Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Idk if i f'd it up

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 PM
IHATEFORDS1990
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idk if i f'd it up

I had to replace the fuel head supply lines on the driver and passenger side.in wich case i had to disassemble almostthe entire turbo assembly and disconnected the turbo from the platform with the ports that have seals.
after i put everything back together and tryed to start the truck on the first crank it acted like it was seized up and then fired immediately on tje second crank i then noticed it was blowing white smoke from the exhaust for about 5 minutes or so.also noticed there was oil lile fluid coming from the exhaust to turbo pipe connection.
i then realized my coolant Reservoir was cracked and losing pressure and leaking of course.
after i unhooked the feed hose on the bottom i heard the coolant the was still in the line leaking somewhere other than the ground.
now my connection from my exhaust to turbo is dumping out either coolant or diesel cuel and i mean alot of it to
also the smoke on the start up does not smell lile oil or diesel fuel at all
PLEASE HELP
IM NOT TO GOOD WITH DIESELS SO BE DETAILED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, your username isn't a good way to start asking for help here.

I wouldn't let my truck chug white smoke for that long. It sounds like your turbo is burning oil. If there is a knock involved, you might have an injector sticking open.

Hopefully, one of the more knowledgeable veterans of this forum will chime in with more info and advice.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM
IHATEFORDS1990
New User
Sorry u dont like my name

However no knock no oil in my coolant no coolant in my oil
i dont think in was diesel fuel cuz i didnt smell any diesel after i shut it off.also it stopped smoking in less then 3 mins.
what would be able to fill my turbo with fluids
shoot out of the exhaust to turbo connection

ps.
the reason my name is IHATEFORDS1990 IS CUZZ every time i fix a ford for one thing something else thats not even related breaks like the last 2 days ive been doing ball joints
and tie rods and basically all new front components.
and the fuel head supply lines.
i do however love my f350 flat bed and the 7.3 powerstroke
i towed 17,000 pounds from FL to Nebraska and the only thing that happened was the cold weather created the fuel leak from lines i replaced.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
White smoke is usually indicative of raw unburnt diesel, ether that or coolant. What does the white smoke smell like?

You said the “fluid†is coming out of the exhaust?

Oil smoke is usually blue in color....

How many miles on the truck, what other kids have been done, any other relevant data, no matter how inconsequential it may seem? (Sorry if there is any of this info in your sig, I can’t see them on my cell...

Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 AM
IHATEFORDS1990
New User
No its not coming out of the end of the exhaust it comimg out where the exhaust hooks into the turbo and its whites smoke doesn't smell like diesel or oil.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by IHATEFORDS1990
No its not coming out of the end of the exhaust it comimg out where the exhaust hooks into the turbo and its whites smoke doesn't smell like diesel or oil.
Try to get the clamp on better there. Only way anything can come out of there is if the parts are not mated correctly.

The fuel line connects to the head under there. Maybe it's not in all the way and fuel is squirting onto the exhaust pipe or manifold?

Reinstalling the turbo can be a beeyotch. Clamp on the back is a common problem, aligning that with the collector. Also the o rings on the pedestal can move on ya and give a fat oil leak. Look under the turbo with a mirror and see if it's leaking there.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Even though you're posting in the '99 - '03 7.3L forum, a few pre-Superduty guys chime in because of the amassed experience here. Without more information, I'll assume you have a Superduty.

You pulled the turbo, but you made no mention if you used a turbo install kit to put it back in. Utilizing the used components for re-install is a recipe for big leaks. Even if your turbo sent oil out the boost side, your engine would stall from oil starvation before it would chug oil directly out the exhaust - the intercooler would hog all the oil. Oily exhaust is frequently the result of a bad bushing in the turbo, and a simple "shake the turbo shaft" test can reveal this. A bad bushing allows the boost air to flow to the exhaust, taking a buttload of oil with it.

As for the coolant gurgle... maybe you have a thermostat problem and the gurgling was the coolant reaching air pockets in the cooling system. The cracked degas bottle doesn't necessarily mean it's leaking, or you would have had overheating problems. Our degas bottle is mis-marked, and the coolant actually rests a ways below the cold full line. Trying to keep it filled to the line will just frustrate you, and waste coolant.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
The degas bottle is plastic and will show age over time, i.e. cracks. I replaced mine when I made the switch to ELC EC-1 coolant. The level does fluctuate depending when you read it. If I let my truck sit for the weekend, the level drops to what I consider my "cold" range and top it to within the max and min lines. It drops to the same level when it's this cold and when its operating it goes to the same level every time.

It sounds like the other members are pointing you in the right direction for your other issues, but I will say your frustration with Ford seems a bit ill-placed for blame. Ball joints and other front-end components are all parts that all see wear over time and need to be replaced regardless of manufacturer. Maintenance is key, as I am sure you know, and even more important with our aging dinosaurs. On top of that, diesels require more maintenance than their gas counter-parts and are more costly to do so. Maintain her, and she'll treat you right, decreasing your frustrations. I wish you luck in your repairs.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with Rich about if you didn't change out the o-rings, you could have an oil leak there.

And like David said, the pipes aren't lined up correctly on the back of the turbo. The clamp won't make the exhaust pipe line up, it has to be lined up before the clamp is tightened. Otherwise you will get some smoke out of that connection, coupled by a loss of power (can't build proper boost).

Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The work you did would not cause any damage unless you plugged the intakes with something while you had it apart and forgot to pull it out or you dropped something in them.