1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Second row seat brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second row seat brackets

Hey all,

Is there anyone out there who would be able to measure distance between the seat brackets on the first bench seat? Im mounting this set in my 2010 cargo but dont have a bench seat yet... i want to make sure i get the brackets in the correct location.

Even a center to center measurement would be great too!

Second part of this question, does anyone have a photo from underneath where the torx bolts bolt the brackets to the floor? there must be some sort of strengthening bracket under the floor? I havent looked under mine yet to see if theres anything from factory to mount to..

any help would be great!
Thanks
mike

Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
... Bump!

Really? Noone has a photo of those mounting brackets from underneath?

I just want to see where i need to drill to get the brackets in the factory location.

Are there already holes underneath and i just have to drill the sheet metal?

Thanks
Mike

Old 03-02-2016, 09:50 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I have a cargo van.

I'd wait until I have the seat anyway.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 AM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Im not putting a factory bench in, but i just want to be able to mount one in the brackets if i ever change my mind.

I see under my cargo van there are 2 holes on the crossmembers below where the brackets would mount....im just not sure if thats what the holes are for...theres not threads...which make me think theres another bracket or gusset thats added to a passenger van?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motorcarmike
Im not putting a factory bench in, but i just want to be able to mount one in the brackets if i ever change my mind.

I see under my cargo van there are 2 holes on the crossmembers below where the brackets would mount....im just not sure if thats what the holes are for...theres not threads...which make me think theres another bracket or gusset thats added to a passenger van?
My 88 club wagon had threaded nut plates in the floor but I don't know how it is done now. It even had plates for the optional table. Removing the seats required wrenching (the good ol' days?). jim

Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
heres a shot of the second row seating area from the underside. This is where i was wondering what type of bracket and threaded inserts a factory installed seat has....if any...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Ok all. so heres an update.

I wanted a second row of seating but didnt want to mess with the factory seatbelt mechanisms. I saw a few people using F150 bench seats that have the built in seat belts but they were bolting their frame to the factory mounts...so not quick release... Which i wanted to have the option to remove quickly. Heres what i came up with....

I ended up drilling out the factory holes to mount the factory seat brackets to the floor.

I then took the factory bench seat brackets and cut them in half along the contour of the sides.

I then made up a template for my F150 Seats out of cardboard to position my mounting holes. Made a frame using 1"x3" rectangle tubing and welded the factory brackets. I also added a piece of tubing at each end as a handle to use when removing the brackets. The whole assembly is quite heavy!!

I then mounted the F150 seats. In the picture, they can still slide back about 4 inches. and when folded and slid forward they nearly touch the front seats which allows plenty of access to the rear from the cargo door. They also recline.
They are mounted in the stock bench location so they are off centred.
They whole bench assembly removes exactly like the factory bench.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. I'd like to have an extra seat sometimes.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motorcarmike
Ok all. so heres an update.

I wanted a second row of seating but didnt want to mess with the factory seatbelt mechanisms. I saw a few people using F150 bench seats that have the built in seat belts but they were bolting their frame to the factory mounts...so not quick release... Which i wanted to have the option to remove quickly. Heres what i came up with....

I ended up drilling out the factory holes to mount the factory seat brackets to the floor.

I then took the factory bench seat brackets and cut them in half along the contour of the sides.

I then made up a template for my F150 Seats out of cardboard to position my mounting holes. Made a frame using 1"x3" rectangle tubing and welded the factory brackets. I also added a piece of tubing at each end as a handle to use when removing the brackets. The whole assembly is quite heavy!!

I then mounted the F150 seats. In the picture, they can still slide back about 4 inches. and when folded and slid forward they nearly touch the front seats which allows plenty of access to the rear from the cargo door. They also recline.
They are mounted in the stock bench location so they are off centred.
They whole bench assembly removes exactly like the factory bench.
Looks like a good installation.

My comment would be about the strength of the mounting during a crash? Since the seatbelts are anchored to the seat mounting and not the floor, it would be a concern for me. jim

Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Not sure how itd be in a crash...hopefully i wont need to find out lol.
The bracket material itself is quite strong. I work in the manufacturing of mining equipment so i see this tubing quite a bit on our machines.

I do see that with not having the belts tied into the body of the van the main factor would be the bracket...which i would imagine would bend....but who know until it happens, ive seen alot more iffy things done! lol

Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandnena

My comment would be about the strength of the mounting during a crash? Since the seatbelts are anchored to the seat mounting and not the floor, it would be a concern for me. jim
Yeah same with me as well----more like scared as hell though. I'd also fear lawyers and liability should a collision result in anyone's personal injury where the seat and belt mounting would be found faulty.

Ford as well as other manufacturers go through serious design and fabrication of seat and belt installation if only to avoid lawsuits due bodily injury. Throw in a DIY installation and the issue of liability skyrockets.

Not something I'd want weighing on my mind while driving on today's streets.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Yeah well ill take the chance.

I see everyone on this forum working on their vans and how many people on this forum are certified mechanics? Or certified welders welding in factory seatbelt mounting points in cargo vans? or adding a 4x4 conversion...

Same boat.. unless you are certified you are not supposed to be working on vehicles. Problem with society these days, everyone's solution to everything is to sue and get some easy money....sad.

Thats why its hard to find pick and pull autowreckers!

I believe the middle seat belt is just anchored to the bench seat in factory installs too. I always found it weird why Ford never updated the bench seats with headrests.. nothing like a case of whiplash!

Mike