best truck to date and if pulling any load over 10k lbs I wouldn't even consider the anemic 6.2 gasser. There's a reason that almost all Super Duty's on the dealer lots have diesels under the hood.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
The 6.7 had pulled Ford's diesel reputation out of gutter in my opinion.

The 6.2s are good engines. They are thirsty though. That is all we run at work in our crew trucks. You really have to wind em up to get a decent trailer moving.

If you are waiting on the 17s, I would go with the 6.7. I think everyone is going to really enjoy the upgraded capacity of the trucks and 6.7.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about a gasser this time, but I pulled our company trailer (about10k) with a company 6.o chevy gasser that my old 7.3 could pull without a sweat. I guess you have to get used to flooring it all the time.

Anyway the 6.7 I barely crack the throttle. It's the torque curve baby!!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I have analyzed (way over analyzed) the cost across 12 years (240,000 miles) of ownership, and have concluded that the cost is roughly the same, with the 6.7 probably being a little cheaper.
I did the same thing, because I did seriously consider getting a 6.2L. But for what my wife and I use the truck for, a diesel was the logical choice.

The factors you want to consider of course are the cost of ownership, what you can plant to recoup for resale, consider how the truck will be driven, what work it will be doing, and last.... do you enjoy what you drive.

If at the end of all those considerations you're still stuck on which way to go, then my recommendation is to test drive both. If possible, bring a trailer with some weight on it, and see if the dealership will let you do a quick side-by-side towing comparison. Maybe that will better help you decide if towing and carrying weight is going to be a factor. Some people can live with a higher revving engine when towing, for others it drives them crazy and leads to buyers remorse. On the flip side, some people love the power of the diesel, and others hate the maintenance requirements and the intricacies of owning a modern emissions controlled diesel, leading to buyers remorse.

Originally Posted by 2009kr
Does anyone have reliability stats for the 6.2 vs the 6.7? Thanks!
That you probably won't find, but both motors have been pretty reliable. Sure, every engine ever made by any manufacturer can be subject to flaws, problems, etc. But the overall reliability goes to those with less common issues, and both the 6.2 and 6.7 have relatively few common issues.

Maintenance is key. Follow the owner's manual and what the truck tells you. Doing that will give you the best overall chance of having a reliable truck that you will enjoy for years. I'm biased with my 6.7L, but I do very much enjoy it and I'm glad I got it.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:22 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Pulling 15k really puts you into diesel territory and it will pull that load while putting a smile on your face.

My '12 6.7 PSD is almost 4years old with 88k miles and the only trip to the shop was to have a emission recall flash performed which took about 2 hours and I just waited on it.

This '12 truck has been by far my best truck to date and if pulling any load over 10k lbs I wouldn't even consider the anemic 6.2 gasser. There's a reason that almost all Super Duty's on the dealer lots have diesels under the hood.
"anemic"....not how I would describe it. I have owned both. Really it's simple. The 6.7 out preforms the 6.2 at the cost of more risk. You have a bigger smile while towing with the 6.7 until/if something ever goes wrong. I believe the 6.7 is the most reliable diesel you can get today.

I too put the towing threshold in the 10-12k range before I would consider the diesel again. For that reason, my next toyhauler will be about 10k loaded. (I wouldn't want bigger anyway for what I do and where I go)

Where I live, the loggers, farmers and fleets have been switching over to gas motors for greater reliability and lower operating cost. Most of the 6.7's on my local lot are also Lariats and set up to cater to the plush $buyer$. There's a reason the dealer inventory for XL's is always full of 6.2's.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:14 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Having towed a 5,000 lb trailer with a 2003 Tundra (awful at 8 mpg), a 10K fifth wheel with an F150 Ecoboost (10 mpg) and now an F350 Powerstroke (12.5 mpg), I never want to tow without turbos again.
The PSD is great for towing.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009kr - You have read my mind, I have been pondering the exact same issue for a few months now, to the point of frustration. The only difference is that my trailer only weights 6500lbs. (I know what people will say, go with a F150 for that weight, been there done that, I want a F250 for a more stable platform to tow with for my retirement truck.) It will only get used a few days a week for short commutes of about 25 miles round trip over the next four years with about 5-6 longer vacation pulls over the year until I retire and then its traveling the country, so I fall into both categories - short trips gas mode vrs long distance towing diesel mode. The deciding issue to me will be the dependability of the engine. I am convinced of the gas dependability due to putting 100,000's of trouble free miles over the years on Ford gas motors. I have read too many stories of 6.7 problems on this site such HPFP failures not covered by Ford, Turbo issues, etc... So I am stuck, I would really like my last truck to be the Powerstroke I have wanted for the last 20 years, but am admittedly paranoid about buying a potential problem truck. What to do, what to do!!!!!!! I will be following this thread closely hoping for some good advise.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
When your getting near retirement (doing that) plan on the max towing you might do. We did and glad we did when we got the 15.
We have had our 04 since new and have had only one problem after warranty period. We have 205K on the clock and it still runs strong. Only problem is Michigan cancer is getting to it. Change oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k

Quick Reply: Does the 6.7's reliability really ruin the fun?