Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 Door Problem - Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM
ThatStangGuy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 Door Problem - Won't Open

Hi all,

This is my first post. I am thinking of purchasing a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 as my winter vehicle. The car only has 92,000 miles on it. I test drove it, and it seems to run great! The only issue (visibly) with the car is that the rear drivers side door is stuck. There is a dent below the door handle, and the door will not open from the inside of the car, or from the outside. The dent does not look major, and it seems to me that if I can get the door open, I could repair the latch/locking mechanism.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? I don't want to buy the car if the only way to repair the door is to spend a ton of money at a body shop. Please let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. This is my first post, below are the pictures of the outside of the door. Hopefully the image links work.

PLEASE NOTE: I think it is the locking mechanism that is broken. The dent isn't causing the door to be stuck. The power door locks work, and I can manually lock/unlock the rear door. However, even when unlocked, the door will not open from inside or outside the vehicle. It's as though the door is "stuck" because the lock doesn't disengage.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM
IIGood
Senior User
Tough to say...though the dent externally may not be causing the door to bind, I'd bet there's damage in the door jamb somehow keeping the door from opening. Like you said, probably either the latch mechanism or the catch. The dent seems to be in that general area.

When you pull on the door handle (either inside or outside) can you hear anything like it wants to release?

I dunno...I'm kinda drawing at straws here on this...sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 PM
ThatStangGuy
New User
Originally Posted by IIGood
When you pull on the door handle (either inside or outside) can you hear anything like it wants to release?
Thanks for the reply. Nope, can't hear anything when pulling the handle from either side. No movement whatsoever in the door. I am going to ask the dealer if they can repair the door before i purchase. Hopefully they'll be willing to fix it.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:12 PM
IIGood
Senior User
Oh, it's from a dealership? Yeah, I'd think you could use that as a bargaining tool in price negotiation. I'm a little surprised that they didn't have it fixed before they put it on the lot. I wonder if that would even prevent it from passing an inspection...I'd almost think all doors would have to open.

BTW...just noticed your username...do you have any Mustangs? I've currently got a 2003 GT in Sonic Blue that I bought new. Bought the Explorer so I'd have something to drive in nasty weather thus keeping the Mustang away from that...