Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:50 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?

Hi all,
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our travel trailer from a wimpy 2004 Durango and are considering an Excursion or a SD truck. I find myself going around and around on what we should buy. Our budget is around 10-15K, so I realize we are looking at an older vehicle. There is a nice looking 2004 Excursion for sale near us with around 124K miles but I am reluctant to buy a vehicle that is no longer in production. I tell myself there is a good reason they don't make them anymore. Will this be another regret like the Durango?

Here's our list of wants/needs.
Tow at least 8200 lbs, and hopefully more so we can upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future.
Durability. We can't afford to purchase another vehicle in the near future so it must last.
Handle well in snow. We will primarily drive it in the summer, but need it for around town in the winter.
Easy for dogs to get in/out of. We have 3 boxers who are getting on in years and that's why an SUV is more desirable over a truck. Although a truck with a cap and slide open window would probably work.

Ugh, looking over this list, and I could see how there could be arguments for either type vehicle. I guess what i am asking is, if we buy a 10+ year old Excursion, are we asking for trouble? Is there something we need to know about them? We didn't do our homework before buying the Durango and I really don't want to repeat that mistake.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it I'll be the first to say it, the Excursion is 100% NOT a Durango. That thing although useful in some ways is like comparing a Plymouth Prowler to a Mustang Cobra, sure they can both be fast but one is just made to look fast. You're talking about going from what Dodge made to put in their line-up so they could say they made an SUV to what Ford ADDED to their already impressive SUV line-up. Ford knew/knows what their doing and you won't be disappointed

Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
That's what I was afraid of. Something I forgot to mention is it's a V-10, in case it makes a difference.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Dooooo it!!

Ten characters..

We have loved ours!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:19 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
post up your current pros and cons list for the excursion and maybe we can help you quantify some of those items as well as add some others to both sides of the ledger.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by karrun
Hi all,
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our travel trailer from a wimpy 2004 Durango and are considering an Excursion or a SD truck. I find myself going around and around on what we should buy. Our budget is around 10-15K, so I realize we are looking at an older vehicle.

10-15k can find you a very nice V10 with lots of money left over for some good upgrades such as updated springs. Strong budget.

There is a nice looking 2004 Excursion for sale near us with around 124K miles but I am reluctant to buy a vehicle that is no longer in production. I tell myself there is a good reason they don't make them anymore.

Yes, Ford needed to cut back on emissions and gas prices skyrocketed leading to poor sales. There was negative media buzz that turned people off, but the truck itself is very stout - it was not discontinued due to any big problems or faults with the vehicle itself.

Will this be another regret like the Durango?

Here's our list of wants/needs.

Tow at least 8200 lbs, and hopefully more so we can upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future.

No fifth wheel in the future if you get an Excursion, but there are certainly members on here with giant TTs and their Excursions pull them well. WE3Zs would be a good guy to talk to about that, especially with regards to the V10.

Durability. We can't afford to purchase another vehicle in the near future so it must last.

Make sure it is rust free and the proper maintenance has been done and you will be all set. In terms of drivetrain and other components the Excursion shares the same stuff as similar year superduties so there is no shortage of parts for that stuff.

Handle well in snow. We will primarily drive it in the summer, but need it for around town in the winter.

Handles as well or better than any 4x4 I've ever driven in the winter. Very heavy vehicle, so it has good traction but at the same time does not stop on a dime if in poor conditions

Easy for dogs to get in/out of. We have 3 boxers who are getting on in years and that's why an SUV is more desirable over a truck. Although a truck with a cap and slide open window would probably work.

My dogs have no problem getting in and out, and they certainly appreciate the A/C in the back in the summer.

Ugh, looking over this list, and I could see how there could be arguments for either type vehicle. I guess what i am asking is, if we buy a 10+ year old Excursion, are we asking for trouble?
No more trouble than any other 10 year old vehicle - its all in the prepurchase inspection. Lots of help in here for when you do run into issues though.

Is there something we need to know about them?

We enjoy them enough to have a very active forum, there must be something that keeps us around

We didn't do our homework before buying the Durango and I really don't want to repeat that mistake.

As was mentioned an Excursion and Durango are completely different beasts. 3/4 ton Excursion (different springs than F250 but other than that share mostly same attributes) compared to the ~1/2 ton Durango.
Comments in quote in red. Welcome to the forum.

Nate

Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Just get the Excursion. You wont be sorry. I traded (sort of) a 2011 SD for mine. Wouldnt go back. These are great trucks. I tow with mine, 8-10,000 lbs., other than adding air bags to the rear, no issues.

Search, mod, pics - repeat!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
My wife was reluctant to get an X at first, until she drove it. Now she loves it. We looked for a year and a half to find THE one, being very picky, because it has to last (maybe 20 years?).
Most folks you'll talk to are looking for mega-miles out of their X, because historically, they do last! Being built on the F250 chassis, most everything is over-built for normal use.
If you do get one, you've got a great family here to get help from...
And the X is a great dog vehicle!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
There are some great buying tips (what to look for, etc) in the tech folders at the top of the page!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Wow, thanks fro all the great feedback! This is really giving us something to chew on.

Our biggest fear is that there were major mechanical/engine issues with them like the 2nd gen Durango that we have and we are looking at something like a blown engine or the like in the near future. We'd love to have this car last 5-10 years.

So I guess the main thing is to look it over carefully and check maintenance records. The cursory look we took at it so far doesn't show any rust. We have a great mechanic that would check it for us, so if the owner is agreeable that sounds like the way to go.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Where are you located?

Old 03-01-2016, 10:38 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Where are you located?
About 60 miles west of Chicago

Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The V-10 is a stout engine. I have one in my 2000 SD pickup and it has over 210K miles. I think it is one of the best gas engines out there. If you are mechanically inclined I think the Excursion is a pretty easy vehicle to work on. There is a ton of help on this forum don't be afraid to ask for help.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:15 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, I am on my second Ex. They have both been 6.0s. The first I sold because I thought I knew better and did not need it in my life. About four years later, the second and our current Ex entered our lives.

We could not imagine not having this rig. Yes I have put a ton of cash into it, but I expect to have it for many, many years to come.

I personally have no history with the V10, but there have been many good things (besides the fuel milage) said about it here.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
So, I am on my second Ex. They have both been 6.0s. The first I sold because I thought I knew better and did not need it in my life. About four years later, the second and our current Ex entered our lives.

We could not imagine not having this rig. Yes I have put a ton of cash into it, but I expect to have it for many, many years to come.

I personally have no history with the V10, but there have been many good things (besides the fuel milage) said about it here.

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks. So curious, is the ton of money you put into it by choice or necessity?

Quick Reply: Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?