Head Worn Work Lights? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Head Worn Work Lights?

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Head Worn Work Lights?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Head Worn Work Lights?

Been using the Streamlight Argo model which is fantastic for a lot of uses, sadly not mine. I need or want something with a wide beam meant more for closer work than the Streamlight offerings.

Cost isn't an issue necessarily but the old bang for the buck does come into play. This would see somewhat rough conditions, mostly from me in how it would be stored or dropped on occasion. If parts are replaceable that's good but if now then price to replace the whole thing would be a factor.

I'm working in the dark, typically no further away than arm's length, would like a wide beam that covers up to 24-36".

Whatcha got?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:41 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've generally found that the less they cost, the less focused the beam is. Energizer makes one for about 17 bucks that has both spot and flood modes that can be used separately or together. They also claim that it is resistant to drops to a concrete floor. I have both cheapies and good ones and find myself using the cheap ones the most.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM
*2fords*
Posting Guru
*2fords* is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I use an Energizer. I've had it a long time and use it quite often crawling under houses to work on plumbing mostly.
The only real complaint I have is the dang head band stretched out pretty soon after getting it.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I had a Harbor Freight one for a while, it was pretty decent until the kids got a hold of it. Haven't seen it since.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:48 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
I've used Petzl headlamps for mumble-mumble years. The bands do get stretched out, but they work great. Good headlamps are smaller than the cheapies and battery life is way better. Takes 3 AAA

https://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/CLASSIC-headlamps/TIKKA

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
http://www.ridelust.com/illuminating...the-headlight/

Here's one for ya - Miner's Headlamp, uses carbide and water. No pesky batteries required!

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Illuminating! A Brief History of the Headlight

Here's one for ya - Miner's Headlamp, uses carbide and water. No pesky batteries required!
Have a few of those and a couple of cans of carbide. They are BRIGHT! They also work well for blackening the iron sights on target rifles (if you're old school like me).

Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I have a couple Sav-U-Lites, they are a similar concept. Calcium carbide, calcium phosphate and water is all it takes-
Early car headlights were acetylene as well.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
It took me forever to find a picture of one that was actually lit, and that one doesn't even look right. They do give out a good, clear bright light.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:40 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I've used Petzl headlamps for mumble-mumble years. The bands do get stretched out, but they work great. Good headlamps are smaller than the cheapies and battery life is way better. Takes 3 AAA
Those are interesting----how are they for a wider beam at arm's length? That would be my main use, the 10' and further out not really a big concern.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
They have a little slidey window deal that diffuses the light or can select a focused beam. They should work fine for close up work.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
They have a little slidey window deal that diffuses the light or can select a focused beam. They should work fine for close up work.
We're getting closer then---any specific model of the Petzl's I should buy? I see they have a lot of them to choose from.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Well I guess it depends on your application, what exactly are you using it for. Never paid much attention to all the different types. If you dig around their main site they have a bunch, for caving and hiking, climbing etc. The link shows the "Tikka" since there's an older version that I use for everything - camping, working on the trucks, close in electronic work or around the home.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Nicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to beholdNicholas+ is a splendid one to behold
I work on the power lines and often we end up working in the dark. The company gives us the cheap $10 dollar lights but they pretty much stink. I've bought a few of my own over the years. My last one is a Petzl Tikka RXP. It's the best one I've had so far. Rechargeable and automatically adjusts to a wide beam for close up work and focused and brighter for farther away. For instance if you were looking down at a tool in your hand it would be a mellow wide light output, if someone was calling you from a distance and you looked over at them the beam would automatically get brighter and focus tighter. It's pretty darn amazing actually. Downside... It's on the expensive side at around a hundred bucks. I use mine in all types of weather and it spends most of its time bouncing around in my tool bag. Its seems very durable. https://www.rei.com/product/860106/p...a-rxp-headlamp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Worn Work Lights?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.