6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Water in DEF tank ???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it could go by the electrical resistance of the fluid in the DEF tank by measuring between the various probes.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 AM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has to be measured at the exhaust because if you play games with diluted DEF (or remember the recent thread about using ammonia in lieu of DEF?) the system simply dumps more fluid in to accomplish the cleansing reaction. I can't say I've tried it or would try it to answer the question for anyone. That was one of the all-time fail threads.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm curious how the truck "knows" the DEF is contaminated? I think the only way it concludes this is based upon the reporting of the NOx sensor. Basically the tank contains a heating circuit, the pump, and the 4 electrodes for measuring DEF level. The tank heater, pump heater, and line heaters are all controlled by two power circuits (MOSFETS, I think) in the glow plug module. They only heat based upon ambient temp. The pump cannot detect what it is pumping, and I don't believe the electrodes can do anything other than detect level by conductivity. That leaves only the dosing injector and the NOx sensor. The injector verifies its own operation and can report a fault code if it is not working properly...as can the NOx sensor. Therefore, if the PCM notes that their is DEF in the tank, the DEF injector is working, and the NOx is also working, but the NOx reading is not within acceptable range, the system concludes that the DEF is contaminated. DEF can get old and not perform as intended, or something other than DEF could be added (like water). The NOx is foolproof - the EPA wins if there is too much NOx coming out the tailpipe; the truck derates or shuts down.
I don't know enough about the inner workings of the design or the sensors onboard to be able to tell you with certainty what sets the "DEF contaminated" error, but I can only assume it happens as you describe. I can also tell you that it has been reported and handled by at least one member of the forum.

This was from a thread started by Justin "Iron Cobra".