1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New used kenwood stereo in old van

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:14 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
New used kenwood stereo in old van

My neighbor has, I believe it is a GMC Jimmy, not sure and not sure exactly what year, maybe 2005or 8, somewhere in that range . But his engine went out and he is selling the truck for scrap. He said he has a aftermarket Kenwood receiver with single CD in it.. The last stereo I swapped was in my 67 falcon... (I still have that Ford AM radio) So I am not at all up to date on stereos..

The stereo would be going in my 1988 e150. Besides mounting, and sorting out the wiring, is there any reason it might not work?

I only have 4 speakers in my van, 2 in the back and 2 in the front doors. I don't need a monster stereo, just something that sounds decent at mid to low volume. My current stereo with cassette would be fine for me except that it will no longer seek or scan and the front speakers are not working.

One more thing... I have a 94 Lincoln TC that I will probably be selling for scrap and it has a factory amp mounted in the trunk. Could that be of use or the Lincoln speakers?

From a Lincoln site: "Premium Sound amp does like 8watts RMSx4 channels."

My current radio looks like this
http://images.hollandersolutions.com.../JPE/D2C/I.jpg

Thanks
Anna

Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skip the Lincoln amp. Not worth the trouble.

Get a wiring harness adapter and mounting kit.
Maybe need an antenna adapter, too but I don't know for sure.

Should work fine.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Thanks JBwheels.. Maybe he has a set of good speakers to go with it..
So just install the radio and connect it to the old speaker wires.. The wires going to the front door speakers look much like brown lamp cord...

Old 02-23-2016, 12:16 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
As long as it's the standard size deck and not one of the taller decks it should work. I don't know what that age gm would have for a stereo design/type.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Anna to avoid delving into the roadblocks your swap might entail I'd suggest looking at Crutchfield's site for a few ideas---spend some time in the installation aid section. You'll find tons of adapters for mounting and wiring that would make installing a new(er) stereo.

Too often electronics from one era or manufacturer don't swap out too well---that's pretty much by design I'm sure. They don't want us taking the best of this system, adding it to something else and they not getting the profits. Also because so much of the entertainment system's might be integrated to other parts of the vehicles they're not easily or economically OR time required good ideas if at all even possible.

You'd be surprised how affordable a until you can find these days---massively easier to install too---both features I'd look for during an upgrade.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you................

Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you can read thru Google in the speakers and amplifier information, apply that to your intended setup then itsa go.

speakers and receiver wires have a ground side and a power side

the receiver has an OHM rating of 4 or 8 ohms output. The speakers need match that ohmage. You can search for this info online.

You would use a multi meter finding numbers convert into quantities thru Ohms Law. Try finding amps for a light bulb.

The linc amp is good ! if it works. But the new receiver has to power it. There maybe a preamp output separate from speaker outputs. If so the Linc could power one speaker or 2.

your rear speakers ? can you hear that ? I cannot. Search for DIY speaker enclosures. Back of the cockpit bookshelf speakers are tops.

New components are kinda inexpensive. See Sonix Electronix in Santa Clarita.

the electronics are reusable, not much changed in 5 years, the equipment does not 'go bad' you ma ynot figure what to do with it now, maybe later. Or someone will want your equipment. doahn throw the amp or receiver away !

I pulled to small bookshelf solid Pioneer 2 4" hole with tweeter hole out of the dumpster. Not immediately use able needing a second amp n new speaker units but later a solid mini bass/midrange for tween the seats.

Last edited by ROADHOGE250; 02-24-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-23-2016, 07:02 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up save yourself a LOT of aggravation

Just like me to throw a little water on the fire.

I would not mess with it...the wiring will be different color codes, the connectors and brackets will be different, and an old Kenwood AM/FM CD player is just not worth the trouble. Even if it was $300 when new and 5 years old, now, its worth pennies....if that.

If you want to replace whats in your dash you really have two good options:

Either scour ebay for used OEM takeouts, such as these:

Ford Lincoln Radio 90 43N Foaf 19B132 Ba in Dash Cassette | eBay

1993 93 Ford E150 in Dash Fotf 19B132 AA Am FM Cassette Player Car Stereo | eBay

(you might find something at a salvage yard as well)

Or, look thru the Crutchfield website, choose one of the Jensen indash units or similar, and order that, plus any trim kits and connectors that will be needed.

They should be able to set you up with a head unit, connectors, trim kit, and speakers if needed, and it should all be plug and play.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
I checked both places and neither seems to have a ?face plate? Maybe they just fit right in. they do have wiring adapters though. I guess it would be fairly easy to make a trim piece

Old 02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
what is the 'wiring adapter's function ? 2 units from different manufacturers have the same input and output connections on the rear ?

what adapts to what ?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had an '88 that I put in an aftermarket stereo with no issues. The wiring adapters come with a wiring code on it that makes it pretty simple to wire up to the new(old) radio and then it just plugs into your factory harness. Some radios will fit and some will need an installation adapter kit to fit where the factory unit was. Just goto any auto parts store like Advance or AutoZone and they should have them or best buy. You don't even have to cut into your factory system incase you decide to reinstall your old unit.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:34 AM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
OK ! the adapter kit has an end plug mates with the OEM radio plug. The other adapter end has wires with male connectors ID'd to go into the new unit ?

I read thru this at Sonic Electronix and Crutch not finding a suitable kit. Used a copied/downloaded online factory manual into PC with the wire color codings plus a multimeter soldered the Kenwood in.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
BTW Crutch sells AAA quality connectors, HD audio cables with excellent vinyl housings, ground/power end connectors, and GT battery pole connections. Difficult finding elsewhere. Costs more but 8 years later still new, solid, flexible.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the adapter harness wires to the the new radio and then plugs into the 2 harnesses that were originally plugged into the factory radio. Easy peesy. The only issue I've ever had was factory speakers wires for a Mustang being wrong color than the diagram on the packaging. Wasn't too bad to figure out. In the van I didn't have that issue.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:24 AM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Ford ( and ?) uses weenie wires. Best replacing OEM speaker wires with a standard twisted stereo gauge several times larger AND ditching OEM speakers for 2 DIY boxes/coax speakers or small bookshelf speakers for the rear deck ...not compromising rear vision of course.

Consider extra wire, mobile boxes for applicable cruising. Tied down in places.

pull new wiring thru soldered to old wiring. possibly silicon lubed.

suddenly there's music. the difference will knock you out.

not replacing OEM speaker is dumb. Door speakers are inadequate but for background noise.

color coding on secondary systems is unreliable as if the directions are correct, the hookup may not be.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:31 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the advice and help... Hopefully I can tie new wires onto the old ones and feed them back to the rear speakers. New wires on the front will be easy..