Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 white haze

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Melendez7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 white haze

Ive been trying to diagnose this problem for a while. My truck 00' 7.3 255k is smoking white. It's not thick its more of a white haze. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt. It has a 6637 intake, exhaust, and wicked wheel. No tuner or such. Im thinking either the turbo is going out or maybe a leaky injector? Just checked the turbo wheel and it has a little side to side play. On start up itll puff white then go away but then under heavy acceleration on occasion there is a haze of white then goes to haze of black. It also feels like the truck is lacking some power. There is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Not consuming oil or coolant. And there is no excessive pressure coming out of the oil fill.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id find a way to monitor my boost. That will tell you if your turbo is on its way out. Alittle play in and out is ok, but side to side sound like the bearing. There is a rebuild kit for those. Have you checked for exhaust leaks before the turbo? Black soot on any of the joints or clamps. Stock boots suck, they may be leaking. You need to get a scanner so you can monitor the boost , icp, etc.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Melendez7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Absolute
Id find a way to monitor my boost. That will tell you if your turbo is on its way out. Alittle play in and out is ok, but side to side sound like the bearing. There is a rebuild kit for those. Have you checked for exhaust leaks before the turbo? Black soot on any of the joints or clamps. Stock boots suck, they may be leaking. You need to get a scanner so you can monitor the boost , icp, etc.
There is no soot on the up pipes or firewall. The boots all look good ive taken them off and cleaned and checked them only ones i havent taken off is the ones on the spider. What scanner do you guys reccomend that isnt gona kill my wallet?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone is using the Torque Pro App, and a blue tooth usb thingy. I use AE, but its expensive.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 PM
SMT_FORD
Junior User
There are numerous Scan Tools which work well. We (7.3L) uses Pulse With Modulation or PWM. Ford used this exclusively from the 70's - 90's on the majority of their applications. As for what is best for you. There are literally 50 options out there. From Computer Based Interfaced, Stand Alone, to Cell Phone and a couple in between. Available new and e-bay alike. Research, research, research.

As for the white smoke at start up. That sounds as though it could be related to an Injector or perhaps a Valve Seat. Especially if it is worsened at the first start of the day.

I would try some Archoil or Hotshot Secret on both the Oil (along with an Oil Change) and Fuel Side additive. I have had several customers trucks that would mosquito fog the lot in the morning. One to the point you literally couldn't see across the lot. Advised them to try this first and all returned only to tell me it had corrected itself and never ran better. Snake oil? I don't know. But, a savings of $3k seemed to appeal to them.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
If they're customers, sounds like you should be charging them an hour diagnosis (to confirm all is well first), then YOU do the oil change and snake oil install.
If things get better, they think you're a genius. If nothing changes, you're still a prince for checking over their junk and making sure all is well.Then you have a 'real' place to start, not a 'ghost' that went away with 'snake oil'.
IMO, you're leaving money on the table by having them fix their own stuff...

Old 02-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Melendez7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by SMT_FORD
There are numerous Scan Tools which work well. We (7.3L) uses Pulse With Modulation or PWM. Ford used this exclusively from the 70's - 90's on the majority of their applications. As for what is best for you. There are literally 50 options out there. From Computer Based Interfaced, Stand Alone, to Cell Phone and a couple in between. Available new and e-bay alike. Research, research, research.

As for the white smoke at start up. That sounds as though it could be related to an Injector or perhaps a Valve Seat. Especially if it is worsened at the first start of the day.

I would try some Archoil or Hotshot Secret on both the Oil (along with an Oil Change) and Fuel Side additive. I have had several customers trucks that would mosquito fog the lot in the morning. One to the point you literally couldn't see across the lot. Advised them to try this first and all returned only to tell me it had corrected itself and never ran better. Snake oil? I don't know. But, a savings of $3k seemed to appeal to them.
Ive heard the archoil is good so might try that. And at first start up it will puff for a few seconds nothing crazy that fogs the whole area. And how could i diagnose which injector/injectors are leaky or what not?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Melendez7.3
Junior User
As for montioring i was thinking about spending the money and getting a evolution cts2. Are they any good on the 7.3's? Will i be able to moniter everything that is vital to the motor and maybe diagnose the problem im having now?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anything about the Evolution CTS2 but see if it is able to perform an injector buzz test.