6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

$8 buck oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
So you guys just confirmed the stories I have heard of everything from Jiffy Lube to the dealerships. I can do the oil change on my '15 6.7 but I don't want to void the warranty. Is this the case if I do it myself, even if I keep the receipts?
I used to think the same , these guys on here set me straight! Do it yourself you'll feel better! Thx again Rodney

Old 02-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
So you guys just confirmed the stories I have heard of everything from Jiffy Lube to the dealerships. I can do the oil change on my '15 6.7 but I don't want to void the warranty. Is this the case if I do it myself, even if I keep the receipts?
You certainly won't void the warranty by doing your own maintenance. Keep receipts for your purchases, or at very least a record of what you did and when.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Let's see, in the last 25 years, and after the vehicle is out of warranty....

1.) I've let Discount Tire mount, balance and occasionally rotate tires on my vehicles with me watching them like a hawk.
2.) I've let Toyota or Honda align the IFS front ends on the wife's vehicles. I do the alignments on my solid axle rigs.

....and that's it. Nobody else touches my vehicles (unless it's a new vehicle under warranty) until I'm too old or infirm to do the work myself and even then I'll be watching to make sure they do it right.

While I could easily afford to have someone else do this work for me, I prefer to do things myself, making sure it was done right and I was fortunate enough to have a father teach me the basics early on.

Funny story, I acquired a 1993 vehicle, not knowing it had an R-12 refrigerant system. You've probably heard that R-12 is unobtanium and it's true that no AC tech or shop will touch a vehicle with an R-12 system and they all say how hard it is to do AC work. For $20, 2 beers and 2 hours of my time online, you too can become a certified automotive AC tech and buy R-12 from Napa for $30 a can. Without the card, the price goes up to $8999 a can. No joke.

Adam

Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R

Funny story, I acquired a 1993 vehicle, not knowing it had an R-12 refrigerant system. You've probably heard that R-12 is unobtanium and it's true that no AC tech or shop will touch a vehicle with an R-12 system and they all say how hard it is to do AC work. For $20, 2 beers and 2 hours of my time online, you too can become a certified automotive AC tech and buy R-12 from Napa for $30 a can. Without the card, the price goes up to $8999 a can. No joke.

Adam
I have a whole case of the stuff that I would like to trade for a 2017 when available.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 PM
arniet
Mountain Pass
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Darn, I paid $13 in Mississippi. When you have traveled across the country and are camping your way back home you have to trust somebody. You know the change oil now warning, and yep, I did change it just before I left. The campground would have a cow if you change your own. So give the boys at Wally World exactly 13Q and 1 filter. Watch from the window, then check the plug and filter and oil level.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Sam4d
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the knowledge

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Got a shock when I took Jeep down to Jiffy lube where I have been going for 5 years...$11 per quart for Penz Synth. Paid $104 buck bill for 6 qt of oil and told them I would never be back. Stopped off at Wal Mart to check on the price of oil as the guy claimed they make no money on the oil, just on the labor. Yep, Wal Mart has same exact oil for $5 per qt.

I am talking to Auto svc mgr and tell him of my rip off by Jiffy lube. He says we don't advertise this, but if you buy the oil and filter here or just bring in your own oil and filter we just charge $8 bucks to change oil and filter only.

I said does that go for F 350 Diesel? YEP, we do them all the time here.

Know where my next oil changes for ALL my cars will be...$8 buck Chuck.
Many Thanks to you for sharing this with us!

My husband never lets anyone touch our truck, though, with the majority of our time spent traveling, he said for our next oil change this will most likely be the means to which he'd allow it to be serviced (granted he could at least watch from nearby). He has good reason for his hast towards service stations, as I'm sure you & most forum members do as well. I do always make a valiant effort in making sure he has all the OEM Parts along with all tools needed to perform the next scheduled maintenance/service for those days to be as hassle-free as possible.

THANKS AGAIN for thinking to share this info! We truly appreciate saving money & others sharing good info.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:41 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam4d
Many Thanks to you for sharing this with us!

My husband never lets anyone touch our truck, though, with the majority of our time spent traveling, he said for our next oil change this will most likely be the means to which he'd allow it to be serviced (granted he could at least watch from nearby). He has good reason for his hast towards service stations, as I'm sure you & most forum members do as well. I do always make a valiant effort in making sure he has all the OEM Parts along with all tools needed to perform the next scheduled maintenance/service for those days to be as hassle-free as possible.

THANKS AGAIN for thinking to share this info! We truly appreciate saving money & others sharing good info.
Thank you and FYI here is what you get for $8 buck chuck.

You buy oil and YES they have it all to include T 6 Shell Rotella. You buy it first or bring it in and buy or bring your filter.

They rack it, pull plug and filter, drain, replace, lift hood put in the amount of oil you gave them, you hand them $8 and head for the gate. And NO they do not mind you standing there and looking on to make sure its all right with you.

Down where I live they all gather round and ask about my King Ranch and oooh and ahhh at the big dually. I would caution anyone that if you pull in and they ask what is a diesel and how come you got such wide fenders you might want to drive a bit further out in the country..*****rcise common sense!

NOTE: They don't check your tires, belts, hoses, air filter or anything else...

Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Sam4d
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
;-)

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Thank you and FYI here is what you get for $8 buck chuck.

You buy oil and YES they have it all to include T 6 Shell Rotella. You buy it first or bring it in and buy or bring your filter.

They rack it, pull plug and filter, drain, replace, lift hood put in the amount of oil you gave them, you hand them $8 and head for the gate. And NO they do not mind you standing there and looking on to make sure its all right with you.

Down where I live they all gather round and ask about my King Ranch and oooh and ahhh at the big dually. I would caution anyone that if you pull in and they ask what is a diesel and how come you got such wide fenders you might want to drive a bit further out in the country..*****rcise common sense!

NOTE: They don't check your tires, belts, hoses, air filter or anything else...
Awesome! I saved both posts for Tim to later reference also.

Thank again! :-)

Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I used to have my oil changed at Wal-Mart all the time back in the early-mid 2000's. I could get the oil changed on my 7.3l diesel for $39 total with Shell Rotella (non syn). It was the same basic deal you describe. I couldn't really justify doing it myself. Most of the time they would let me stand out there with them and chat while they did it, so I had no real reservations about it. I live 15 minutes from the nearest oil change place now, so I do my own.