1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Painting Safety Precaution Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painting Safety Precaution Questions

Hi guys, I'm starting a new project and although it's not a truck, it is related. I'm ready to paint my chassis. It's bare metal now with some WD 40 sprayed on to hold off flash rust. It's wet around here. I want to use an epoxy primer to seal the metal. I'm thinking of doing the primer myself, however I've read enough horror stories about illnesses from toxic paints. I've done fiberglass work and some epoxy casting, but no spraying.
1. Do I need a "moon" suit ?
2. Do I need a fresh air supply or will a respirator do ?
3. Product suggestions ?
In a related question, how big does my compressor need to be ? Using HVLP gun.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This isn't a "truck" question, but I trust you guys.

Dean

Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Respirator with filters made for painting, they are not all the same. Fan running pointing outwards, causing a suction, somewhere for air to get in that doesn't cross the path of what you're painting to get to the fan. Usually you run it along side where you can walk.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a big fan of fresh air supply system and full face mask (hood) and fully body suit. Respirators require filter changes based on when you first open the sealed package and its expiration from the time you open it. ISO's enter your body thru your eyes as well, so a respirator without eye protection is not protecting your eyes. If you are going to spray a frame with epxoy that contains ISO's, investing in a fresh air supply system is going to cost you more than the cost of having the frame powder coated or sprayed by a professional who is equipped to do it. If you are going to spray more than just your frame, and you plan on spraying ISO products, investing in a fresh air supply system is worth it. Another option if you want to do the frame yourself it to use non ISO products. Some can be brushed on with very good success and face respirators are adequate protection. You just have to remember when using face respirators, the filters expire and you have to replace them.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Hi guys, I'm starting a new project and although it's not a truck, it is related. I'm ready to paint my chassis. It's bare metal now with some WD 40 sprayed on to hold off flash rust. It's wet around here. I want to use an epoxy primer to seal the metal. I'm thinking of doing the primer myself, however I've read enough horror stories about illnesses from toxic paints. I've done fiberglass work and some epoxy casting, but no spraying.
1. Do I need a "moon" suit ?
2. Do I need a fresh air supply or will a respirator do ?
3. Product suggestions ?
In a related question, how big does my compressor need to be ? Using HVLP gun.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This isn't a "truck" question, but I trust you guys.

Dean
A "moon suit" is made to keep contaminants from leaving your clothes and getting into the fresh paint...so no, you won't need it. A respirator with an activated carbon canister will do fine. I recommend KBS Rust Seal, it is a rust-encapsulating paint that has super adhesion and is tough...better yet, it's a one step process. For spraying a frame you will not need a lot of CFM since you will not be using a large fan pattern on your spray gun. Here is a pic of the frame on my car trailer...it is painted with KBS Rust Seal and no primer. One of the nice features of this paint is that it will flow into every crack and crevice to seal it from corrosion.

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/rustseal.html

I used the kbs rust seal also. This stuff is hard and flows really nice. I used a brush for mine, does not look as nice as Charlies, but as Charlies shows it flows really nice and I feel if I would have used a better brush than the 99 cent Harbor Freight it would have been a lot better.
To answer your question, the protection kind of depends on the paint. I would say a set of coverall, glove, enclosed eye protection and a good respirator would be the bare minimum

Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'm building a highboy coupe, so the chassis and the body have to match or at least the chassis has to look as good. As outlaw said, it might be cheaper to pay to have it done as I would have to invest in equipment. Just have a 20 gal. compressor, no gun, air supply, etc. I would like to do it myself, but it may not be cost effective. l hate waiting for the painter to be ready or get it done within a reasonable time, but part of the madness I guess. I had bad luck when I had my truck painted. First time was a mess, second time they used the mess as primer and it came out OK. Someone locally who I trust recommended a painter he trusts and the guy still hasn't called me back after three tries.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Dont let me talk you out of it. If you stay away from products that have "ISO's), thats a game changer. I have seen some brushed on products that look awesome. You cant always tell they were brushed on if the product has good flow qualities. Other thing is I did not give a very good explanation on the moon suit. I just use painters overalls you can get at box stores for cheap. They primarly for keeping crud out of the paint, but I use them to cover any exposed skin if Im using ISO products. ISO's enter your lungs thru nose and mouth, eyes, and skin. Guessing they may even be attracted to the moist interior of the ear, but have never confirmed that. I would check out what products are available before I gave it up. Part of the fun of restoration is doing it yourself. It can get expensive real fast when you are only doing one piece of a project, or one project.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Yeah, I've restored cars before, but this one is kind of special to me and I'm trying to do the best I can on it. My Dad and I restored the same year coupe when I was in High School. I wanted to hot rod it, he wanted it stock. Now I'm making one a hot rod.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:23 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in my Navy days the guys in corrosion control would put a heavy coat of Vaseline on their exposed skin to keep the bad stuff out. They used a head sock and rubber gloves too along with goggles that form fit their face.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Informative thread. Are epoxy primers made with ISOs?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
All the epoxy primer I use if full of it. Check the product you want to use and it will tell you if it contains Isocyanates. If you wanna see some sad videos, watch the guys spraying epxoy primer on you tube with no protection.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
All the epoxy primer I use if full of it. Check the product you want to use and it will tell you if it contains Isocyanates. If you wanna see some sad videos, watch the guys spraying epxoy primer on you tube with no protection.
Boy, ain't that the truth. I just watched one today with a guy in a tee shirt and shorts spraying epoxy primer. I'ts like guys who weld with no arm or leg protection. That's how they show it in the mags too. I've been reading threads on other sites on this subject and bottom line is the stuff is toxic. Either you're prepared or you're not. I'm going to build it in bare steel. Get a dehumidifier for the shop and a light coat of wd 40 to protect it. When all mocked up, I'll take it apart and get it painted by someone who is willing to do it for a living. They don't all contain iso, eastwood's doesn't, but I've heard it's not great quality. The thing I've learned is the paint products work better if they are all from the same company, from primer to topcoat. Thanks to all who replied.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Boy, ain't that the truth. I just watched one today with a guy in a tee shirt and shorts spraying epoxy primer. I'ts like guys who weld with no arm or leg protection. That's how they show it in the mags too.

Boy, you said it. All those dumb build a hot rod in a week shows operate like that too. While I can't add much to your thread on the paint subject... Your right on there. And good on you for asking. I work a dangerous job for a living. I enjoy PPE. When I'm wrenching on the hot rod I take all my normal day to day safety culture into the garage.

I just don't feel comfortable without bieng all decked out in the best safety gear.

I saw a video the other day of a guy "teaching welding". He was wearing flip flops, shorts, and no gloves. C'mon. Flip flops?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
30+ years ago I got my first job in a small body shop. One of the first jobs I helped with was painting a front clip on a big truck. The shops didn't have spray booth,we painted in the open shop. After we laid our last coat of paint my boss pulled off his respirator, I folloewed and cleaned up and went home. This was about 1pm on Saturday, by 2:00 I could hardly breath, I stood in a hot steamy shower, coughing up blood trying to breath. I recovered and lived to remember it. I still spray paint but always with a respirator, never taking it off until I'm outside, in fresh air.