1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

My 1967 F100 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Front brake lines are installed. The kit from inline tubing is top notch for anyone wanting to buy a complete pre-bent brake line kit. Went to put the front wheels back on to get it on the ground and uh-oh the wheels are hitting and won't spin freely. For the driver's side it just barely contacted a sharp edge on the caliper. A little polishing with a scotch bright pad on the die grinder and it spins free. The passenger side I replaced the tire and wheel with a random spare that came with the truck since the installed tire had a pretty quick leak. It's a different style of wheel and it just flat wouldn't move at all. It's hitting hard on the caliper. So, the wheel comes back off. I'll either get a temporary spacer to put this wheel and tire back on or go have the original tire repaired to get it back rolling with the stock wheel so we can bring it home. It'll be getting new tires eventually anyway. I hadn't read of anyone else having clearance issues when doing the dent side disc brake swap, but also most seem to be using different wheels. I want to keep the factory wheels on mine, so I imagine I'll need to do some more polishing on the passenger side caliper also.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsabullitt
Front brake lines are installed. The kit from inline tubing is top notch for anyone wanting to buy a complete pre-bent brake line kit. Went to put the front wheels back on to get it on the ground and uh-oh the wheels are hitting and won't spin freely. For the driver's side it just barely contacted a sharp edge on the caliper. A little polishing with a scotch bright pad on the die grinder and it spins free. The passenger side I replaced the tire and wheel with a random spare that came with the truck since the installed tire had a pretty quick leak. It's a different style of wheel and it just flat wouldn't move at all. It's hitting hard on the caliper. So, the wheel comes back off. I'll either get a temporary spacer to put this wheel and tire back on or go have the original tire repaired to get it back rolling with the stock wheel so we can bring it home. It'll be getting new tires eventually anyway. I hadn't read of anyone else having clearance issues when doing the dent side disc brake swap, but also most seem to be using different wheels. I want to keep the factory wheels on mine, so I imagine I'll need to do some more polishing on the passenger side caliper also.
The stock Ford wheels should clear disc brakes with no problem. Ford used basicall the same wheels at least through '79. I had no clearance issues with my swap.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
The factory wheel on the drivers side just barely touched on a sharp edge on the caliper. I could still turn the tire by hand with just a slight drag. It may have just been a random casting flaw as it smoothed right off and clears just fine now. The wheel on the passenger side is not stock for this truck. It has the same bolt pattern but the offset is totally different. I imagine the stock wheel will clear just fine and if the cheapo wheel spacer doesn't allow me to fit this wheel back on temporarily then I'll get the tire fixed and put the stock wheel back on. I was just curious if anyone else ran into this. Seems it's just my luck.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:32 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Update. I took a trip up to a big salvage yard a few hours out of town and the guy had a mostly complete 67 F100. I snagged the passenger side door panel, factory stereo, factory dash/gauge panel, ash tray and both sides window cranks and interior door handles for $60.00. Probably going to go back to snag the pedal assembly and throttle linkage since it's on the way to the body shop we're taking my truck to.

Have the 460 bare block and heads along with the C6 installed for test fit. So far, everything fits except the original manual trans cross member sits too high, causing the transmission to hit the tunnel. I have a C6 cross member from the dentside that should allow it to drop down enough to clear everything. Now it's just a matter of loading her up and bringing it home this weekend so we can start pulling the front clip off and cleaning/painting the frame.

While it's off having the floors and cab mounts replaced, we're going to pull the oil pan off the 429 to inspect the bearings. Also going to have the C6 rebuilt. Hope to have both done by the time the truck comes back.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:29 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Moving along nicely. Got and pics yet?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Just this one of the mock up engine and heads in. Brake lines ran up to the MC.

Got it loaded up and brought home today

Moved some tools and the 429 today also.

Finally in the new garage at home.

Now we just need to get the garage organized so we can start working on the truck.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Nothing really to report on the truck. Life has been busy with getting the garage finished. Next is to do some rock work around the approach since the entrance to the garage is right off our alley.

I just picked up a new stable mate to share the garage with my '67.

More pics here: 1st Gen Mustang by Garrett Hamlton | Photobucket

Horn button won't stay on. Planning on replacing the wheel anyway.

It's an early production '65, (64 1/2). It now has a 302 in place of the original 289. It's a fun little car but I haven't had much seat time in it yet. I took Monday and Tuesday off from work and both days threatened rain and hail, so it stayed in the garage. Looking forward to car show and cruise-in season to begin.

Now that the car is finally home, I can turn my focus back to the '67. Just need to get some money saved back up so I can pay the body man to replace the floors and cab mounts. Any recommendations on where to buy a dentside radiator core support? Dennis Carpenter says out of stock and awaiting delivery date. They also have two different options for a core support. Not really sure which one I should be looking for.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:00 PM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you said you got prebent brake lines front inline tubing....which ones did you get to match your year truck did you just get lines for the year truck which you got the set up from? and great job she is looking great!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:00 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Yep, just ordered factory replacement for the 76-79 F100/F150 with power brakes since I'm using the factory front brake set up from a '76. I ordered them from LMC not really knowing what brand they were and was pleasantly surprised that they were from inline tube. I've heard nothing but good comments about them and am happy so far.

Just keep in mind the brake lines are bent to match the original factory set up, so if you install an aftermarket proportioning valve you may have to do some modifications. I used the factory pressure differential valve from the donor truck on mine.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:12 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Holy cow the last three years have really gone by fast. Life went by and the truck sat on the back burner. The c6 has been rebuilt and the 429 has been installed and test fired. Starts and runs good. Now we're in the final assembly stages. I plan on having it in the body shop by October to have the floor pans, cab mounts and cab corners done. Then I can finally drive it for the first time. I'll post some pictures of the progress below.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:44 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic

Got a few pictures of the tear down and when we mocked up the 429.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:46 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic

429 and C6 in for mockup

Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic

New inner fenders, core support and Champion radiator installed, ready for test fire.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:52 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Got it started up. Had to correct an electrical issue in the distributor, now it fires right up and seems to run good.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:59 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic

Poor truck became a catch-all for all my new parts and swap meet finds. Got it mostly cleaned out and back to work.

Quick Reply: My 1967 F100 build