Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 AM
hest_c
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, wanted to add some additional questions to the list as we too are looking to upgrade our current tow vehicle. Currently pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer (converted for camping) with a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L. Rated to pull 6500#'s but really struggles in the mountains in CO. Was looking at some Suburbans and Excursions. Would love to know what kind of mpg's people are getting with and without towing, if anyone has experience towing in the mountains with either the v8 or v10 and if anyone has done any tuners on their gas engine and how successful that was for boosting mpgs/towing too.

This isn't a DD but will get used for more than just towing so I don't want something that gets horrible mpg's overall, but I've been living with 14 average in my Jeep so any improvements on that will be welcome. Thanks for any input!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:32 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Being out of production is really a non-issue since the Excursion is basically a Super Duty pickup, which are a dime a dozen. There are some Excursion only parts but nothing more then cosmetic really.

I'm on my 3rd V10 Excursion, Love them to death. The V10 is as reliable as the sunrise. Mine just rolled 140K and I take it on summer road trips to the middle of no where with no concern about being left stranded. I'd drive it to Florida right now without a worry.

for the MPG question, here is a good estimate with my experience with V10's at least.

Unloaded 8-10MPG mpg city 11-14MPG highway

Towing is a good solid 8-9 MPG with my 20' travel trailer loaded down.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Since we're all talking about how many we've had... I'm on my second now lol. HarleyJCS has 3 right now and KrazeeMatt (who has probably the best/fastest 7.3) is currently looking for a second Excursion for his growing family in a 6.0 IIRC!

Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by karrun
Hi all,
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our travel trailer from a wimpy 2004 Durango and are considering an Excursion or a SD truck. I find myself going around and around on what we should buy. Our budget is around 10-15K, so I realize we are looking at an older vehicle. There is a nice looking 2004 Excursion for sale near us with around 124K miles but I am reluctant to buy a vehicle that is no longer in production. I tell myself there is a good reason they don't make them anymore. Will this be another regret like the Durango?
As a new(er) Excursion owner but previous Ford truck owner, my experience is probably somewhat biased, but I will go to my grave believing that Ford makes a much better truck than Dodge does. I can guarantee you that if you pick a nice truck that's been well taken care of by one or two owners, you will have a much more reliable vehicle.

Here's our list of wants/needs.
Tow at least 8200 lbs, and hopefully more so we can upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future.
I tow a large travel trailer with mine, and there are some things you will need to do to the suspension before it's safe to tow that much weight with it. Obviously a 5th wheel is out of the question with an Excursion, and 5th wheel plans tend to be a lot roomier. So consider carefully what your future plans are.

One thing that drew me to the Ex is that they tend to be in much better shape than their pickup truck counterparts. Most superduties that I looked at that were in my price range (which was the same as yours) were somewhere between beat to death and halfway there. I found that Exs at similar price points were in much better shape, and Exs were almost always in much better shape overall. Trucks are worked hard and often abused. Exs are family-movers and often come with a lot more in the creature comfort department. There's a big difference in how they're both equipped and treated, it seems.

The other advantage that the Ex has is that you can seat 5 comfortably or 8 somewhat comfortably and still have a lot of space for gear. With a pickup and a 5th wheel you're much more limited. The Ex also has a much more secure rear storage area than even a pickup with a cap on it.

Durability. We can't afford to purchase another vehicle in the near future so it must last.
You literally cannot go wrong with a well-maintained superduty or Ex. They are known for being extremely solid and reliable.

Handle well in snow. We will primarily drive it in the summer, but need it for around town in the winter.
They are great in the snow as far as traction (4x4 obviously), but the only downside is the same one you get with anything capable of towing a big RV - they are very heavy and require a LOT more room to stop in slippery conditions.

Easy for dogs to get in/out of. We have 3 boxers who are getting on in years and that's why an SUV is more desirable over a truck. Although a truck with a cap and slide open window would probably work.
Keep the dogs warm, dry and safe in the Ex. Plenty of room for them in the back if you don't have it loaded down with gear.

Ugh, looking over this list, and I could see how there could be arguments for either type vehicle. I guess what i am asking is, if we buy a 10+ year old Excursion, are we asking for trouble? Is there something we need to know about them? We didn't do our homework before buying the Durango and I really don't want to repeat that mistake.
The good news is that you're doing your homework now, and if you had the opportunity to ask me I would have told you that the Dodge is of cheap build quality, poorly engineered, and will break down often. Whatever Ford truck you buy - again, well-maintained by 1 or 2 owners and obviously well taken care of - will last a very long time and rarely spend time in the shop.

Have you given any thought to gas vs. diesel? *runs away and hides*

Old 03-01-2016, 01:07 PM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by andym
As a new(er) Excursion owner but previous Ford truck owner, my experience is probably somewhat biased, but I will go to my grave believing that Ford makes a much better truck than Dodge does. I can guarantee you that if you pick a nice truck that's been well taken care of by one or two owners, you will have a much more reliable vehicle.

I tow a large travel trailer with mine, and there are some things you will need to do to the suspension before it's safe to tow that much weight with it. Obviously a 5th wheel is out of the question with an Excursion, and 5th wheel plans tend to be a lot roomier. So consider carefully what your future plans are.

One thing that drew me to the Ex is that they tend to be in much better shape than their pickup truck counterparts. Most superduties that I looked at that were in my price range (which was the same as yours) were somewhere between beat to death and halfway there. I found that Exs at similar price points were in much better shape, and Exs were almost always in much better shape overall. Trucks are worked hard and often abused. Exs are family-movers and often come with a lot more in the creature comfort department. There's a big difference in how they're both equipped and treated, it seems.

The other advantage that the Ex has is that you can seat 5 comfortably or 8 somewhat comfortably and still have a lot of space for gear. With a pickup and a 5th wheel you're much more limited. The Ex also has a much more secure rear storage area than even a pickup with a cap on it.

You literally cannot go wrong with a well-maintained superduty or Ex. They are known for being extremely solid and reliable.

They are great in the snow as far as traction (4x4 obviously), but the only downside is the same one you get with anything capable of towing a big RV - they are very heavy and require a LOT more room to stop in slippery conditions.

Keep the dogs warm, dry and safe in the Ex. Plenty of room for them in the back if you don't have it loaded down with gear.

The good news is that you're doing your homework now, and if you had the opportunity to ask me I would have told you that the Dodge is of cheap build quality, poorly engineered, and will break down often. Whatever Ford truck you buy - again, well-maintained by 1 or 2 owners and obviously well taken care of - will last a very long time and rarely spend time in the shop.

Have you given any thought to gas vs. diesel? *runs away and hides*

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. A lot of good info there. As far as diesel, I don't see too many Excursions as it is out there, so wasn't really considering the diesel. I guess you get better towing capacity, and maybe a little bump in the fuel economy (with a higher ppg, of course). Anything I am missing?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our travel trailer from a wimpy 2004 Durango and are considering an Excursion or a SD truck. I find myself going around and around on what we should buy. Our budget is around 10-15K, so I realize we are looking at an older vehicle. There is a nice looking 2004 Excursion for sale near us with around 124K miles but I am reluctant to buy a vehicle that is no longer in production. I tell myself there is a good reason they don't make them anymore. Will this be another regret like the Durango?

Here's our list of wants/needs.
Tow at least 8200 lbs, and hopefully more so we can upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future.
Durability. We can't afford to purchase another vehicle in the near future so it must last.
Handle well in snow. We will primarily drive it in the summer, but need it for around town in the winter.
Easy for dogs to get in/out of. We have 3 boxers who are getting on in years and that's why an SUV is more desirable over a truck. Although a truck with a cap and slide open window would probably work.

Ugh, looking over this list, and I could see how there could be arguments for either type vehicle. I guess what i am asking is, if we buy a 10+ year old Excursion, are we asking for trouble? Is there something we need to know about them? We didn't do our homework before buying the Durango and I really don't want to repeat that mistake.
Will not tow a 5th wheel easily.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:33 PM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Will not tow a 5th wheel easily.
Yes, not without a lot of modding LOL

Old 03-01-2016, 01:43 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Thanks. So curious, is the ton of money you put into it by choice or necessity?
By choice, for fun stuff, and for stuff to shore up the known issues with the 6.0

Please be aware of the following:

Owning one of these can become an expensive habit.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
I just bought my 2002 Excursion Limited 7.3l diesel ($6000) and love it so far. I tested the first tank of driving around in town and urban roads and got 17 mpg driving normally. I have a trip coming up this weekend and will test the highway mpg then. I am the fourth owner and have had to do very little in the way of catch up maintenance. No leaks, starts right up, everything works like it should (now). I needed new tires, brakes and suspension good, serviced all filters/fluids. I bought an original radio/CD player to replace the cheap after market one (I like stock for the most part), replaced the interior rear view mirror and the compartment doors in the overhead console. The steering gear needs adjusted/replaced. Other than those few things it seems I will get my moneys worth out of it. $6k for a $42.5k original price vehicle seems like a steal to me. Lots of parts around if needed.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
I own a Durango and an Excursion. I once thought the 5.9L Magnum engine Dodge was powerful but was just unable to handle heavy loads. When I got the Excursion I realized how much of a wimp the Durango is. It has been a good SUV for 16 years, the paint is now flaking and my teenager drives it and occasionally it pulls the utility trailer but I will never go back to a smaller SUV for towing now that I have an Ex.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:54 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, not without a lot of modding LOL
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...excursion.html

Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
And the X is a great dog vehicle!
LOL I have the identical photo but cant put my hands on it...

ours has also hauled.... cider barrels, engines, spare biodiesel on trip to TX, etc.

Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
gwh1bass
Senior User
Originally Posted by lightflyer
I just bought my 2002 Excursion Limited 7.3l diesel ($6000) and love it so far. I tested the first tank of driving around in town and urban roads and got 17 mpg driving normally. I have a trip coming up this weekend and will test the highway mpg then. I am the fourth owner and have had to do very little in the way of catch up maintenance. No leaks, starts right up, everything works like it should (now). I needed new tires, brakes and suspension good, serviced all filters/fluids. I bought an original radio/CD player to replace the cheap after market one (I like stock for the most part), replaced the interior rear view mirror and the compartment doors in the overhead console. The steering gear needs adjusted/replaced. Other than those few things it seems I will get my moneys worth out of it. $6k for a $42.5k original price vehicle seems like a steal to me. Lots of parts around if needed.

That looks like a real nice $6k vehicle!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:22 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
Thanks! Big difference between this and my other car. 2003 VW Beetle diesel ($1200 purchase price plus $3k to rebuild engine).

Tows small trailers well too!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 PM
rockhounds4x4
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hest_c
Hello everyone, wanted to add some additional questions to the list as we too are looking to upgrade our current tow vehicle. Currently pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer (converted for camping) with a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L. Rated to pull 6500#'s but really struggles in the mountains in CO. Was looking at some Suburbans and Excursions. Would love to know what kind of mpg's people are getting with and without towing, if anyone has experience towing in the mountains with either the v8 or v10 and if anyone has done any tuners on their gas engine and how successful that was for boosting mpgs/towing too.

This isn't a DD but will get used for more than just towing so I don't want something that gets horrible mpg's overall, but I've been living with 14 average in my Jeep so any improvements on that will be welcome. Thanks for any input!

I also live in the mountain of Colorado, I can tell you this. I just sold my 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban, loaded, 4.1 gears, small lift, 285/75/16 tires, low miles etc. etc. etc. That was without a doubt the biggest turd on the planet, totally gutless in the hills even empty it was 2nd gear to climb a lot of passes an maintain 50-55, we were towing our 24 ft pontoon with it. I never hated a truck more than the suburban, everything rattled, the second row passenger seat rattled so bad i finally pulled the leather off of it and welded the frame, it would drive you bananas. 13 mpg on a good day hand calculated. gutless on anything over 70 mph when loaded with the family and luggage, last trip out to Omaha I was 5 mph under the speed limit, getting 12-13 and needing 3rd on even the slightest grade.

The chevy was the worst vehicle for a snow storm, when in 4x4 it was anyone's guess which way it was going. Despite everything, and i mean everything being replaced on the front end, drag link, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm etc etc etc. no amount of new parts would correct the front end wander on an icy road.

Now let's discuss the new to me excursion, 2005, 80K on the odo when i picked her up last month.
6.8 liter, 3.73 gears, 285/75/16 tires. tons of power, nothing on her rattles at all, solid, solid, solid,
went out to Cali to get her last month drove the freeways back and came up through Durango to home. hand calculated 14-15 mpgs hauling a.. down the freeway, hand calculated from Pagosa Springs to my house, 2-3 MPH over the speed limit up down and on the flat over 5 mountain passes 227 miles on 13.45 gallons that's is 16.87 mpg.

Never saw 2nd gear on any pass, quiet, OMG i have, on more than one occasion, forgotten that i put her into 3rd and did not put her back in over- drive. There is almost no difference in the engine noise between 4th and 3rd, the Suburban would be screaming in third and second.

To be fair i do think my chevy seats were a bit more comfortable... But that is so driver dependent on height weight, sitting position etc.

Quick Reply: Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?