1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

4 timing chains w a single cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:44 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
4 timing chains w a single cam

I had to show you guys this. I was removing the timing cover on my 98 Explorer, because the gasket ( where the water pump mounts to the timing cover) was leaking. I've read on line that the rattling during startup maybe becuse of a worn or missing timing chain guide or tenisioner. Off came the cover and that's when the pain began. This (German built) engine has 4 chains. You can see the smaller one is off of both sprockets. That smaller shaft goes to the back of the engine, then up to run the cam. The right side has the same thing. Now I now why so many Explores are in the JY! It's a 16 hour shop job to repair/replace the timing chains. A parts kit runs between $425 and $365. Not to mention you have to have 3 different camshaft tools and one to hold the crankshaft in place to time the whole mess. Here are some pics.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro

This is the left hand side jackshaft and the chain has jumped the tracks

Sorry about the fuzzy photo. You can see in the background the other sprocket for the jackshaft and the main chain trying to come off at the bottom right.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:53 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro

this wider view shows the whole mess

These came out of the front of the oil pan

Old 02-10-2016, 03:55 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
This is just another reason why I prefer working on the old 360. Now we all know how heavy and rusty everything can be, but at least it's simple!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 AM
Rasputin53
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I rebuilt the Cologne push rod V6 in my wife's 94 Explorer. At least it was an old fashioned push rod motor and not the OHC. Still, there's about a dozen different flavors of the Cologne V6 and I ended up going to the dealer on many occasions for this special o-ring set for the oil filter relocator, or the oil pan gland gasket, and a number of other special parts that were not correct in the 'rebuild kit.'
On my 22R I used the steel backed chain guides. Seems they design the originals for 'planned obsolescence' which usually results in having to replace the TC cover as well.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have an exploder as well. After fixing one thing after the next I got fed up with it and had a demo derby in my yard. The exploder along with acouple other cars were hauled off to the scrap yard afterwards. That was the best decision I made with that SUV haha. Those timing chains are ridiculous to fix. I'm glad I stick to my classics for the most part now so I don't have to deal with headaches like that.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
it ran like that ?????????????????

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing like Fords eh?

Ever own a Taurus? I had two of them (96 and 98) at the same time. Until then I'd never seen a car just fall apart on its own before. A buddy of mine told me that's what would happen and I didn't believe him. He was correct. It's absolutely incredible. I can vouch that model of Taurus is a complete heap-o-snit. They drive beautifully smoot but are just absolute crap. The only good thing is there is a plethora of used parts in the junkyards.

The 96 blew while my dad was driving it down the highway. The problem the earlier models had was the engine rust in the coolant passages would plug up the heater core which was part of the cooling system. I had to flush the rust from that core a dozen times. I told dad not to take it on the highway but he didn't listen.

The 98 is still on the road but it looks like Frankenstein. It has ~195,000 miles on it and I can now predict when certain parts will fail. I sold it for $300 to someone who needed a hoopty real bad. I told the guy if you get a year out of it you will be ahead of the game. In comparison, my 94 Suburban has 205,000 miles on it and has required minimal maintenance.

My brother and my good friend have identical 2004 F150s and ever since they've both rounded 100,000 miles it's one thing after another.

I'm not a Ford or Chevy or Dodge, or anything guy. But I will never, ever buy another Ford as long as I live. If anything I'm a Honda guy. I have two Honda motorcycles and two Accords and they're nearly bullet proof and very easy to work on.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
The Germans and Brits are renown for over-engineering stuff. They build a few really good things at a very high price (e.g. Bosch appliances and Mercedes autos) but we can flood the market with medium-quality low-priced stuff.
I think what you posted up is a prime example of why we drive our old iron.
Simplicity.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Google "camshaft variator" and things get real interesting and complicated....

Old 02-10-2016, 03:53 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CougarJohn
The Germans and Brits are renown for over-engineering stuff. They build a few really good things at a very high price (e.g. Bosch appliances and Mercedes autos) but we can flood the market with medium-quality low-priced stuff.
If you live in Germany, Mercedes Benz vehicles aren't high priced. And Paulaner beer is dirt cheap and Budweiser is the expensive import.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm not going to stand up for nor condemn the Taurus'. Nor do I want to disrespect anybody, but rust in the cooling system?!? Multiple times? Something(s) should have been attended to Long before that engine blew.

This reminds me of when I hear people complaining about how a Ford is a POS. It has nothing to do with all the Aftermarket oil filters, air filters, belts, hoses, brake pads, rotors, M/S, tranny filter, t-stat, etc, etc. No not that.
They don't realize why it doesn't run or drive as good. Parts other than the normal (like above) wear and tear items start falling apart. Guess who started that? Wasn't Ford most times. Like 6.0L guys who buy aftermarket oil filters. Which don't position the anti drainback and pressure valve in the right spot. After a while the oil pressure fired injectors go out. They are related as per Ford. Then the owner complains about Ford and the 6.0L. Sheesh. On your newer vehicles guys buy the manufacturer's parts that were designed for the WHOLE vehicle. No matter which one. You can pay a parts guy a little more now or a service department a Lot later.
Sorry for the rant folks.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:51 AM
cowboylogic57
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
I fully agree with Jeff on this. I'm a firm believer on this newer stuff its really important to go with OEM parts....whether it's Ford, GM, Deere, CNH, or whatever make it is.
Just my opinion, of course.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I had an 04 Sable that was a great driving car but a royal pain to work on. I got it due to three failures- The a/c compressor, water pump, and trans cooler all failed. Except for the water pump it got all used parts. The a/c compressor couldn't be bypassed, and the power to the clutch also ran the IAC, so when the bearing died it wouldn't idle either. The trans cooler in the radiator failed, turning the coolant into pink foam which also killed the water pump seal. Once that stuff was fixed it was decently reliable.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:16 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
Out of all my fords the only one I had big problems with was a 1997 f150 that needed the trans replaced at 35000 miles. I have a 2003 f150 now with 157000 miles and had to replace the rear u joint, the passenger side exhuast manifold and the rear shocks. I have done the brakes several times, the tires a few times and one power steering line. It still has the original fan belt. I love my fords and have owned 17 of them. The oldest being a 1968 f100 to the newest 2016 escape. Today we have a 1970 f250, 2003 f150, 2012 focus and the 2016 escape. We have owned two non fords, one chevy impala and a toyota rav4. The impala was a 1978 and a great car. The rav4 was a 2004 and my wife hated it, it was reliable but she hated the brakes.

Quick Reply: 4 timing chains w a single cam