2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly removal

Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight assembly removal

Is it hard to remove the headlamp assembly. I am only asking because i am considering purchasing smoked/blackened headlamps and tailights on ebay. Anyone have any experience with this? I admit I haven't really looked at them before I asked this question, but thought I would see if any other guys had done this.
Thanks.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Daughter just bought the smoke headlights in LED and installed. Said it was easy job... Claim there is "no adjustment" to align the lights ??

Also said the smoke SUCKS.. cant see anything out of them... But HEY.. I LOOKS KOOL !! ... Im going to check to see if they can be aligned, but considering taking them out and putting the originals or new CLEAR back in.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
Daughter just bought the smoke headlights in LED and installed. Said it was easy job... Claim there is "no adjustment" to align the lights ??

Also said the smoke SUCKS.. cant see anything out of them... But HEY.. I LOOKS KOOL !! ... Im going to check to see if they can be aligned, but considering taking them out and putting the originals or new CLEAR back in.
good info steve!! Thanks. Actually the ones I was looking at had clear lenses, just the housing was smoked. So I think visibility would be better than hers. Was just curious how bad removing the old housing was.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
check that the lenses are smoked and housing black. Can anyone else chime in on the visibility with the smoked lenses?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Start waving a big red flag that says....Please, please Mr. Police Officer....please pull me over and give a ticket...make it lots of tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:36 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Start waving a big red flag that says....Please, please Mr. Police Officer....please pull me over and give a ticket...make it lots of tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes that is something to consider. They say they are SAE and DOT approved but not sure if that means street legal or what. Plus I know a lot of that is up to the cop's judgement.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:13 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Check your state motor vehicle laws. Smoked or darkened taillights are most likely illegal, plus with lower light output your chances of being rear ended because the light is dimmer goes up

Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
Check your state motor vehicle laws. Smoked or darkened taillights are most likely illegal, plus with lower light output your chances of being rear ended because the light is dimmer goes up
that is true also. I will most likely not do anything. I do think it would look good for darkened headlamps and taillights on my truck, but of course there is the legality issue, and the money issue as well. I can't really justify spending 200 bucks on something just because I think it may be cool on my 12 year old truck...especially not when I got a wife and 2 kids and all the expenses that go along with that, as you guys well know.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
depends on where you live, most cops have better **** to do then pull you over for smoked headlights...its illegal here in wa i think but ive always had them and never gotten pulled over... its super easy to do though i have the same exact year and everything... i bought the projector halo headlights just because i wanted something brighter than my stock ones, and my stock ones were smoked which didnt help. i love the new ones though, look awesome and they are way brighter. only took about 30 mins to switch them out

Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Thanks for the info Derrick. I had seen a pair like those. Where did you get yours from? They look like these here:

For 04 08 F150 Black Smoked Halo Projector Headlights Smoked LED Tail Lights | eBay

those seem expensive but I would like taillights too.

or there is these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-Ford-F...RWQtm9&vxp=mtr

much cheaper, but has a clear lens with black housing. Not sure that would look as good.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
yes those are them i got them off ebay, only got the headlights so far, getting the tail lights later. but yeah i love them they look awesome, obviously the picture only shows the halos on but the headlights are bright, and the brights are super bright, huge difference..

yea im not a huge fan of the second link you posted, dont like the tail lights at all.

if you look for the top link seperatly, you can find the head lights for about 130$ and tail lights for about 120$ so total of 250$...best prices i found. and it doesnt hurt as much having to pay it all at once lol...

Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Thanks again for the info Derrick. I got a couple more questions if you don't mind. Are the halo lights on all the time like a day time running lamp? And what about the wiring in these? Was it a plug and play or did you have to splice wires together? If so which ones? Thanks for all your info!

Edit: 1 more question. Did you get the CCFL ones? I see some of them say that and some don't. Not sure what it means Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Yes i got the CCFL ones. Here are the differences..

CCFL is dimmer than LED halos, they are bright at night but hard to see during the day,,but i wasnt planning on driving with halos on during the day.LEDs are visible during the day.
CCFL is one big halo and looks smooth all the way around with even lighting, LED halos have lots of little LEDs around the halo and you can see each individual light.

certain LEDs can change colors, be controlled by a remote, or sound activation. but are more expensive

then theres plasma, which is like CCFL but bright so you can see during the day, but they are more expensive..

the halos need to be splices into the parking brake light so they turn on like running lights, ill admit i was lazy though, and my truck already has multiple toggle switches wired in the cab for light bars, fog lights, winch, all those things, so i just wired my halos to one of those for now, figured id do the splicing to the parking brake later.

either one you choose though they all last forever, so the halos should never go out, you can run them the whole time everytime you drive and they will never go out..

Old 02-12-2016, 07:51 AM
bigunit54
Elder User
Lot of good info Derrick, thanks. Did you get the Spyder brand, is that what yours are? I searched a review of them and saw that some guys were complaining about them getting water inside, that is not a biggie, just need to silicone the seal before install, but I did see some complaints about fitment, saying they left a bigger gap with the truck body around the light, that would bother me. Also, some guys said the adjustment left a lot to be desired, that they couldn't adjust it like they needed to make it shine right. I did see that Anzo makes one, It is a little different look, I like the look of it but it is more expensive than the Spyder light. It had some negative comments too, didn't seem like quite as many though. I do thank you for all your help, much appreciated, guys like you make this forum good. I'm not sure I will do anything, what's holding me back is the expense obviously, would be a lot of money(plus I would want to put on "dark" fog lights too to match), but also concerns about adjustment and fitment. The wiring seems easy enough, I have seen some guys have detailed write ups on what parking light wire to get into. I do have a smoked LED 3rd brake light on the way from Anzo that I am going to install, that is what started me looking at all this. I think that will look good on, that might push me to do it. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

I like this design from Anzo, they are a new design I think, but they are really HIGH.
Amazon.com: AnzoUSA (111288) Headlight: Automotive Amazon.com: AnzoUSA (111288) Headlight: Automotive

Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
no problem glad i could help out.

yea mine are spyder. i havent had any issues at all, they fit good, and were already pointing in the right spot so didnt have to try to adjust them at all.. and idk ive only had them for about 3-4 months but havent gotten any leaks or water in them yet.. and i live by seattle in washington so we get plenty of rain here, and ive mobbed through some pretty big puddles and no problems yet.. i have a aftermarket iron cross bumper and mines lifted, so idk if their gap was bigger on the bottom were it meets the bumper and if their lights were pointing too low, but mine was fine..

but yea i think lights make a huge difference in the look of a vehicle. i plan on getting a 3rd brake light and tail lights next, but mine are just smoked for now. and plan on going with the projector fog lights with the halos to match also.. i think the headlights would look great with your black truck too..but yeah they are a little expensive but for me it was definitly worth it, love the look and i needed something brighter since i smoked my front headlights and it made them really dim. and these new headlights are a lot brighter..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight assembly removal