Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

First Dent Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First Dent Experience

I was backing a Transit up and hit a little mound of snow. I hit the gas to hop over it and the back end wagged right into a new F150. Not only did the dent pop right out with paintless dent repair, but the guy told me I was really lucky it was a new truck because if it was steel I would have had a good amount more damage that would have needed a body shop.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a dent in the fender of my brand new '16 F150 due to negligence at the dealer...

We'll see how easy it is to repair.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Every dent tells a story. Because I was intending to go backwards not sideways this was a pretty hard impact. Defiantly dealer [my] negligence/mistake. Care to show us a picture of your dent and then let us know how it turns out?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16070297 [To avoid re-posting, the images are there].

They don't really do it justice - it's a fairly significant dent for the location.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Yuck. I will say on my dent (also worse than the picture shows, but maybe not as creased as yours) was impressive with how easily the PDR guy was able to walk it along the panel. He punched it once and got the main dent out and then it just moved back and forth until he was able to get behind it. The aluminum seemed much more conducive to body work than I would have expected with all the doom and gloom speak we hear. But, I'm the guy that goes to a car show and watches some wizard with a hammer show how easy dent repair is and then buys the hammer and makes all the dents worse, so it's all over my head.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad to see that it came out well. Does hold promise for the future.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Cost was $400 for my dent. It took about 2 hours to get it perfect.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 AM
MikeDVB
Senior User
The PDR guy the dealer brought in said he is confident he can get 90% of the dent out.

I said 90% isn't 100% and it's a BRAND NEW truck.

I guess my only real option is to go to a body shop I know and trust and talk to them. At least I've worked with them before and I know they do good work...

That said I'm really really really not happy about this.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Yes, you need it 100% and that's what insurance is for... THEIR insurance. Don't let em get away with less if they are trying to.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Yup - I'm sure it will end up being an insurance claim.

The interesting question is will they file the claim for me or will I have to find out who insures them and pursue it myself.

It's definitely not going on my insurance.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Honestly not sure on that one. We've never had a problem fixing someones vehicle we damaged so no one has ever come out and asked me who our insurance is (it does happen, heck, I started this thread cause I hit a truck).

Old 02-25-2016, 01:35 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Well the reason I said that was I actually had to do that once - not with a dealership though. A subcontractor for the city doing road work. They left a huge 90 degree 'curb' in the middle of the road instead of throwing some asphalt down to smooth it out.

I hit it doing 35 MPH and destroyed 3 out of 4 wheels [low-profile tires] in my car at 3 AM.

The city told me to call the action hotline which blew me off. I went down to the job site the next day and talked to the foreman and got the home office details. Called and told them what happened and explained they needed to resolve it etc...

They refused - gave me the run around, refused, refused, refused, etc. Finally I figured out who their insurance company was and I filed a claim directly. 4 hours later the contractor called me to give me a claim number that was only incrementally 8 digits higher [ something like XXXXX24 vs XXXXX16 ] in essence they filed the claim AFTER *I* did.

I hate to have to go to that much trouble to get somebody to repair the damage they're responsible for but I won't also sit on the side and let them walk on me either.

I just hope they quit dropping the ball and figure out how to pick it up and make it right. At this point this may be the first and last Ford I ever own all because of a single dealership.

As it stands the body shop manager at the dealership was supposed to call me 3 hours ago. They were supposed to call me yesterday with an update which didn't come until today.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz

I was backing a Transit up and hit a little mound of snow. I hit the gas to hop over it and the back end wagged right into a new F150. Not only did the dent pop right out with paintless dent repair, but the guy told me I was really lucky it was a new truck because if it was steel I would have had a good amount more damage that would have needed a body shop.
I think he has that a little backwards. The guy should watch this comparison test of a 2014 vs 2015:

Old 02-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
And I only get my news from memes on facebook....

Seriously you can't compare one accident type to all types of damage. Did you not see the Edmund one where the guy could hardly put a good dent in the side of the F150?

Old 02-27-2016, 04:05 PM
R23DRVR
Freshman User
First Dent Club

We all know it will happen, but with no charity being shown, hope it happens to someone else, oh well here's mine.

Young lady on I-94 in the right lane decided to conjoin with my new beast innocently occupying the center lane.

Results; she lost the drivers side mirror on her Fusion, and I lost the front fender and F 150 emblem. $800.00 plus in damage, photos show the dent caused by the mirror, but the mirror pressing in also split the wheel lip edge of fender, thus it will become a future beer can. Claims agent and body shop manager insist that repaint will be faded into both the door and hood to blend the rework.

Interesting fact, the Escape I'm driving as a loaner has a very nice navigation screen. The green street identity boxes and red street demarcations make for a very easy to recognize format.

Fx

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: First Dent Experience