1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch Recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a 95 powerstroke soon for really cheap. Its going to have it's guts transplanted into my Bronco, but in the meantime I would like it driveable.

I don't know the exact issue yet as I haven't gone to see it, but the add states "transmission went out so currently doesn't drive." Based on my experiences before, a manual transmission doesn't just "go out", so I'm thinking it's possibly a clutch or hydraulics. If it really is the transmission, then it really doesn't matter because its a 2wd ZF5 and I'm getting a 4wd one to replaced that when it goes in my Bronco, but I'd like to get this truck moving in the meantime if possible.

I've replaced many clutches before, but never on a diesel. Pretty much every gas engine I've done, the clutch kits range from 100-200 for a decent OEM replacement, but this appears NOT to be the case for a diesel. Some clutch kits I see online are only around 150, but others are upwards of 700 dollars, and besides some coming with flywheels, I don't know the reasoning for major price differences.

Do you guys have any recommendations on what clutch kit to get? I've seen some people say they spent 1200 bucks for a clutch kit.... I won't be doing any towing any time soon and I'd rather stay on the cheaper side, so hopefully there is something not too expensive. If there is something in the 200-300 dollar range or cheaper, that would be awesome. I don't know yet whether the truck has a dual mass or single mass setup.

Apart from not knowing which to get, does it make a huge difference between 7.3 years for which clutch kit to get? Currently, the truck is a 95 2wd powerstroke, but the transmission I'm going to be using eventually in my bronco is a 92 ZF5. Will the same clutch kit work for both setups? I see they list different kits for 88-94, then again from 94-98, then one more time for 99-03.

Another thing, I've always dropped manual transmissions myself without a jack. The M5OD on my Bronco and T5 on my Camaro seem pretty light. Can this transmission be removed and replaced without a transmission jack? If not, I'll have to run to harbor freight to get a transmission jack. EDIT: It looks as if this transmission weights around 200 pounds so I'm thinking a jack is pretty important. Will a harbor freight tranny jack work well for this situation?

One last side question. The ZF5 I'm getting comes with a T-Case that I believe is the same as what my Bronco has. The guy won't separate selling me just the transmission. Is 750 for both a good deal? I haven't been able to find a 4wd ZF5 around here, so I don't think I have too much of a choice.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
You must get the clutch kit for the 94.5-97 truck, if you are replacing the flywheel too. the flywheel on the 88-94 will not bolt up to the stroke engine. The 99-03 trucks use a zf6 tranny, and the input shaft is larger on the zf6. Out here, the zf5 4x4 tranny sells for around 1000 and the transfer case sells for 900 from a junk yard, last I knew. So 750 for both is a good deal IMO. Depending on the year of your bronco, both trucks used the 1356 transfercase, and would be enter changeable. The last clutch kit I used was from NAPA, because I live in a small town, and it was the only game in town, other than the Ford store. Plus my brother owned the Napa store, and I got a good deal on it. The down side it was made in China, but I don't have any complaints on it so far. I have around 40k on it, some of the miles towing heavy.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thank you that definitely clears some things up. I'll look for an early powerstroke clutch kit then for sure. As for your NAPA kit, how much money did that cost you? If the clutch has never been changed on this truck before, can I assume it has the dual mass flywheel? Also, what's the difference between installation of a solid mass and dual mass flywheel?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Install procedure is the same between the two flywheels.

If you're leaving the engine stock, get a LUK single mass conversion kit and call it good.

If you're going to increase the power one day, we need to talk about your goals and how you use the truck to figure out what clutch to put in it.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Thank you that definitely clears some things up. I'll look for an early powerstroke clutch kit then for sure. As for your NAPA kit, how much money did that cost you? If the clutch has never been changed on this truck before, can I assume it has the dual mass flywheel? Also, what's the difference between installation of a solid mass and dual mass flywheel?
IIRR $360 range, but I paid 10% over store cost. If the clutch has never been changed, it would have the dual mass flywheel, which is a ticking time bomb. That is the reason for the last install, along with the tranny as when the DMF went south it cracked the tranny bell. The install would be the same, but the single mass clutch has always operated easier

Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm well for now it's going to be stock because I don't believe I can afford any performance parts. Eventually, I'd like to build it up slightly, but probably nothing too crazy. I will tow here and there, but nothing like a 5th wheel or super big boat. I don't believe the short wheel base and height of my Bronco is the most optimum for towing anything too large.

I'll look for a LUK single mass conversion kit then to purchase!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Valiar 13" HD organic. it comes with a new flywheel and a 13" disk. Perfect for a stock truck or one with MILD upgrades. Mine held up great to 300hp/500tq towing regularly

Performance Clutch - Ford PowerStroke

BTW I have a Brand New one in the box Minus the flywheel. If you are intruded PM me

Old 02-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
YOu can do the swap with a 2 floor jacks or a trans jack and a floor jack.

YOu "can" do it with just the trans jack, but its easier if you have something on the output shaft.

The harbor freight one is fantastic.

Dont expect the turn dials to do much for you, but if you weld nuts on the end after taking off the plastic turn things, you can stick a wrench on them and they will work good.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I do ZFs with no jack at all. Just some pull style tie down straps.

And when I dont use them, I use just simple floor jack. No need for 2 jacks or a trans jack

Old 02-12-2016, 06:33 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest valair and if you tell them fte sent you 10% discount it's always worked for me