Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Engine Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by horsecop
Don't leave it plugged in all the time. Get a heavy duty timer and set it about four hours before you start your truck. The elements will fail so there's no need to burn it out if your not going to use the truck. It's a mess to change out. Easy, but a mess.
I have to disagree with this. These elemnets are very heavy duty, they rarely burn out, actually in all my years dealing with PSDs, i dont think i have heard of one burning out. I lived in Alaska for 6 years and never once had an issue with it burning out, and i had it plugged in all the time. My truck is 11 years old and still has the original heater element.

The timer part i will agree with, it will help save money on electricity.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
rcb_in_nv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable routing pictures?

A number of years ago, I found most of my block heater cable on the driveway, a victim of a family of blunt-tail wood rats. I haven't needed the block heater until now. I bought the new cable <WHEW>and want to install it, but what holes do the little spikey things go into. A picture would be great <VISUAL person>. I can probably interpret through the snow and mud deposits.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
jekoenig
New User
7.3 Engine Block Heater

Thanks, Chris. Late last night I finally found it, hidden under a flap on the drivers side in front of the radiator, tied to two connectors like it has obviously never been used.

Just bought it about a year ago -- first diesel ever, first PSD ever. 150k in great condition.

James in GA
2001 F350 Lariat 7.3 CC, LB, SWB, Leer truck cap

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
jekoenig
New User
rcb,
I'm new to this forum, but everything I've read tells me the cord plugs into the oil filter housing just above the filter. Good luck.

James in GA

Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcb_in_nv
A number of years ago, I found most of my block heater cable on the driveway, a victim of a family of blunt-tail wood rats. I haven't needed the block heater until now. I bought the new cable <WHEW>and want to install it, but what holes do the little spikey things go into. A picture would be great <VISUAL person>. I can probably interpret through the snow and mud deposits.
This thread will tell you all you need to know, post #6 has a pic. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-location.html

And welcome to FTE

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jekoenig
Thanks, Chris. Late last night I finally found it, hidden under a flap on the drivers side in front of the radiator, tied to two connectors like it has obviously never been used.

Just bought it about a year ago -- first diesel ever, first PSD ever. 150k in great condition.

James in GA
2001 F350 Lariat 7.3 CC, LB, SWB, Leer truck cap
Glad you found it. Welcome to FTE. Plenty of info here. And as you can see, lots of people willing to help with any question you have.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
lhud
Elder User
The only issue I can see with the heater elements would be the accumulation of grundge on the elements causing less heat transfer to the coolant, thus longer warm up time. Sort of like your electric hot water heater elements that build up over time.
Other that this, the heater is quite heavy duty. I also plug mine in for several hours (on a timer) year round. During the winter, I think this prolongs the life of the glow plugs if done the life of the truck.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
jekoenig
New User
Appreciate the welcome Chris. I'll be around gleening whatver I can.

James in GA
2001 F350 Lariat 4x4, 7.3 CC, LB, SRW, Leer truck cap

Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
rcb_in_nv
New User
Originally Posted by maevans
This thread will tell you all you need to know, post #6 has a pic. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-location.html

And welcome to FTE
Thank you.. this is a really fine site.

That's an excellent close-up photo. I'd never have thought of crawling under with a camera.

Since it was just below that plug that the cable was gnawed off by the packrats, I'm not sure how to route the new cable I just got. It has flexible (accordian-pleat covered) cable on the outer third at each end, but the middle third (roughly) has a hard, inflexible covering, so I'm guessing it can't just get zip-tied any-old-where. All along the length are taped on 'spikes' that must get pressed into some holes in the frame or wheel well ...

Given the cost of the cable, I want to make sure it gets put in so that it won't get damaged. I don't have the old cable there to go from. You start from the front and thread it in toward the rear?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=rcb_in_nv;8392963]Thank you.. this is a really fine site.

That's an excellent close-up photo. I'd never have thought of crawling under with a camera.

Since it was just below that plug that the cable was gnawed off by the packrats, I'm not sure how to route the new cable I just got. It has flexible (accordian-pleat covered) cable on the outer third at each end, but the middle third (roughly) has a hard, inflexible covering, so I'm guessing it can't just get zip-tied any-old-where. All along the length are taped on 'spikes' that must get pressed into some holes in the frame or wheel well ...

Given the cost of the cable, I want to make sure it gets put in so that it won't get damaged. I don't have the old cable there to go from. You start from the front and thread it in toward the rear?[/quote]

I would start at the heater and work towards the front myself. I will try and see if I can find the routing instruction for the cord. I have them some where.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Two by Ford
Junior User
Like seeing a 6 1/2 year old post still helpin' folk. It's why I joined. For those of you just finding your heaters, don't pull my stunt and back out of the drive still plugged in. Several times before I finally started hanging the extension cord over the DS mirror. Unfortunately I think too late. My heater quit working. I've read some post where it might be just the cord. Just another item on the list.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
rcb_in_nv
New User
To MAEVANS,

I really appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to devote your time to sharing it.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
h2guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by rcb_in_nv
I bought the new cable <WHEW>and want to install it, but what holes do the little spikey things go into.
If you have the FoMoCo cord, the female plug can only go into the heater receptacle one way. It is keyed that way.

Don't force it in. Gently feed it into the receptacle and when its correct, it'll seat itself flush against the opening.

Make sure to use the wire keeper over the threads of the heater to ensure that the cord stays in place during your "adventures" with the truck.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Tinker2
New User
Two by Ford,
My heater also quit working and I found that it was open in the male plug. I cut off the cord and installed a new plug...works as good as new. I tested it with an ohm-meter and it tested open, so I used a pin to poke thru the insulation about 6" back from the plug and tested each conductor. ! showed the short like it should and the other tested open, so I tested it again about 1" from the plug and go the same results. Then with pins in both conductors I "looked" at the heater and got about 14 ohms which let me know it was good to the heater. I cut off the plug about 1" behind the plug and installed the new male plug. The old plug was bad inside the plug itself. Hope this helps.
Ray

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I believe the element on the newer block heaters are ceramic coated rasing the longevity of the element.

I've replaced several on older semi's that have not been ceramic coated. Never seen one come in with ceramic on it.

Quick Reply: 7.3 Engine Block Heater