6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck Leaning 1.5" to the Left

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:51 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Leaning 1.5" to the Left

Ever since I bought the truck I have noticed it has leaned slightly to the left. I even had a dealer look at it a couple months ago, but they said it was within Ford's tolerance. It has gotten progressively worse, and the odd thing is it's most noticeable with the bed of the truck completely empty, less than 10 gallons of fuel in the tank, and under a half tank of DEF. Below are some pics I took with the load in the truck as light as possible. When these pics were taken, there was a 1.5" difference in fender height from left to right, which is way outside of Ford's specs. I have a service appointment at another dealer on Saturday to see what they say.

Shot from inside garage.

Level on rear bumper showing how extreme the lean is.

Level on driveway showing it is level side-to-side.

Measurement of left rear fender to bottom of wheel.

Measurement of right rear fender to bottom of wheel.

My best guess (and the dealer i have the appointment with) is it's a defective spring on the driver's side. Looking at the top overloads on the springs, the left rear is always much closer to contacting the bump stop than the right rear, which seems really odd. I just hope it's something easy to diagnose and quick to repair.

While the truck is at the shop, they are going to also look at a noise that's recently developed in the wiper linkage, as well as reprogram the computer for my larger fuel tank and wheels and tires, and adjust the TPMS sensors to account for the lower maximum pressure of the new tires.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Measure the bow in the springs on each side. Springs are usually replaced in pairs, so if they only do one, measure again before accepting the repair.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Bachelors Sag? How much do you weigh?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:41 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
Bachelors Sag? How much do you weigh?
LOL! A whopping 160 pounds wet. The best part is when the truck is loaded up for camping, there's significantly more weight on the passenger side, yet it doesn't really alleviate any of the lean.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 921 Likes on 331 Posts
my 2005 F350 had that problem. Ford has a spacer to put under the springpack on the axle. Although mine wasnt that bad, thats the repair they did.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Here is my truck's gangster lean. 1 1/4" difference side to side, and was told it was within tolerance.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Is it the truck frame or bed?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:12 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
With both trucks, you sure can see the lean...

Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
As bad as they are, I could tolerate that more than I can with the rear lower than the front In all seriousness, does Ford not realize that other POTENTIAL buyers see these trucks??

Old 02-25-2016, 06:27 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it possible to measure from the bottom of the frame rails to the floor on both sides and front to rear?

If one side of the frame is lower than the other, then I'd shim at the springs on the axles. If the frame sits level, then the body mounts need shims but make sure the cab and the bed are both shimmed, otherwise you'll have a noticeably crooked bed.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Is it possible to measure from the bottom of the frame rails to the floor on both sides and front to rear?

If one side of the frame is lower than the other, then I'd shim at the springs on the axles. If the frame sits level, then the body mounts need shims but make sure the cab and the bed are both shimmed, otherwise you'll have a noticeably crooked bed.
I can measure my truck tonight when I get home. My guess is the frame will be lower on the left side, as the body lines all look really good.

On an unrelated note, my wheels should finally arrive today. If they do, I'll be posting some pics of the new wheel/tire package on the truck tonight as well.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
My front isn't level either, but not off nearly as far. I will see if I can measure tonight.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
When I first got my '15 F-450 I noticed a lean to the left. Dealership measured and said it was within spec. Just a guess but maybe it's to compensate for the crown of the road? I don't really notice it any more.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 AM
garmford
Senior User
is it possible that the engineers are compensating for the "crown" in the roadways? Seems a little far fetched but who knows. Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:20 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by garmford
is it possible that the engineers are compensating for the "crown" in the roadways? Seems a little far fetched but who knows. Just a thought.
I guess it's a possibility, I'm just glad I never park on a level surface. If I knew my truck is crooked I might go crazy too.

Quick Reply: Truck Leaning 1.5" to the Left